1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is David Carr really that good?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by haven, Jan 25, 2002.

1. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

I think ill just watch the Senior Bowl for him, but everytime i hear about him i just believe in him more and more.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Honestly, I think that McKinnie or Peppers should be the first pick.

Drafting Carr is going to be putting too much pressure on him. Look how long it has taken Couch. I really believe that the Texans can get a decent QB either through a trade or in the 2nd round.

Lest we also not forget the sad saga of Ryan Leaf.

McKinnie is a monster and you just don't see tackles like that every day. It's not like they are growing on trees.

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Carr's arm strength may have been underrated because he throws every ball with touch. He makes the intelligent pass before the athletic one. Just because he can rifle the ball doesn't mean that is the best way to pass. I think that is why scouts wre pleasantly surprised at his arm strength this past week.

Anyway, it takes more than arm strength to be a great NFL QB. Ask Ryan Leaf. Carr appears to have the intangibles, accuracy and precision that an NFL QB needs. Moreover, most of the reports from the Senior Bowl are extremely positive towards Carr:

"David Carr came out on top not only as a quarterback but as the best overall player. If there was any doubt he’s worthy of a top-10 selection next April, that’s been erased. Carr showed a variety of skills, doing all well. He’s not perfect, though, and has flaws, his release for one thing. Carr flings the ball from his ear, sometimes sidearming the pass but rarely over the top, as scouts prefer. The result was of much concern to those who watched him."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2002/01/25/senior_bowl/

Carr may be the top guy today. But he may not be after the NFL combine when the Texans get to test and prod McKinnie, Peppers et al.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the same thing. I also don't buy that Carr is the pick. I won't buy it until the Texans have a chance to buddy up with Peppers and Mckinnie, too. But I can't help but think that maybe there is something about Carr that the Texans love so much that Carr is just as good a prospect as the other guys. And great QBs don't grow on trees either. So when you have a QB, DE/OLB (I think Peppers fits the 3-4), and T all rated evenly by your staff, you take the QB.

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Peppers doesnt fit the Texans plans of running a team. Mckinnie is the safest bet to go with.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

except for the other two, likely, top 10 LT's that'll go in this draft.

first, a retraction -- kentucky was 7-4 and went to a bowl couch's junior year; for some reason, i thought they were 4-7. i suck.

anyway... i don't buy the notion his stats were padded because he played inferior talent. he beat COL, WIS and ORE. ST., and threw for over 500 yards against MSU. he has nothing to apologize for.

there are doubts about each of the players under consideration for the top slot. and check the numbers on carr -- his stats are video game-like (4,000+ yards, 42 TD's), he's extremely strong and he ran a 4.7/40 this week in mobile. i spoken with two independent scouts who were blown away by carr's performance this week.

there are no other franchise QB's available in this draft, save for possibly harrington, who i think is going to be brian griese-like (ie only as good as the team around him).

i think carr's better than that, tho, probably not by much. he's likely not a "hop on my shoulders" kind of guy, tho he did carry fresno state this year. but in terms of credentials, stats, measureables... carr compares favorably to any highly-rated QB the last few years.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen him play, but I remember reports that he had a slightly funky, kinda side-arm delivery. Any truth to this? Arm problems always worry me with funky deliveries in both football and baseball.

8. haven

haven Member

Do you really think they're McKinnie's equal? He's the most awe inspiring tackle I've ever seen. I'd probably trade the pick down, but if I were going to use it, I'd take McKinnie.

Ah, but Colorado is vulnerable through the air, Oregon St was mediocre, and Wisconson was decent in a huge down year for the Big 10. All those wins have an *. He never played anybody like Miami, Texas, or Oregon... teams that have the defensive backs to beat him.

I suppose that's true. Although a 4.7 ain't want it used to be ;).

I don't really like C arr or harrington, to be honest. I'd prefer to wait for Eli Manning.

Isn't that Rex Grossman? I don't remember anything odd about Carr's delivery.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Just remember, the Browns GM said that Akili Smith had the most impressive workout they have seen from any QB. I think that includes Elway and Batch (allegedly Batch was dynamite in his workout).

Nomar, no offense, but screw Gino Tor....errrr I mean Ken Dorsey . I don't think he's very highly rated.:D

I have a feeling that Harrington is gonna be special. Of course, I said that about McNown. I didn't know he would end up a knucklehead.

Manning looked great against LSU. He makes very quick decisions and he looks to have a fairly strong arm. Leftwich looked impressive as well.

Is Carson Palmer coming out?

