1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

interesting... very, very interesting (or: stupid... very, very stupid)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i'm normally the last guy to jump into a "so-&-so was released; think the astros/rockets/texans should pick them up?" thread. in fact, i never jump into them. so, naturally, here i am about to start one but....

sources are reporting the chiefs are going to release larry johnson. fairly obvious the guy's a dick and he's having a terrible year. and i admittedly have no idea if he could work in our system (though i think most RBs should be able to, especially bigger, less jukey backs like lj). but wouldn't he be a significant upgrade over chris brown regardless? i think brown is pretty much next-to worthless; not fast enough to log significant carries, not strong enough to be a chain-moving short yardage back.

lj's averaging less than 3 ypc this year but playing for an across-the-board miserable team. last year, he dropped 4.5 and it's not like he'd be our everydown back. anyone think he would have been stopped at the goal line? and he might see this as salvation/a chance to revive his career and could be a real significant contributor down the stretch, especially with slaton struggling/fumbling. more and more, i'm thinking our back-up RB is going to play a major role in our playoff run and god forbid if that back is chris brown.

whaddya think - worth the risk?.......

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It IS very intriguing. As huge of a knucklehead as he's been, I don't think Bob McNair would give him a chance. I would almost rather have Jackie Battle (to compliment Slaton) if I had to choose of KC's backs. It'd be interesting to see him back in Houston. Larry Johnson would give this team an immediate boost. I think, if you do sign him, at most right now, it can only be for 2 years due to character issues. He would immediately bolster our chances and improve our run game.

The big question is whether McNair would be willing, since he likes character guys.

He did go after Benson, though. ;)

In other news, I heard that the Texans gave John David Booty a look. Probably nothing to that story, though.

3. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I don't think McNair's the type of owner who would take a chance on a guy with an off-the-field record like LJ.

LJ doesn't seem like a very motivated player, either. I think Chris Brown is pretty much garbage (as do most), but at least he acts excited when he gets a 2 yard run...sometimes.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Agree with everyone so far...it's very intersting but just don't think McNair will go for it, just not the Texans type of player.

Saying that, the A-Hole only acts like one when he isn't getting touches on a bad team. He will get touches here and TDs(Goaline Back I assume) so maybe for 9 games or so games he would keep his mouth shut and be the perfect complimentary back we need.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what "character issues" are we talking about?

6. Two Sandwiches

Chiefs' Johnson Apologizes, Sent Away (ESPN)

Johnson apologizes for gay slur

ESPN.com news services

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson issued his second apology in 12 months Tuesday and was told to stay away from the team while the NFL and the Chiefs complete their investigation into his use of a gay slur.

As Johnson was releasing his apology, a national gay rights advocacy organization called on the league and the team to take disciplinary action against the two-time Pro Bowler.

The latest chapter in Johnson's stormy career began Sunday night when he questioned coach Todd Haley's football credentials on his Twitter account.

He used the slur during an exchange with one of his Twitter followers. A day later, he used it again as he brushed off reporters and told them he would not comment, according to the Kansas City Star, which recorded the comment.

Haley refused to address the matter Tuesday, saying it was still being investigated.

"I'm just not going to comment any further because there is some stuff going on," Haley said.

Larry Johnson's father told the Kansas City Star that he was hurt by his son's use of gay slurs.

"That's just not who we are and not what we believe," Larry Johnson Sr. told the newspaper. "It's not how he was raised.

"It's tough for me as a father."

Johnson Sr. told the newspaper that it would be wrong to label his son as homophobic.

"He does not hate gays. That's not Larry, and that's not our family," Johnson Sr. told the newspaper. "He's my son. You can't disown him. We just talk to him, listen to him, and help him move forward."

Johnson, who turns 30 next month, signed a five-year contract extension in 2007 that included $19 million guaranteed and could be worth up to $45 million. The team could be checking to see whether Johnson violated contract provisions that would allow the Chiefs to cut him with reduced financial obligation.

Last spring, an arbitrator ruled that the Chiefs could release the running back and not owe him $3.5 million in guaranteed money because he had violated contract conditions by pleading guilty to disturbing the peace in another incident.

The issue became moot when the team elected not to cut him and until he began tweeting on Sunday night, the often-volatile Johnson had been on good behavior.

The Chiefs said they have told Johnson he would not be allowed to practice with the team or participate in team activities until the matter was resolved, though he has not been suspended. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would have no comment pending the investigation.

Johnson, who needs only 75 yards rushing to become the Chiefs' all-time leader, apologized to Haley, the team, fans and the league "for the words I used."

"I regret my actions. The words were used by me in frustration, and they were not appropriate," he said through a spokesman. "I did not intend to offend anyone, but that is no excuse for what I said."

The apology sounded similar to one he made almost exactly a year ago after one woman accused him of throwing a drink on her and another said he had pushed her. The incidents happened separately in Kansas City nightclubs and led to his being sentenced to two years' probation after pleading guilty to two counts of disturbing the peace.

