1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interview Suits - Appropriate Blue?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cranberry_Juice, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Cranberry_Juice

Looking to start interviewing for new jobs and I was wondering if navy blue is the only acceptable blue for interviews? Any advice would be great.

p.s. studies have shown that people who wear a blue to an interview are more likely to get hired.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

This is dapper for an interview

[​IMG]

3. Cranberry_Juice

lol. I was thinking a tad darker.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

If you want to make a statement that you're a good businessman, opt for a purple suit. Accessorize it with a fur scarf which is good for any weather and says you're bold. Using a cane gives the illusion that you're not a field laborer, rather you get by with your intellect. Top yourself off with a feather hat to show you're a renaissance man.

1 person likes this.
  5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The only blue worth considering

[​IMG]

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:mad: If they don't like you for your skills, experience, and knowledge, but for your choice of suit color... I am not sure you want to work for a company or place like that.

In all seriousness, IS THIS A SERIOUS QUESTION? Please tell me you're not seriously asking about what color you should or shouldn't wear for an interview... as you should already know that. :eek:

7. Cranberry_Juice

Basically I bought a blue suit awhile back and don't feel like spending more $$$ for a navy blue suit if i don't have to.

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Those studies are outdated!

This is more appropriate if you want to make an impression....:eek:

[​IMG]

I believe the cape is on sale at the moment, so you got that going for you!...;)

9. Cranberry_Juice

Does it come in blue?

10. the shark

the shark Member

Remember you have ONE chance to make a good first impression. That means a conservative suit & tie. I would wear a white shirt as well (no pink or yellow). Make sure your shoes are shined as well.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Blue is not appropriate.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

if it seems like to much... its probably to much

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That is fine. You had me picturing a royal blue suit but this is a color that I own and I'm very conservative when it comes to color of suits. Like the shark said, stay conservative with the shirt and tie.

14. flipmode

flipmode Member

that's a pretty universal "navy" type suit. roll with it.
    only advice - if it's not already done, get it tailored professionally. no break on the pants unless you're tall... if so, a tiny break wouldn't hurt.

btw what industry? if you're in banking or law, you may need black. otherwise, navy or dark gray are staples.

15. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Wear black. Interviews are not the time to show off your fashion or creativity.

16. flipmode

flipmode Member

black is for funerals, galas, and high school prom.

17. Cranberry_Juice

I'm in finance but in terms of industry, I am looking to get out of oil industry. I am tired of the ups and downs.

18. flipmode

flipmode Member

that suit will work... but eventually, you should have a navy blazer with brass or gold buttons, as well as a charcoal/medium gray sportcoat.

if you're slimmer build, get slimmer lapels and a slimmer tie. for an interview, wear a white or light blue shirt. if you have a younger face, you can also do slim stuff.
    if you're heavier, stick with standard width ties and lapels.
    avoid pleated pants unless you need the extra hip/butt room.
    avoid cuffed pants completely. good luck!

1 person likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The blue in that link should be fine. As long as you're comfortable wearing to inside the particular building you're walking in to.

The industry doesn't matter as much as the culture of the particular company. If everyone is 45+ and the job is in Sealy, TX you probably want to opt for something more conservative. If you're interviewing for a finance job at a place like Zappos you could probably wear a plaid blazer and loafers.