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

pearson is, imo.

name a team steve mcnair beat his senior year; or daunte culpepper. the lack of competition would bother me if carr put up so-so numbers against them, but he didn't; his numbers were spectacular.

i wouldn't mind that, either, but you can't draft with your eye on next year; you have to take the best player available in 2002.

carr has a 3/4's delivery, almost a sidearm; there's a fear it'll be batted down on the next level. harrington has a bit of a hitch in his motion, too, fwiw. likely (hopefully), it's correctable.

11. Manny Ramirez

No offense, Ric, but did you really watch any college football this past season? You seem very knowledgeable about the NFL, but feeling that there are other tackles as good as McKinnie is insane.

Granted I will be a little biased towards McKinnie considering that I have followed U of M football for close to 20 years. However, the only other offensive lineman prospect that Miami has had that was a blue-chipper was Leon Searcy. He has several Pro Bowl visits on his resume. Well, let me tell you something...McKinnie is 3 times the tackle Searcy was.

Let me ask you this: has Pearson or any of these other tackles that you think are as good as McKinnie ever given up a sack in their whole f*cking football career ? I didn't think so.

McKinnie is the best tackle in this draft and one of the best in the last several years...he's up there with Pace and Ogden. To believe something else is downright foolish. Period.

12. haven

haven Member

I was never a big fan of the Steve McNair pick (and I think he's overrated now)... but as for Daunte Culpepper... I believe some scouts said that he had better physical tools than any other QB they'd ever seen. With Culpepper, everyone knew from the outset that he was being taken for potential, rather than past production.

I disagree. Do that, and you're likely to do things out of desparation. Sometimes a particular position is very deep... other times it's very shallow. I don't happen to believe that there is a single "franchise" QB available in this draft. So rather than take a flyer on someone who's not quite what we're looking for, I'd rather the Texans wait a year. It's not like Jeff Blake wouldn't be completely capable of manning the helm for a few years.

Maybe the Texans will suck like most expansion teams... and they'll be able to draft Eli Manning, if his next year osas good as this past one and he comes out. Maybe they won't. But maybe Chris Simms will finally live up to his billing, and they could take him. Or Leftwich.

The # of people who disagree with me is actually comforting as it looks like the Texans *will* draft David Carr. But when my team has the #1 pick, I want to feel really damned confident in that player. And I don't feel that way about Carr.

Thanks for your good responses.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm watching the Senior Bowl right now on ESPN. I missed the start so I didn't see Carr play, but ESPN just showed a poll conducted on espn.com - who should the Texans take # 1?

Carr is not # 1. Harrington is.

Oh please Texans draft Joey Harrington. I'll buy his jersey :D

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Carr is expected to play some more in the 2nd half. Stay tuned.

15. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Tony Bosseli was best offensive tackle in the NFL for 3 years leading up to this year when he got injured. If he's healthy, I'd rather have Bosseli-Carr or Bosseli-Harrington than McKinnie-Blake, McKinnie-Batch, McKinnie-Dilfer, or McKinnie-Ramsey.

I also remember a tackle who was supposed to be the greatest of all time, and a can't miss prospect but was drafted behind a quarterback with some question marks. Here's the full story:

From the Dallas Morning News

16. Major

Major Member

<B>Tony Bosseli was best offensive tackle in the NFL for 3 years leading up to this year when he got injured. If he's healthy, I'd rather have Bosseli-Carr or Bosseli-Harrington than McKinnie-Blake, McKinnie-Batch, McKinnie-Dilfer, or McKinnie-Ramsey. </B>

Sure, but your combo is a hell of a lot more expensive than the others. Taking a QB -- any QB -- is a huge financial risk as the #1 pick. There's probably more than a 50% chance they'll flame or not be nearly worth the money they are getting. Taking an OL is far lower-risk.

As for QB's in question, personally, I agree with Smokey... If we're going to take one, Harrington has impressed me more than Carr.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Did Carr ever impress? I didn't see him in the second half.

I do like Antwaan Randle El, though. What a great all-around player.

Did they ever report anything on the injured Nebraska cornerback?

18. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I hope not at QB. I didn't see the Senior Bowl, but he looked Reeeallly bad in the East-West game @ QB.

19. Manny Ramirez

Otto:

Wasn't Tony Mandarich interested in boxing. Didn't he also underestimate what it took to go from college to the next level.

I'm sorry but I don't see McKinnie behaving like Mandarich.

Yes, there have been plenty of busts in the NFL before that were highly regarded coming out of college, but I don't think that McKinnie will let happen to him what happened to Mandarich.

Forgot about Tony Boselli....he is a good one and in the same class as Ogden and Pace.

I would say though, that none of those guys except for McKinnie has ever given up a sack in their football career.

20. haven

haven Member

Hmm... you know who I'd want most? McKinnie, Bosselli, Blake. holy crap, that'd be a potent tackle/qb combo.