"I'm going to work to that point to get my life back on track and know that I and I alone put myself in these critical situations and environments to where things don't come out favorably to me," he said on Oct. 22, 2008.

At the time, Johnson was benched for three games by then-coach Herm Edwards and suspended for a game by commissioner Roger Goodell.

On Tuesday, Johnson apologized to "all the kids who view athletes as role models. I was not a good role model yesterday and hopefully I can become a better role model. We all make mistakes, and the challenge is to learn from them.

"I will do my best to learn from this one as I move toward becoming a better person, teammate, and member of the Kansas City Chiefs team and community."

Johnson's agent said all his client could do now was wait.

"It's up to the NFL to investigate it and see what they want to do, and we will respond accordingly," Peter Schaffer told The Associated Press. "We've apologized. Larry's trying to move forward. It is what it is right now."

Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, called on the NFL and the Chiefs to take disciplinary action and seize a chance to educate "on the dangers of homophobia in sports."

Such slurs are used to "ridicule and harass young gay and transgender athletes on local sports fields across America," Barrios said.

Barrios said he welcomed the apology.

"Larry Johnson's apology sends an important message that there is no excuse for using anti-gay epithets," Barrios said.

Drafted in the first round out of Penn State in 2003, Johnson was one of the best running backs in the NFL in 2005 and '06, rushing for more than 1,700 yards in each season. This year, like the Chiefs, he has struggled, averaging only 2.7 yards per carry.

Kansas City (1-6) has a bye week.

7. Hey Now!

well, he's likely getting his release because of gay slurs he posted to his twitter account. and he's had several incidents with women; i believe he once spit in a female's face, iirc.

he's a bad dude, no question. BUT... does that carry over into the locker room? i've not heard he was a cancer or bad teammate and i tend to excuse players for anything they say playing for a team/coach like they have in KC.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Aside from the recent use of gay slurs, he was charged with disturbing the peace about a year ago for throwing a drink in a woman's face and pushing another woman at nightclubs in separate incidents.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Along with what everyone else has pointed out, he almost ruined my FFL team last year after I picked his sorry A$$ in the 1st round. :mad:

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Johnson, who turns 30 next month, signed a five-year contract extension in 2007 that included $19 million guaranteed and could be worth up to $45 million. The team could be checking to see whether Johnson violated contract provisions that would allow the Chiefs to cut him with reduced financial obligation.

Arbitration here we come! The Chiefs will do everything they can to get out of that deal.

Jackie Battle? When Javorskie Lane is still out there?

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would be okay with bringing him in. Honestly I don't think there is that much risk involved as long as McNair doesn't mind the possibility of throwing away some money on a guy like that if he doesn't work out. I have to wonder if LJ would be willing to accept the role the Texans would offer him, however. Not to say he is a better player than a backup RB at this point, but he probably thinks he is, so he might not take that gig just yet. Possibly if he sees Slaton's problems this year (both in getting consistent yardage on the ground and the fumblitis) and might think he could worm his way into a starting job again.

At any rate, I have no problem bringing him in. I have no idea if McNair would do it, though.

12. Two Sandwiches

I agree. I have no problem with it. I do think that he could be that one little piece that could push us over the edge.

13. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Waste of money. If you think running back is the problem in our below average running game, you're ignoring the 400 lb gorilla. Our run blocking has been dismal and we haven't recovered from losing Chester Pitts.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind signing him.

Playing in Houston has an odd way of calming down troubled athletes (Ron Artest, Carl Everett, Jeff Kent).

I don't think McNair will do it though.

15. Hey Now!

the OL has nothing to do with slaton's inability to hold onto the football nor were they responsible for brown's fumble at the goal line against jacksonville. and i have a hard time believing a back like lj, regardless of the issues with the ol, would have failed 3 times to punch it into the end zone from the 1 against arizona.

16. Hey Now!

add:
    it's reasonable to argue that with a better RB than chris brown, this team would have been better positioned to be 5-2, possibly 6-1.

17. Two Sandwiches

It's fairly reasonable, and I have argued that myself. I can't convince anyone of it (not even myself), but that is a good point.

18. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

"Gay slurs" . . . won't go over well in Houston. Jus' sayin'

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Its really no coincidence that Johnson's numbers took a nose-dive as soon as that Kansas City O-line started to fall apart with the aging of Willie Roaf, Will Shileds, etc. Priest Holmes was putting up hall of fame numbers behind that line after being a career backup in Baltimore.

Johnson is a worthless bum and I'll tell you the real reason the Chiefs aren't going to let him play another down.

He's only 70-some yards away from being the Chiefs all-time leading rusher, and nobody in the organization wants to see him have that record.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Mcnair won't do it. Not this soon after his last incident. And I'm glad he won't...LJ is trash.