1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Brandon Brooks any good?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by basketballholic, May 8, 2014.

1. basketballholic

Would like to read from actual football people on this one. Can you give a scouting report on him? What is his potential?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The scouts can chime in with more detail, but I'm pretty sure he was doing really well by the end of last season.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think Lance has said something like he'll be among the best run blocking Gs in football.

4. conquistador#11

he is. the problem is the other guy on his right.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think it was Football Outsiders that had him graded as one of the best Guards (top 10) in the league last year or at least towards the end of it.

6. basketballholic

So, then really the OL problems are limited to right tackle. Is that the way you guys see it? Left side ok? Center ok?

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes. Newton was terrible.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Starting LG Wade Smith is no longer with the team (and was underwhelming last season).

OBie might need/want different OL than did Kubiak.

9. basketballholic

So we really need a LG and a RT. But the LG should be easily replacable by a 4th rounder or whatever.

10. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

We have who Ben Jones and a couple of other bodies for LG competition really need a RT

11. Remii

Remii Member

Depends on what O'Brien wants. The line we have is built for Kubiak's zone blocking scheme which requires smaller more athletic offensive lineman (usually). Jay Gruden has been bringing in bigger offensive lineman up in Washington this off season because he doesn't run that type of scheme.

Have you heard what type of scheme he intends to run....?

I believe Brooks is a beast and will be good in any system though. No need to worry about him.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not after this draft...We will end up with Robinson, Matthews, or Lewan...among others. :cool:

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Brandon Brooks is the 2nd best blocker on the Texans.

14. Cannonball

Ben Jones has been kind of a disappointment. I don't think he's a real starting guard in the league. They tried to give him the RG job but he just wasn't strong enough. He's a Center, but with Myers here he's just a backup/rotational guy.

My bet would be Quessenberry being our LG this year. They tried both Q and Jones at LG when Smith was out in the preseason and Q definitely looked better. It was looking like he might have won the job outright last year had he not broken his foot.

I think we're going to add some power running elements, but we're not completely abandoning the ZBS.

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

He's pretty good, and has a definite chance to leap into the elite level this year, with current trajectory.

What happened to the line last year:

Duane Brown had an "off" year (just not as dominant):
    LG, whoever it was, was poor the whole season.
    Chris Myers was good.
    Brandon Brooks had a trajectory: he started off "meh" but really turned it on at the end of the year.
    RT was arguably the worst in the league.

2013 Texans O-Line ladies and gentleman.

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Lance said he had some technique issues which need to be cleaned up, but hopefully he can continue to make strides this season.

Here's a clip from Week 2 of LZ breaking down some OL play (specifically Brooks):
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bmYSunaBWQg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. basketballholic

No, I haven't. I just assumed something similar to the Pats. I'm not anywhere close to being as knowledgeable about football as basketball. I do know and understand the zone blocking scheme. But Brooks is anything but a small, quick guy. He's huge.

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

19. Cannonball

Earlier, when I said I thought Football Outsiders has him graded as a top 10 guard, it was PFF.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/19/secret-superstars-week-15-2/

From Week 15.

And note, that that's #10 amongst all guards, not just RG. #10 out of 64 starting spots in the league.

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

This might just be me, but when it comes to basketball, I trust my own analysis. For football, I am heavily dependent on PFF: there is just too much happening on each play.