1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

INTERVIEW - Joel Blank - 10/30/12 - The Big Show - SportsTalk 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mogrod, Oct 30, 2012.

1. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

This is the weekly chat with Joel Blank (color and studio analyst for the radio broadcast). I normally wouldn't post this type of thing, but I thought there was some really good info from him watching Harden at practice yesterday, interacting with his teammates and his role as a leader. As a Rockets fan, you have to be excited hearing some of the things he says.

Skip to 21:50 for the interview
    http://www.sports790.com/player/?st...odcast&program_id=THEBIGSHOW.xml&mid=22581087

My attempt at a transcript:
    Adam: James Harden, the basketball player, what are your thoughts on his first three years and now that he gets to be the #1 here?

Joel: Always impressed with how he had an all around game for such young player. And, being on a team as good as OKC, wasn't sure if he was a go to player. Everyone remembers in the Finals last year he really disappeared. So, that brought some questions. But I watched them practice yesterday, and I'm going to tell you right now he ratcheted the energy level up of practice about 10 times, he got on the guys right away, he was all over from an energy stand point he was saying, "Let's go, let's pay attention. I'm going to be here to pick up everything, I'll catch up. You guys do what you do". When the winning team he was on (in scrimmage) didn't have to run (afterwards), he ran with the losing team. he was focused, he picked everything up. And, when he got the ball, I mean, it was tough to stop him because he can take you off the dribble, he can knock down the three, he can hit the in-between shot. But the thing that impressed me the most, is the way he wants to defend. He wanted to get out and play every bit of defense he could play. It seems like this whole situation to him seems to be a dream come true in terms of being the go to guy.

Matt: This team was going to run, and run a bunch. Question what what were they going to do in the half-court. based on what you saw the rest of the team do, half-court wise, are they going to alter a lot because of what Harden can do that others can not or they asking Harden to run what they basically had before?

Joel: Tough to say after one practice if they'll put something in based on what he can or can't do. I do know this, he basically took to everything they were doing before he got there. I think the wrinkles they put in and what they're looking to do are similar in what they were going to do with Kevin Martin in that they'll run plays for him, isolation plays, plays where he can get the ball on the wing, and even yesterday in the press conference that he talked to coach and they'll call his number and plays. But, I think what he adds that Kevin Martin didn't quite have is a very physical ability to get the ball and go off the dribble, take a defender to the basket, take contact and finish. I saw yesterday several times, he got into the lane and he didn't care if it was Asik or his teammate from OKC, Cole Aldridge, it didn't matter who was in his way, they were going to face some pain when he started coming down on the rim. And that's just great to see, to see a kid who's 23 yrs. old that gets up in the air, takes the contact and finishes strong, I really believe that Houston is in for a treat because they've got a guy that can be the focal point of this team, that really is going to be able to do some things that will be fun to watch.

Adam: With him barking at teammates that way, taking on that leadership role and commanding attention... he's only 23, only been in the league three years, but do you think with the group that they have, so young, so inexperienced, especially as NBA players... he's been to the playoffs three years, he's been in the Finals, he;s been in the conference finals, does that automatically carry weight with young players who haven;t been there?

Joel: There's no question. I mean, if watch the guys' faces, they were excited but they were taken in to how much he was dialed in on practice number one. They all know he has more playoff experience than anyone. And, having 43-44 playoff games under his belt is a huge gold star. But, the fact he was there on day one and really getting everyone fired up, and joining the team and not making it all about him but about team, seemed to get everyone else excited. They were all smiles, all energetic, and all realize that this guy fits right in and, unlike Kevin Martin who was a veteran who was probably going to move on after this year in his last year with the Rockets, you have a guy (Harden) who is excited about building with this franchise and growing with these young guys. Craig (Ackerman) and I talked about it, it's even energized us because this kid brings so much to the table, it's going to be fun to see every game that he plays.

They also talked about Lin's role playing off the ball more now and how the second unit will look, especially now with Aldrich and Cook on the roster. I just didn't think it was relevant enough to type it all out.

Also, props to tallanvor who posted a radio podcast of Bill Simmons and others discussing the trade in the Harden thread. It's a good listen as well.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7275186&postcount=1765

11 people like this.
  2. nbafever

nbafever Member

Thanks, mogrod, for the transcript.

Gives you a glimpse into an All-Star's mentality. Question: how would he take it if we go on a losing streak?

3. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

Thanks for typing out this transcript. Much appreciated.

4. mirus

mirus Member

thanks too. if he can bring those intangibles to this team t'll be ultratastic:grin:

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thx for posting