1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[interview]Sam Cassell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 5, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K8Tw06QS_RE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clutch City 4 Ever

2. BleedsRocketRed

Ill never forget the NBA Finals games 4 in 1994 and game 2 in 1995 Sam. Our savior those games

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

That's what this team needs "Riders". Those stupid NBA commercials with the words Hero ball... unselfish team ball is how we won. Watch the interview Les because you've completely forgotten what it takes to win a championship. Oh wait Les never built a championship team he just inherited it like a lucky trust fund baby.

1 person likes this.
  4. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Too bad alien's clutchness can't be cloned.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rInVDlgu6L0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Sam is one of my all-time favorites and he's dead right about how special those teams were. Was do hard watching Sam give his best years to the Nets; I wanted him back so bad; damn those Maloney years.

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I guess it depends on how you define "unselfish team ball".

In the championship years the ball ran through Hakeem just as it does now through Harden. In fact, Hakeem took more shots and had a higher usage rate than Harden has the last two playoffs.

'94 playoffs - Olajuwon 22.3 FGA/game , 31.4% usage.
    '95 playoffs - Olajuwon 26.2 FGA/game, 35.9% usage.

'14 playoffs - Harden 22.2 FGA/game, 28.5% usage.
    '15 playoffs - Harden 17.3 FGA/game 29.5% usage.

8. ThaShark316_28

Next Rockets coach when McHale hangs 'em up.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Game 3 not game 4 of 1994 NBA Finals.

Sam was great in Game 2 of the NBA Finals but his even bigger contributions that playoffs came in Game 5 against the Spurs. That game was essential to clinch it in Houston in game 6.

Also he was huge in Game 7 in the 1994 series against the Suns.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The difference is that the entire Rockets offense was designed on the philosophy that Hakeem could not be stopped one on one by anyone in the league.

Harden is not there yet and honestly I dont think he ever will be. His game to game intensity is not there either.

The team needs another initiator on offense.

#10 Zboy, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's interesting how people forget about how different the two championship teams were.

The 94 team had a pretty average offense but was 2nd in the league in defense. I believe the best defensive team was the knicks which is why the finals was grind it out affair.

The 95 team was pretty average defensively ranking 12th in league, but offensively we were 7th and we caught fire in the finals. During the playoffs, the poorest 3 point shooter on the team was drexler at 30 percent, but the second lowest was Pete Chilcut at 39 percent. The rest of the team shot over 40 percent from 3's including Dream who went 2 of 4.

I tell you this much. If our whole team shot over 40 percent for 3's during the playoffs outside of Harden, we would still be playing right now and looking for a sweep.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

^^ The defensive rating of the 95 team during the regular season was misleading because Hakeem missed most of the second half of the season.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Completely agree.

He trying to give all that knowledge to CP3
    Nash gives him a nice bit of credit too

Rocket River

14. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6PLWvSqkDAU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They were even worse in 96 which was their first full year with Drexler. Losing Thorpe was a big deal because he was a borderline all-star and one of the best defensive 4's in the league.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

While I would argue that nobody can stop Harden one on one either, it's totally irrelevant to the point that I was responding to.

The current Rocket team is unselfish and does share the ball. You can argue about the effectiveness but saying that they don't play unselfish or share the ball is simply incorrect. Hakeem dominated the ball more than Harden, he was hugely successful doing it, but you can't say that the championship teams were more unselfish or shared the ball more.

That was my point...nothing more.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

OT was one of the best defensive players in the league, he played with Dream so that made him invisible.

Look at the stats vs Karl Malone with OT vs without OT
    Same with Barkley and other great power forwards

OT should get way more credit and pub, but he never cared, he was too humble and hard working. They don't make OTs any more.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mbuNBGJvDqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Agree 100%. I wished they would have found a way to get OT back. To this day, I still think OT was a better frontcourt pairing with Dream than Barkley.