1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Caron Butler a possibility?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sanjaylucknow, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Sanjaylucknow

Sanjaylucknow Contributing Member

One thing is common between Houston and Washington. Both have under acheived and need to retool. Houston needs youth size and athletism in the back court and Washington needs a franchise player or two to build around. Caron Butler is a decent player but not a building block Antonio Daniels has been a complete misfit. Here is what I propose: Rockets send the expiring contract of Moochie+Head+NY second rounder to say Atlanta or Bobcats for 6 million trade exception and package it with Wesley and our #1 pick to Washington for Butler and Daniels.
    Houston upgrades both the gurds position and Washington gets a potential high Ist rounder and trade exception. The Broker team gets Luther Head + NY second rounder for nothing. I appreciate what Head has done as a rookie but you can teach height and our back court really needs some.
    Yao/Mutombo/
    Howard/Swift/Hayes
    TMac/Anderson
    Caron Butler/Jon Barry
    Alston/Antonio Daniels

Much better than the current Roster without breaking the bank. Thoughts........

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

so you want to give up the potential pick that we will have for this horrible season. for caron butler and a backup point guard.

hmmm im not sure about that. :confused:

3. Sanjaylucknow

Butlers and Daniels are what we lack in the back court and you have to keep the chemistry issue in mind. These guys do not carry any baggage and would be ideal complementary players who would play well within the system.

4. sourav004

sourav004 Member

I cant believe u put swift ahead of Hayes. It should go howard/hayes/baxter/ballboy/chair/towel/swift.
    Trade Swift, not head.
    -Lal Salam

5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Washington got our pick and the TE in your deal. They already are looking at a lotto pick. Maybe they want to keep Butler and just do an expiring for Daniels.

I personally want to keep our lotto pick for ourselves.

I like your thinking of trading our expirings for a TE, though. That's creative - better than just letting them go for nothing, if we have no other trade partners.
    Problem is, of course, you have to pay the TE trade partner to take them, so we have to give up Head for a TE that we may or may not use.

I'd prefer trading Head and Swift to Atlanta for Harrington. They'll need to trade him at the deadline. They get a nice young player and a power forward - those are things they need.

Then I'd try and trade expirings for AD and say, a 2007 pick. I think he'd be a great fit with Tmac, like he was with Jesus. He's just not a fit with Arenas (and who really is). I know his contract is too much and too long so I asked for the future pick, which, I think, will still be nice next year. Hard to make a winner out of Arenas and Jamison vs. real teams. Let them try, though ;).

6. surrender

surrender Member

I'd love to have Butler on the Rockets, since he brings much-needed size and athleticism to the backcourt. I don't know if we have enough to pry him away from Washington, though

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with surrender, we don't seem to have enough for Caron. The only attraction for them seems to be a lottery pick but the Wizards will probably hold on to him.

8. tested911

tested911 Member

Wow if we we were able to aquire Butler I think we would serve the NBA a chapionship :)

9. R=$

R=$ Member

How about Stro / DA / 2nd Rounder for Butler / AD ?

10. LFE171

LFE171 Member

i always thought caron would fit well as the 3rd option we've longed for. he's not spectacular, but he can play d and he makes quick mid ranged jumpshots. iwouldnt mind going for him, but not at the risk of one of our picks.

11. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Well thought out trade, worthy of Pat Riley.

12. gsd99rhc

gsd99rhc Member

you're asking for two of their rotation players (butler being arguably their 2nd most valuable commodity) for crap/washed up/useless pick?

13. gsd99rhc

gsd99rhc Member

wizards won't be trading butler anytime soon. they just signed him to an extension at the beginning of the season and he is the future w/arenas. if anything, they're trying to get rid of jamison as he doesn't ever pass the ball (then again, neither does arenas).

in fact, daniels is the only servicable point guard left on the squad, since they released chucky atkins because he was whining. they can't trade him now because they like to play arenas at 2 guard w/daniels playing the point.

jeffries is also a prime candidate to be traded. he's basically just a defender out there--and not particularly effective in that role, since he's too weak to defend the 4 and too slow to defend the three (same as swift).

14. Sanjaylucknow

Wizards are not going any where with this team and have to shake the things up.Yes then would love to dump Jamison and his fat contract but there are not many Isiah Thomas as GM in the NBA. In my proposed deal they will get a potentially high draft pick which could make up for the loss of Butler. Trade exception would allow them to add another piece or two. Moreover they can trade the expiring contract received from us for a servicible player. Add on to there potentially high draft pick and MLE and they can really retool and become a decent team in the east.

15. gsd99rhc

gsd99rhc Member

well, you're correct about the wizards not going anywhere. i can see them trading daniels or jeffries to the rockets for a draft pick or even a crappy players with an expiring contract, but not butler. regarding the rocket's pick, i think it's only valuable if it's clear that the pick will be high lottery by the trade deadline. for better or worse, i don't see the rockets picking high lottery this year--if anything, mid first round.

butler is really their only remaining legacy from the kwame trade. if they unload him for crap, they basically have nothing left to show for a no.1 overall pick. given the dc fan's anger with the franchise (unloading webber, rasheed wallace, ben wallace, rip hamilton, etc.), it's doubtful they'll be making that decision.

16. Sanjaylucknow

I agree that it will be hard for them to give Butler, but looking from the cap flexibility point it will be tempting. They will get roughly 11 million cap space(TE+expiring contract)+ a potential top ten pick. For them is Butler worth it? As far as the fans are concerned they want a winning team and for that some tough decisions will have to be made.

17. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Butler is not that good. Why are we even discussing him?

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He'd be great for our fast break game. He's not that great but we just need good role players at this point. He's better than Wesley.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly. Caron has a "poison pill" contract.

He's one of the Wizards' few bright spots. We won't be seeing him in a Rockets uni (well, stranger things have happened).

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont think there is any way we can get Caron Butler with what we would be offering. But he absolutely fills the bill as the below level star player "3rd scorer" this team needs to acquire to take it to the next level.