1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone else jaded of Houston sports teams?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bbllr3431, Nov 22, 2010.

1. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

It seems every year not just the Rockets but Houston sports teams in general come out of the offseason with grand expectations.... Every year it seems those expectations are never met and we always fall short. From the 80's when the Rockets were stacked with Sampson and Hakeem to the Astros team that made it to the world series and fell apart, to the ref screwed oilers, to the Texans, and back to the Rockets. Houston sports is littered with underachieving teams and a fanbase that to me seems more and more jaded by the years. I started this thread mainly to vent about my frustration with our city's teams but I'm curious as to why this seems to be a common theme year in and year out. Any Ideas?

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Hey, at least were not Cleveland...

3. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

i agree man ...u come into the seasons full of high expectations and come out with nothing but broken promises :(

4. ThaShark316_28

What city doesn't have heart break?

Even NY.

Think they came into the season thinking "we'll win 94 games and lose to the Rangers in the alcs"?

Boston fans, I'm sure, couldn't think for a week after dropping Game 7 to the Lake show.

Unless you win it all, it's all heart break.

1 person likes this.
  5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Except for a couple of solid Astros runs, bad decade for Houston sports. hopefully coming one will be better

6. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

the Rockets should never be compared to Texans & Astros.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Why not?? It's been 15 years since the Rockets were a relevant force on the NBA landscape.

8. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Been living in Houston for 36 years now, I've gotten accustomed to being the underdog. I prefer the underdog role, but this year I had really high expectations. It's really hit me hard falling flat and the Rockets coming out of the gates the way they have. Overall I'm proud of our teams and will continue to support them threw even more hard times.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

As far as I'm concerned the Astros don't exist and the Texans are a sorry coached franchise so they don't matter.

Unfortunately, the only local team that has an actual championship history and pedigree (MLS/other leagues dont' count), has the sorriest team I've seen in years so far. Maybe the worst in decades for the Rockets.

That makes me a sad panda.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Man I don't know what the problem is. I don't think it's a curse, just enormous bad luck with injuries for the Rockets (although hundreds of man-games lost each year borders on being more than a coincidence.)

When it comes down to it, only about 25-30% of NBA teams have won a championship since Stern was a youngen commissioner. It's just a hard thing to do if you're not Los Angeles.

Our team sucking this year is just a matter of little effort and wasted potential. We'll see what happens.

11. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

yea...houston sports need to be revived..were at an all time low this year..especially the way things are going.

12. Voice of Reason

Houston has some of the best sports fans in the country. The Rockets, Texans, and Astros consistently rank as top revenue generators in their respective sports. All these teams are ranked at the top in Team value. Owners are fans too, but they are businessmen first. As long as the money keeps rolling in the owners will be complacent. Nothing will drastically change until the gate receipts and TV viewers start to subside.

Our reward for being great fans is mediocrity.

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Right now, its a very dark time in Houston sports but NORMALLY at least one of the teams have been REALLY good. In the early mid-90s the Oilers and Rox where titles contenders and the Stros where rebuilding nicely. Mid to late 90's the Oilers left but the Stros where in the playoffs regularly and Rox where still right there. Early to mid 2000s the Stros where in playoff contention most of the time while the Rox where rebuilding. Mid 2000s the Stros where a title contending team while the Rox where a very interesting playoff team and the Texans where barely kids. Late 2000s, the Rox where VERY competitive and Texans have been mediocre at least as the Stros rebuild.

14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

You have to remember these leagues are businesses. Houston is the 4th largest city with 2 million people. There will always be ticket revenue. Teams like New Orleans, Denver, and Oklahoma City have be one of the top 10 teams to draw interest.

The Knicks will always sell tickets.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

A lot of that has to do with new ballparks. The Rockets/Astros/Oilers weren't exactly rolling in cash back in the twilight of the Summit/Astrodome days. Also, in the case of the Rockets, partial credit to Yao.

16. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

Not if youre from Arizona...

17. van chief

van chief Member

the title of this thread should read Jaded by, not Jaded of.

18. Gertso

Gertso Member

Even the Dynamo suck now. :grin: At least the Astros are turning into a fun young team to watch.

19. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

This is what I was thinking as well. It seems that each owner in Houston places Revenue as the be all end all. The only reason we have stuck to Yao for so long is because of all the China money he brings in for Les. If alexander signs him again we will see what his priorities are. Mcnair repeatedly defends Kubiak when the entire world knows how horrendous he has been this and last year. If you want proof go look up his interview yesterday where he gave the Texans a pass and said "we can't ask more from our team or coaches, they gave all their effort". Screw that hold people accountable. Mcnair is cool with mediocrity cause I'm assuming the cash keeps flowing. And Mcclain... lol I don't even want to get started with him. In the end I think your last statement is the truth. OUR REWARD FOR BEING GREAT FANS IS MEDIOCRITY. I wish i knew how to rep lol

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

We either need to trade or draft a superstar. I can't imagine how pumped and happy I would be if we could get a player like Blake Griffin or John Wall.
    Guys who can come in and make an immediate impact on the city, geez, what a fresh breeze!