1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is AT&T dsl internet good for online gaming?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by lue03, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Stand alone att elite dsl for $35 per month, real good experience for the past 4 years. Comcast broadband was down once every month for 2 days. Fiber optic set up would be best (u-verse) than hughes satellite.

2. Poloshirtbandit

I've been using AT&T DSL for the past 8 years and for the most part service has been great. I've been on the 6 Mbps plan for several years. Been thinking of lowering it to 3 because I really don't do a whole lot of downloading anymore and I think wireless only goes to 3 Mpbs anyway.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've been using uVerse since this past summer and have been pleased with the Internet connectivity so far. I've got the 18 mbps down/1.5 mbps up service for $35 or $40/month (can't remember which). I don't really play online games much, but I do have a friend who has the same service and he's said in the past he's had problems with it.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

It depends how you classify the "suburbs." I live in KATY and have awesome speeds for U-verse. :eek: I do not play online games much.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes...u can get internet only.....that's why i have.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I live in Missouri City...and have Uverse.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Uverse is 12mbps for $45....18meg for $55....24mbps for $65. The difference is Comcast is that SHARED bandwidth in the neighborhood. You are not getting near 20 mbps in peak. Uverse is basically Fiber to the HUB DSL (copper to the home, although newer neighborhoods may have Fiber to the home). You are not sharing bandwidth with others, only with yourself if you have UVERSE TV. Even still, it will have consistent speed when compared to cable. Plus, you don't have to sign a year contract. Cancel anytime. I just use Uverse Internet and have Directv for TV. Comcast have bandwidth caps for you large downloaders........ATT does not.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

BTW...Uverse TV is still limited when it comes to HD. You can only have 2 HD streams at once. I have 3 HDTVs with each have a HDDVR with dual tuners. That is 6 HD streams, plus 5 STD streams (2 standard DVRs, one regular receiver) for a total of 11......So I stick with DirecTV because of that.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

While I don't doubt this situation... I am asking myself... why would you EVER be watching 3 HD streams all at once? Do you really need to have all 3 HDTVs on? I mean, the more I think of it, the more I realize we're using too much technology...

But then I remembered you also posted:
    So you have BOTH?!?!? :eek:
    EDIT: Never mind, I see the difference now above. Internet vs. TV, so you stick with DiwreckedTV for TV only. Good stuff, but I don't think that's a good idea... too many "different services."

Anyway, I was just wondering. I am sure that within this year or the next, U-verse will add a few more streams. We've had 2 HD streams and 4 standard streams for a while... they will add more HD ones soon, I hope.

10. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Uverse still not in my area: (

11. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

which internet package did you get?

I'm using a Linksys wireless router now. I've heard their tv box has a cat5 port, is this true?

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Each HDTV has 2 HD streams (dual tuners on the DVRs) so you can record either record 2 shows at once, watch one and record another. Plus you have dual live buffers to switch between to shows live. Directv is unmatched in the amount of HD steams you can have. I basically have a multiswitch that has the capability of 12 TV streams of any type. So that 6 DVRs (of any type) with dual tuners. I have a HDTV in the masterbed room, my home office, and in the teenager's room. I will eventually put on in the living room. 2 younger children have standard TVs in their rooms (one has a DVR).