1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Introducing the All-Overpaid Team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by leebigez, Jul 8, 2003.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If this could be a sticky thread, it should be. The NBA free agent period started July 1st and will keep going until the season starts. With some of the rumors floating around, who do you nominate that 2 or 3yrs from will be on that list. For all intensive purposes and some recent articles, I have a early nomination. Kenny Thomas. If the stories are true and philly is going to offer him 50m, go ahead and put him on this list and also nominate billy king as worse gm in the league. I'm not going to say Thomas isn't a nice player, but if he gets more than Malik Rose, who is the same player, if not better,more than Corliss, who is the same if not better, then he deserves to have this tag on him. If Arenas or Kandi gets more than 7m a season, put them on there also. Feel free to add names.

2. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa! FIFTY MILLION for Kenny Thomas?! Geez!

Kandi will definitely be on that list. Dude has no passion, won't take instruction, and has a bad attitude to boot. Give him tens of millions, and he'll get even worse.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Personally, I blame Jon Koncack.

4. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

C: Mutombo
    PF: Baker
    SF: Van Horn
    SG: Allen Houston
    PG: Stoudemire

5. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

In his defense, at least he is a good player.

6. SLA

SLA Member

C: Kelvin Cato...based on what he is making and what he should be making.
    PF: Maurice Taylor, Vin Baker, Keith Van Horn, Kenny Thomas, and many more I can't think of right now.
    SF: Scottie Pippen...maybe James Posey...GLEN RICE!!! Latrell Sprewell. Glenn Robinson.
    SG: Allan Houston.
    PG: MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH!

Least Overpaid Player: Cuttino Mobley!

7. SLA

SLA Member

8. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Dream's gotta be up there. 20 mill to not retire.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Arenas had a monster year last year. That was also his 2nd year in the league. He could definitely prove to be worthy of 7 million per year.

10. leebigez

That is true, but i don't know about 8m a yr for Arenas, but he did have a real good yr. I'm not him, but if i were, I wouldn't sign for more than 3 yrs with whoever. The new cba is coming and there is no telling how much it will go up . I like the deal Duncan signed that way you don't get locked into a team going no where. I think those 4 yr deals are good for both sides also.

11. ron

ron Member

I've heard that Austin Croshere is extremely overpaid. I can't remember the amount, but it was way too much compared to his numbers ( 5.1 ppg, 3.2 rpg and 1.1 apg in 13 minutes per game last year). I remember he played really well when Indiana met Lakers in the finals, but after that he hasn't done much.

PS: Is there a site on the internet where you can see what the different player are earning?

12. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Tom Gugliotta

13. yaonotyo

yaonotyo Member

penny hardaway

14. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

He was one of those folks who parlayed a great playoffs into a big payoff. I think since Larry Bird has left, he is not one of Isiah Thomas's favorites. Speedy Claxton might be another one of those, who might parlay his performance in the Finals to a big payday. It's kind of like the draft, in which you pay them for their potential shown in the playoffs, which of course they never end up recapturing lightning in a bottle. For my all-time overpaid team, here goes:

C- Jon Koncak
    honorable mention- Greg Ostertag, Calvin Booth (another one of those who got a playoffs payday)
    PF- Vin Baker
    honorable mention- Shawn Kemp, Larry Johnson, Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    SF- Glenn Robinson
    honorable mention-Glen Rice
    SG- Allan Houston
    PG- Charlie Ward

15. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Shut up you biased fool.

16. mfclark

mfclark Member

Replying to NYKRule's post above...

Cato makes slightly more than Dampier, and until last season's injuries, Mutombo remained effective. You want overpaid at center? Bryant Reeves, still being paid by Memphis through the end of last year.

Kemp gave back most of his money to Portland, accepting a small buyout, and played for the minimum last year in Orlando. That's not overpaid. Thomas is reportedly to be on the verge of signing a 6/7-yr deal worth $50m, which is grossly overpaid for a roleplayer - look at what Toronto did with JYD for a similar example. Vin Baker is the poster child at that position.

You apply subjective reasoning in your contract situation, looking at Kemp (who was no longer under contract) at PF yet refusing to consider Pippen (whose contract just ended) at SF. Rice and Robinson are overpaid, yes. Posey is not...no one even knows how much he'll make. And for their billing and production, Sprewell and Robinson are overpaid. Superstars should get max deals, and neither player is a superstar.

Houston is the definition of an overpaid star and should not be making the max. By no definition is he a superstar. Chalk that up to stupidity on Layden's part. Hardaway's no star either, but at least at one point near the time he received the deal he was a superstar and one of the premier swingmen in the game. Sura only made $5.5m last year and until he started last year injured, was actually a pretty decent player for GS.

And at the point...no real argument there, except that Moochie is overpaid for a backup point guard. But the most overpaid? No.

I do think you are slightly biased when it comes to the Knick players - especially Spree and Houston - so I don't think you have any place to tell someone to shut up due to bias.

17. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Kemp is still on the payroll of Portland for 8 digits. Go check. I'm basing it on the numbers of official payroll digits.

You also say that only superstars should get max deals--but that is not the truth. The price of players has rose substantially to the point where Latrell Sprewell is slightly overpaid, especially because he signed his deal before the CBA. If he's overpaid so is Eddie Jones, Brian Grant, etc. There are about thirty overpaid players according to that logic. I see "overpaid" as being a bad player yet making large amounts of money, or players that make 6+ for 3+ years sitting at the end of the bench (Mo Taylor, Moochie Norris, Kelvin Cato aren't close to that). Big Dog, Houston, and Sprewell are far from being reasonably paid, but they are still incredibly useful to a lot of teams out there. I don't think of that as overpaid. NY isn't a bunch of scrubs that are overpaid, its a bunch of players that have gotten worse that are overpaid, but nowhere to the level of "Most Overpaid". Most overpaid team, perhaps, but it's the collection that hurts, they don't have a Vin Baker type guy.

BTW--I watched probably 25 of Dikembe's Nets games before he was injured, and he is through. Before the injury he played like ****, and he played even ****tier afterwards.

Even if you call me biased after my explanation--it's not close to the level of SLA. He has a Rockets answer for each position, they are either incredibly overpaid or the least overpaid.

18. rkt

rkt New Member

C:Mutombo
    F:Vaker
    F:Rice
    G:Speerwell
    G:p. Hardway

Bench
    Illgauskas
    Van Horn
    G. Hill
    Rose
    B. Grant
    A. Davis
    McDyess

19. leebigez

I was actually talking about the new class of free agents. Who do you think after he get his contract, people will look back and put him on this list.

20. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Almost every team has one. Some have two or more. Go to patricia's site and check payroll by team. There's always some chump drawing monster cash. I'll go later and make a list. At least some of those pre-cap crazy deals are going away.

I guess the ideal system would be

1 star - 12 mil
    1 vg player - 9 mil
    1 vg player - 7 mil
    2 good players - 5 mil ea
    2 ok player - 1.5 ea
    8-12 spots - min. contracts 250,000 - 650,000

you have 41 mil in spots 1-8. You can fill the other 4 spots with 250000 guys for a cap at 42 mil. Now think about that. Actually, that's pretty hard to do. You've got to get some discounts somewhere.