1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Evan Turner a bust?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

http://www.depressedfan.com/basketball/sixers/the-turner-problem.php

The Turner Problem

The excuses are starting to get to me. Evan Turner has been playing horribly passive basketball for the past six games. It's been glaring since Andre Iguodala returned from his achilles injury, but the problem didn't start there.

Excuses have been made for Turner since he first donned the Sixers jersey in Orlando for the Summer League. They've gone from rusty to out of shape to needing the ball in his hands to uncomfortable with certain teammates to all of the above. The one thing that simply hasn't been said is that Turner needs to take it upon himself to become an integral part of this team.

The most-recent excuse is that he can't play with Iguodala because he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Jrue Holiday needs the ball in his hands, he's able to play with Iguodala. Lou Williams needs the ball in his hands, he's able to play with Iguodala. Iguodala isn't exactly a gunner, his usage rate is below 20% for the season, the lowest it's been in years. Against Portland, AI9 only attempted four field goals in 42 minutes. Iguodala spent the summer sharing the floor with a bevy of ball-needy players and excelled in that role. The problem here isn't Iguodala's presence on the floor, it's Turner's refusal to assert himself.

Whatever the reason - be it a lack of comfort, a lack of confidence, insecurity, unfamiliarity with his teammates and the pace of the NBA game, fear of making mistakes - he needs to get over it. Far too often, it looks like Turner is feeling sorry for himself out on the floor. Doug Collins has handed him the starting SG position and the third-most minutes on the team. That starting spot may disappear shortly, possibly even for Friday night's game against the Hawks, and that might not be a bad thing.

In the past, I've been a huge proponent of rookies getting playing time. Under most circumstances, I think every minute spent on the floor is worth 100 in practice. In Turner's case, though, I'm not sure how much experience he's getting out of these minutes. Standing in the corner, passing the ball at the earliest opportunity, and not in a way that's improving the team's odds of scoring ... I don't see how that's moving him toward being a productive offensive player.

Doug Collins isn't without blame for the situation, but one thing you can't fault him for is Turner's minutes. The kid has been shamefully gun shy and there are times when you can't have that. Up until about five games ago, you could make the case that his rebounding and defense were enough to keep him on the floor, but the rebounding has dropped off precipitously and there have been a few too many lapses on the defensive end as well. Collins has probably given Turner more minutes than his play has warranted. No, Doug's sin has been his passivity in the handling of Turner.

Collins has said time and time again that Turner is having a hard time transitioning off the ball, and he's also said Turner is searching for his confidence. There's a simple solution, it's one Collins himself came up with at the beginning of the season. Let Turner run the point with the second unit. The only problem is, Turner was always the point guard in name only. Since opening night, Lou Williams has been playing the point and positively dominating the ball for the second unit. When Turner has been out there with the starters, I can't remember a single time when Collins put the ball in Turner's hands and let him orchestrate a play. He's got sets in there designed to get Thad the ball facing the hoop just above the foul line. He's got pick and rolls to get Jrue into the paint. He's got cluster screens to get Iguodala the ball moving to the hoop. He's got something to play to each of his players' strengths, but nothing to get the ball to Turner on the perimeter in an iso. Turner doesn't even get to run the pick-and-roll.

It's a two-part solution, really. Collins has given Turner the minutes and Turner has done nothing with the opportunity. It's time for the kid to start demanding the ball. Every time you get the ball, you look to make a play first. Every time you're on the floor, you're aggressive, on both ends. Make it so Collins has no choice but to play you through your rookie struggles, even if your shot isn't falling. Once the minutes are earned, and you can visibly see Turner taking an active role in the offense, then it's on Collins to create situations where he can be successful, then you build on that success.

I don't doubt there's a productive player somewhere inside Evan Turner. Unfortunately, we've only seen a few flashes, and not nearly enough for Collins to keep playing him heavy minutes in the hopes Turner will organically emerge from his shell. I wish a more concerted effort had been made by this point to get Turner into his comfort zone, but he seems to be getting more and more lost. It's time to shift the burden onto him and see what he's made of.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evan Turner: Turner continues to struggle

Evan Turner - G - PHI - Dec. 1 - 12:02 pm et

In the five games since Andre Iguodala has returned from a heel injury, Evan Turner is averaging 3.6 points, 2.0 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game.
    These are almost laughable numbers for a starting shooting guard and No. 2 overall pick in the draft. It's not like Turner is a raw freshman coming into the NBA either -- he was a three-year player at Ohio State. Turner is showing no signs that he is anything more than a run-of-the-mill NBA player. Dec. 1 - 12:02 pm et

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...news.asp?sport=NBA&id=1701&line=145189&spln=1

2. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Derrick Favors PF
    PPG RPG
    6.5 5.5

Evan Turner SG
    PPG APG
    7.7 2.1

not lookin' good. :rolleyes:

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

too early to call him a bust.

