1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Doc Rivers overrated?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockbox, Jan 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The clips pretty much have the same record as last season with Vinny as the coach.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

no, but coaching and how it affects teams is completely overrated

1 person likes this.
  3. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

^

According to Morey, good coaching is only worth around 5 wins.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I would disagree with that. I think Doc is doing a great job. Their starters play solid defense now. They were generally terrible last year.

Their record might be similar to last year's, which is normal with a coach trying to implement a new system (and some injuries).

But I think they will be a much more dangerous playoffs team.

If I have to pick the most likely conference winner right now, I'm picking Thunder (if they get healthy), then Spurs, and then the Clippers. Warriors, Blazers, Rockets have talent to be there as well of course, but the Clippers look closer to me. They don't look like just a good regular season team anymore, their starters are now playing good basketball on both ends.

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

overrated possibly, he's defiantly a great coach

6. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

They are missing their best player in Chris Paul, they have had 2 new starters to adjust, they have no decent bigs off the bench.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Incredibly. When he quit on Orlando he was considered a bad coach. He ends up in Boston when they wanted to suck, and well, he sucked. Then they pulled off that miracle franchise saving offseason and with a roster of hall of famers Rivers became a "great coach."

It's amazing, that one offseason turned Rivers into a good coach and totally rehabilitated the image of Danny Ainge who was seen as a terrible personnel man prior to that offseason. The annual rumors in Boston about him finally getting the ax calmed down after that deal.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

Did a healthy clippers team coached by doc get kicked out first round of the PLAYOFFS last night ? Did I miss something ?

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Paul was injured last year also and he's playing out of his mind this year.

10. yummyhawtsauce

Agreed, they are adjusting to a new coach. Doc is a proven coach who is intense and can gain the respect of his players to play defense.

McHale...? I d unno seems zombie like every time the camera pans to him.

11. dragician

dragician Member

it's the inconsistent flopping of CP3...

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Major truth in both of these sentiments on Doc. The year before the big trade, I thought Doc quit on the Celts.
    The comments about Ainge are exactly the way I remember.

Overrated or not, Doc is one of the best coaches in the NBA and the Clippers are my #2 pick to represent the WC in the Finals (after OKC). The key for them is CP3 and Blake being at their best in the playoffs unlike the last 2 years.

13. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

We shall see in the playoffs.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Popovich was supposedly a terrible coach as well. People were calling for him to get fired that year when Robinson was injured. Then they lucked into Duncan. A coach can only do so much.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No he wasn't. That was Pop's first year as coach (he fired Bob Hill during the season and took over). The Spurs had injuries all over the place and there were no expectations. Nobody said he was a terrible coach.

What people accused him of was rank opportunism and inserting himself into a situation that (for obvious reasons) could only get better.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

His addition to the clips was definitely over hyped.

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I remember Spurs fans calling for him to get fired that year. But that was many years ago, and if whichever of us is failed by memory here, no shame in it.

18. Nook

Nook Member

You do know that the criticism against Rivers has been the EXACT same as McHale?

First, the Celtics wanted a leader as a head coach when they hired Rivers.... the same model that the Rockets used.... which made sense, as Morey came from...... the Boston Celtics.

Rivers has long been criticized for his X's and O's and inability to make adjustments.

Now, magically Rivers gets the "respect" of his players and McHale doesn't??

Which is hilarious as there is no doubt that McHale has the respect of his players. His warts are not leadership related.

The LOF obsession with NBA head coaches is bizarre..... Rivers goes from being viewed as a mediocre retread coach to some HOF coach.... same with Spolstra, Mark Jackson and any other team with a good record... hell I remember when Phil Jackson and Popovich were considered questionable hires. Is the "great" Adelman now poor that he is in Minnesota?

Rivers is a solid coach, he isn't a miracle worker. His X's and O's are nothing special, but he is a confident coach that has been through the wars... PERIOD... the Clippers will go as far as Paul, Griffin, etc. take them.

19. Nook

Nook Member

There were a lot of snickers when Popovich stepped down from the front office to take over the Spurs...

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I like Doc. He's a great coach that holds is guys accountable. Him getting the most out of Rondo and the respect of his players is what I like