1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 13, 2017.

?

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

1. Yes- Its just preseason

155 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No- Upgrade needed by the deadline

63 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Is Morey worried yet? Can he still extend CC for cheap(relatively) so there's room for another star?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's my favorite Quote of the Year so far, after the Indiana B2B travel game, played in less than 24 hours:

"I surprised myself," Capela said. "My body felt great. My body is getting better and stronger every single year. I feel my body doesn't have limits. Even when today I felt like, 'Oh, today is going to be hard,' I start playing hard and I'm like 'Wow, I feel great.'  "

Capela surprised himself with his energy level. That's a big deal, imo, because we'd love to see him reach 32+ mpg this year. With Paul back, I fully expect MDA to play Capela as many minutes as he can handle. That is to say, now he'll have an elite PnR PG on the court with him at all times.

Aside from his better FT shooting and better stamina, I suspect his 26mpg this year is being held down because MDA feels like his efficiency is best with Harden on the court, and so our Small Ball lineup when Harden rests has higher production without Capela. That all changes with Chris Paul.

3. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Capela has a small cap hold. He can be re-signed for whatever after Morey has obtained another star.

BigMaloe and Why not? like this.
  5. RockWest

Tax though...

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

What do u consider relatively cheap for Capela? I expected Capela to get anywhere from 15-18 mil/yr next summer before the season started, but he’s playing better than I thought he would.

I also do not think that CP3 will be re-signed here on a max contract like most other people do.

Tilman will have to pay up for this team.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. basketballholic

Actually no.

I'm will definitely certify him legit if we make it to the Finals and he's the defensive anchor for us.

But I'm also willing to say he's legit without us making the Finals. I simply have to see that he is the defensive anchor in the middle and when under heat he stays tough and difficult for opponent offenses to beat efficiently. If I see that I will say he's legit regardless of if we make the Finals or not.

The most important skill of a center in today's game is defense or offensive facilitating. He has to be very good in at least one of these two skills to win a championship.

The second most important skill is rebounding. The third most important skill is shooting. The fourth most important skill is finishing.

Capela is flourishing at skills 2 and 4. He's improved at skill 1 (defense). I want to see him man the middle in a war before I'm ready to say he's legit. And it's obvious he hasn't developed as a shooter or facilitator.

8. RockWest

With the way he's been playing probably 18-20M if enjoys playing here and doesn't test free agency. I don't actually know what is the max for him next year.

9. seeingred

seeingred Member

His ball handling skills are dramatically improved. During garbage time at the end of the Pacers game, they were running the offense through him! Never thought I'd see the day. Just a few months ago his ceiling was "poor man's DeAndre Jordan". Now? Who the hell knows? As the announcer (Not Bullard) said the other night - Right now he is our other "Big 3" and playing at an All Star level.

D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Based on current projections, his max is starting at 25.5m per.

Based on his play, thus far, he deserves it. His max would still be rather relative and more cost effective than say a Deandre at the same price heading for another increase.

Coming into the year I was of the same belief. He would garner 15-18 and hope to get him for 12-16.

But now? I would consider 18-22 per a huge win for us.

Being he is restricted, the relatively deep center pool in free agency, not a lot of teams with max space and need at the 5 and the fact a lot of teams have young centers around the league already; I am of hope that we can get some value or at least have it stalled until later in the off season after we make whatever move we may or not make.

My fear is Dallas tbh.

But if we get him for 4/90 with the first year starting at 20m and raises going forward I would be ecstatic.

#530 BigMaloe, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

he could get 4/108 from another team

RockWest likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

18-22 mil/yr would be great for us, I agree...mainly because I think he would outperform that contract

18 ppg, 12-13 rpg, and 2.5 bpg is certainly possible for Capela in the next few years

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This x 10.

A owner like Cuban would try to steal Capela from us, and based on his play and the exorbitant amount of money being dished out, $25 M/per sounds like a realistic number.

14. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Capela currently as we approach 1/4 through the season is sitting at 1st in field goal percentage, 6th in rebounding, 4th in blocks. Also assist and free throw percentage, are up from last year as well. All-star? I think so..

D-rock likes this.
  15. valorita

valorita Member

Capela is playing great.
    Which also makes him a prime trade high candidate.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If we're willing to pay Capela the max, we want him to sign an offer sheet elsewhere, right? Since other teams can only offer him a contract with 5% annual raises?

I seem to recall Memphis fans feeling like we did them a favor by signing Gasol to a max offer sheet back in 2011.

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

If we sign Capela to max we might as well just say goodbye to signing anyone new without getting rid of something. Obviously everyone wants to be rid of the Anderson contract which isn't going to happen. Harden just keeps getting more and more expensive, CP3 is going to ask for crazy numbers. I think we are screwed and will be deep into luxury taxes.

If only we could do a contract swap. i think swapping Capela and Anderson's contract would be a really fair thing to do.

18. SRR21

SRR21 Member

I am more concerned with back up center minutes.
    I would like to see a move or 1 of these guys below.
    . Dewayne Dedmon ATL 6mil 48 3pt% small sample size 14/29
    M. Speights ORL 1.5 Mil shooting 41.6 3pt%
    C. Frye CLE 7.5 Mil 37.5 3pt%

With the second unit a center or forward at the 5 who can space the floor and hit the 3 would be dangerous.

19. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

So are guys now getting 25/yr comin off the rookie contracts now? That's a big jump from The 17/yr just a few years ago.....smh...wow

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The back up center seems to be fine man. Nene is producing really well and Black has played pretty good when he plays minutes outside of garbage time. I'm not understanding the concern.