...but yea...he'll be a bust.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

favors is the youngest player in the league and he is only playing 18 mpg. his numbers aren't bad at all.

5. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

Favors as just turned 19, he is going to be a monster

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem with Turner is that he doesn't really have a set shot and neither is he freakishly athletic. Why was he the universally regarded as the 2nd pick in the draft? I have no idea, I always thought he would be a bust (for his draft position) along with Wesley Mathews.

Anyway, IMHO the best position for Turner is actually the pg slot, Turner has good vision and his solid D along with his length should make him rondo-light. Unfortunately though sixers already have their pg so Turner isn't being played to his strengths right now.

P.S. Favors will be a beast. The nets must be really patting themselves on the back by not buying the Cousins hype.

7. ThaShark316_28

This thread = why the internet sucks sometimes.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Thought he's the second coming of Brandon Roy, nvm

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

I remember people saying he was the most ready NBA prospect.

10. PeppermintCandy

I haven't followed the sixers at all, but not all rookies should be thrown into the starting lineup and asked to contribute right away. The "sink or swim" method often seems detrimental to the development of a young player.

That's why I really respect the way Adelman has handled the Rockets' young guys.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Way too early to call Evan Turner a bust. Give him at least half the season before starting to draw conclusions. It takes some rookies a while to "get it" and play up to their abilities. I think it is safe to say he hasn't adjusted to NBA basketball. While watching one of their games, an announcer said Turner was having a lot of problems learning to play off the ball instead of at the point position.

12. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I love how you omitted the fact that Turner is averaging 5.2 RPG

13. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I guess I never thought of it that way.

Had the Rockets somehow drafter Turner, he would've been sent to the D-League, brought back up to cover for all the injuries, and played hard to try and get a spot on the roster in the few minutes he was given.

Just giving a rookie a starting spot without really earning it hurts more than people think.

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I don't disagree with your opinion of Adelman but it's not like he's had top prospects to deal with like Cousins or Turner. Brooks and Landry were late 1st/early 2nd rounders and Hill's value was pretty low despite being a top 10 pick. None of them were elite picks like Turner thus the expectations were pretty low.

When your franchise is god-awful-terrible and gets a high pick, you pretty have to play him whether he's ready or not. If you try and go slow and steady you'll both continue to lose and alienate the fan base. The talent pool in the NBA is too shallow not to. If by some magic chance the Rockets were the worst team in the league and had Cousins I bet you Adelman be playing him a lot.

15. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

This was a bad fit from the start. 76ers should have taken Favors or Cousins. The 76ers have to many young guys that need the ball and none of them are particularly useful off the ball.

I have never understood why teams draft a player out of college and then want him to do something he never did in college. Turner is a lead guard with a shakey jumper. Hey, lets put him into position without the ball so he has to take a bunch of jumpshots and act confused about why it is not working.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'd wonder if they would trade Evan Turner for Kevin Martin, who is great at playing off the ball. He would be a great compliment to Jrue Holiday and Iggy, given that both like to create for others off the dribble.
    --------------
    Kevin Martin
    Chuck Hayes(expiring contract/filler)
    2012 NY pick

for

Evan Turner
    Andres Nocioni (bad contract)

--------------

On our side, I think Evans and Brooks could compliment each other greatly, Evan can run the offense(while brooks plays more of a SG role) and can also add some much needed defense to the starting back court.

--RB

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

They said the same thing about Harden.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

No way Rockets pull that trigger, we'd give up our leading scorer and a draft pick for an unproven rookie and a bad contract.

19. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

He seems like a nice kid trying to learn their system so I doubt they move him anytime soon BUT I do think he doesn't fit well with Iggy and that makes Iggy VERY movable, in fact, almost a lock to get traded after December 15th.

I agree 100%, the kid is a point forward and should have the ball in his hands to be effective but probably won't get that chance. He can still be effective and become a nice piece to their puzzle but moves need to be made.

#19 rockets934life, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

T-mac had the same problem.

He needs to let the game find him and stop forcing.