1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Chris Paul a potential free agent target?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mario_v, May 1, 2013.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

You know who else is a free agent other than Howard? Chris Paul. What are the chances Chris Paul and Dwight Howard sign with Houston? We could then trade Lin and to the Clippers. Los Angeles = Asians = Money. Asik can easily be traded.

We all know, Paul wanted to team up with Dwight but he could never make up his mind.

Imagine a lineup consisting of Paul, Harden, Parsons, D-mo, Howard. One word. DOMINANT. Game over for the NBA.

If Chris Paul can't beat Memphis, then he has to think to himself what he must do to win a championship. The answer is Houston.

I see a superteam in the making. What about you?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Of course. Any superstar is a target.

Paul would be great, but I think we target him after Howard.

3. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Him and Harden should not be on the same team with each other. Paul runs almost every play for the Clippers.

4. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

No, I doubt Morey is targeting Paul....of course he's a target. Morey is known to pretty much target every superstar. I don't see Paul leaving though, Howard has a better chance of leaving LA than Paul.

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Noesssssssssssss!

6. pnr

pnr Member

I doubt he's leaving the bright lights of LA. Plus Clips are a very good team.

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Beauty of Harden is that he is amazing without the ball in his hand too.

Don't see why this should be a problem.

8. AFS

AFS Member

If Paul and Jamal Crawford can play together, then I'm sure Paul and Harden could work. Paul and Harden are both pretty good at playing off the ball as well as on it.

9. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think Paul will seriously consider leaving Clippers if they can't beat Memphis. I believe he may be having secret conversations with Howard and Harden ala Miami's big 3.

10. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Harden wouldn't have to run every play for the Rockets if Paul were here.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Any and all superstars are a target. Even Bynum was a freaking target...

12. Mr. Clutch

I bet he still is.

So is Kevin Love.

Maybe even Milssap and Josh Smith.

Brace yourselves, Morey's casting a wide net!

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

A question that would get a better answer I guess is, is there a superstar that is NOT our free agent target?

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That's the problem, though; they're stuck in that good but not great tier, and that can be a tough one to break out of. There won't be any impact free agent signings because Paul, Griffin and Jordan would all be on big contracts. There won't be any good draft picks because they're a consistent playoff team. They have a shaky coach and notoriously poor owner.

Unless they get absurdly lucky and find a Gasol-to-Lakers type deal, there's no reasonable path to get them much better than they are now. If "now" means a crushing sweep against the West's elite a year ago (Spurs) and four consecutive losses to the Grizzlies in the first round this year... that's not nearly good enough.

I still think Paul stays, in part because unlike Dwight, he seems to really be into the LA scene and the endorsements that come with it. He seems to have embraced the challenge of making it "his town". But the fact that the Clippers are "good" is actually the one thing that may give the Rockets a shot this summer: Houston has a reasonable shot at being great, and LA doesn't.

15. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Harden did say he would talk during the All Star Break to stars about joining him. It only makes sense if he talked to Paul and Howard, as they are free agents this year.

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

If the 3 aren't secretly discussing already they really need to start, especially since it's looking like all 3 will be knocked out the first round.

17. Mr. Clutch

Kobe BRyant

18. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Paul and Jamal are also losing badly to the Memphis Grizzlies. It wasn't even a contest yesterday although they played very well.

19. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

20. NerdJames

NerdJames Member

really cuz last time i checked whenever harden doesn't have the ball he just stands there and does nothing..