1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 13, 2017.

?

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

1. Yes- Its just preseason

155 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No- Upgrade needed by the deadline

63 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. SRR21

SRR21 Member

#1 Nene is injury prone, I don't trust Black with playoff minutes.
    #2 A 5 with 3 point range would open the floor even more for Harden and Paul. Plus add scoring for second unit.
    #3 This could be the Rockets year. Have to go all in for this year.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This is correct. This is the teams benefit and the luxury of restricted free agency.

We WILL sit back, relax and match whatever because that is what benefits us as a club. Matching is always the goal, unless we don't believe he is a max player and let him walk
    ;ala parsons.

But a matched max is more beneficial to us than a restructured max which is why rfa is our friend.

Yeah it's the new # per year but in terms of % of the overall cap it's the same pretty much.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Some people are never satisfied; and todays NBA loves to draw the center out to the perimeter and away from the basket defensively.

per basketball-reference.com (17/18)

Player——-——mins——FG%——blks——-stl———PER——DRtg——ORtg——blk%——DRB%—
    D Cousins—-—35.4——46.2%——1.6———-1.7———-23.4——100———102——-3.8%——31.7%—
    D Jordan———32.4——
    65.8%——1.8———-0.8———-18.7——105———126——-3.1%——32.1%—
    D Howard——--29.7——57.4%——2.0———-0.9———-17.8——102———-98——-3.5%——-31.7%—
    Drummond——33.0——-52.7%——1.2———1.4——-—21.4——--99———108——-3.2%——34.6%—
    Pau Gasol———25.0——-48.4%——1.4———0.3———-20.9——100——---116——4.5%——29.0%—
    Marc Gasol——34.7——-42.2%——1.7———0.5———-18.4——103———101——-4.5%——-26.9%—

Whiteside———27.8——-59.7%——1.8———0.9———-26.4——-96———-117——-5.1%——-39.1%

Capela————-25.6——-67.1%——-1.8———0.7———-26.0——-98———-128——-5.9%——-35.3%

Edited:updated 11/27/17 (day after original posting)

Whiteside———27.4——-58.7%——-1.6———0.9———-25.8——-96———-116——-4.8%——-38.8%

#543 ApacheWarrior, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Drogba, felixng2012, burlesk and 2 others like this.
  4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

if we got a 5 who played out on the 3 point line, we'd only want him playing when Ryan Anderson is not, correct? someone's got to get the boards, set the pick, and roll. its not that high priority from our 5. he needs to be great at D and rebounding...boxing out. the 3 is a luxury.

D-rock likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hard to say when it comes to GSW and their death squad. They shut down Clint pretty easily, and sometimes I wouldn't mind 5 out so Harden doesn't have to deal with shotblockers when the playoffs roll around.

Ideally you have a guy like Boogie that can finish everything around the rim, but can also step out and shoot it.

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

If we got boogie and played very gsw I can already see the **** the refs will let green get away with trying to agitate boogie.

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I could see Cuban doing the same thing with Capela that he did with Parsons. Try to steal away an RFA and if not force the Rockets to pay a "high price" to keep him.

The deep center pool supply, low demand and Capela's RFA status will really help depress the value. But it only takes 1 offer. We'll see.

Hakeemtheking and BigMaloe like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think Cuban is set for a total rebuild next summer. Dirk will be gone and he'll be finding a way to dump Mathews.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wouldn't be surprised if Dirk comes back next year, tbh.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. jcmoon

yea well, realistically we're not getting boogie. So even though they can shut down the harden/capela roll, or give big problems, we'd still need clint for his offensive rebounding. It would be easier to find a four who can post up, as a play maker, as plan B.

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Really? Name one.

13. jcmoon

lebron james.

What center can we get who can rebound, box -out, defend, screen, and roll, and also hit a 3? Basically an All-star. He would have to replace Nene and tarick black who are good at those things: screen, roll, rebound, defense, and running the floor. That is what makes our system work. THe five has to do those things well. They especially need to rebound our missed 3s, since our guards aren't good rebounding guards minus beverley.

We can look for young talent like a pre-injury DMO or a older contract buy-out like josh smith. I don't feel like looking through the whole NBA roladex right now. But i'm not saying it would be easy. But it would easier than finding a 5 who can do all those things. And no, i'm not saying this has to happen right now or even this season. At least with lebron we have chris paul as a recruiter and the fact that his cavs aren't dominating like they have before.

14. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

How is Clint still getting so much disrespect?

PER: 26
    BPM: 5

He is literally playing at an elite level right now.

D-rock likes this.
  15. jcmoon

they have forgotten the days of Omer Asik as an upgrade.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

So it's a pipe dream to get Cousins or Marc Gasol off of struggling teams in the West, but Lebron James is feasible? The same Lebron that is on the Cavs, that are on an 8 game win streak without Isaiah Thomas?

Okay.

17. jcmoon

yes, that's how much of a pipe dream they both are. you wanted a name right? He's at least feasible. Buy the way, you're saying morey, paul, and harden would even be willing to give CC up for either of those two. I don't think they would. We're talking about backing up CC, or playing beside him, not replacing him. No, i don't think either of those three would do it.

18. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

They've all become pipe dreams because NOLA isn't trading Boogie if they are making the playoffs. With all the bottom tier playoff teams in the West falling apart that all but cinches it for NOLA barring injuries. LBJ would have to be a CP3 summer deal. Gasol is going nowhere. The coach firing and Conley's return should tell you that much. PG13 could become available but Presti will never trade with us again.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I don't know how to do picture on here but from the teams practice pics posted on twitter....... this is the 2nd time Clint has looked like the tallest on the court sans Zhou.....

He's clearly taller than Ryan and both are listed at 6'10"....

So I ask again...... Did Clint grow a few inches??????

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I can’t speak for Gasol going anywhere; team trading for Gasol would have to gut their team to get him.
    Memphis is not giving him up without a Kings ransom. A Miami team or Clippers might do that, but not Houston.

Now I can say, I don’t see Cousins going anywhere. Free agent to be this summer will get whatever
    he wants from Pels. The combo of Uni-brow and Cousins is finally paying out. Two bigs that can
    work inside near the rim and pop out to shoot 3’s. Every team wants one center who can do that; they
    have two. It’s just a matter of surrounding them with shooters, like Houston finally did with Harden.

LeBron wife made it clear she wants to live in L.A. predominantly by 2018. Possible google
    can bring up the rumor pages. Sometimes there is truth behind the rumors. Wives usually
    get what they want. And she wants out of Cleveland.