1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting TrueHoop article on "tweener" forwards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Jul 20, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

This is only borderline relevant to the Rockets, but I decided to post it here because there has been so much discussion about which position players like Marcus Morris, Royce White, and Terrence Jones should play.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/48187/no-such-thing-as-a-tweener-anymore

The TL;DR conclusion Mason comes to is that "tweener forwards" should almost always play power forward, not small forward.

1 person likes this.
  2. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

So true when it says all tweeners are probably best suited to play pf. Morris???

3. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Morris can't play either.

Conclusion --

He shouldn't be in the NBA.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

hard to disagree with the author's point. Makes me rethink my assertion that Royce White is a 3. Thanks for posting OremLK.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think people have probably ruled out Morris too quickly. His brother looks really good, and Marcus was better and more advanced than Markieff in college. I just think it was a mistake to play Marcus at the 3, and even more of one to put him in a position where he only plays a few minutes a game, is forced to play off the ball most of the time, and generally doesn't get a chance to get into his groove.

6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

IDK ... He's comments about Williams not being fast, or laterally quick enough, to play or even guard the 3 may not be so accurate.

I mean in terms of lateral quickness, Derrick Williams is actually as quick as Chandler Parsons. A guy who many on here consider a pretty good, if not great, defender and a overall great athletic SF.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2011&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=.

Williams poor defense on three's may not be due to quickness.

7. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

The difference between good and bad tweeners is defense. Good tweener who can defend both positions is actually better than either 3 or 4, because he can have mismatch advantage on offense.

I don't agree with the example in this article where it compares Iguodala vs Milsap. Milsap played well in some games as SF and he has good instincts in defending 3's. Pierce and Lebron are not lighting quick either.

Morris seems to be quicker than last season, but he needs better motor and consistency. He may not pan out but Rockets should be patient with his development(but I doubt Mchale will let him grow slowly while allocating playing time).

8. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

If he's still here at the start of the season, I'd like to see Royce spend some time at Center for the 2nd unit. He's built like Chuck Hayes, but is a little taller. Point-center? I've never thought of him as a SF.

Possible Rotation:

J.Lin / T.Douglas
    K.Martin / J.Lamb
    C.Parsons / M.Morris
    Dmo / T.Jones
    Asik / R.White

Bench/Inactive: Ppat, Machado, Zoran, Harrellson, Forbes.

9. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

This^ he basically didn't get any burn his rookie season and I guess apparently out of place...he should have played 4 from the start let him get comfortable and confident and let him expand his game from there on out...

10. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Derrick Williams looks soooo slow to me when I watch him play, I think he’s lost something like 15 pounds this summer and still looked slow to me in these summer league games. Those combine measurements can be deceiving; I don’t think there’s any possible way he’s as quick as Parsons is.

I’m pretty sure it was also pointed out here that Marcus Morris tested better than Carmelo too as evidence that he would be able to play the three…and we all know how that turned out.

11. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

Wow I can't believe you did my boy ppatt like that
    Maybe more along the line of....

J.Lin / T.Douglas
    J.Lamb / Parsons
    C.Parsons / R.White / Forbes?
    Patterson / D.Mo / R.White / T.Jones
    Asik / D.Mo / T. Jones

Not that anything is wrong with you line up choice this is just my preference but honestly the possibilities are endless

:cool:

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Morris' observable minutes have been small, but of what I have seen, there was zero indication that can guard the 3. It is impossible to imagine him in the role of Iguodala described in the article. Morris is simply too easily blown past.

IMO, the only way he might possibly survive at all guarding a quick 3 would be by guarding off. This might work against a 3 who does not shoot well from the outside (like Parsons)? But a good shooter would just beat him that way.

Then again, maybe the sample size has just been too small? He did slim down some. Perhaps he made it his mission this summer to improve lateral quickness? I have read that this is at least possible, to an extent. Does anyone here know the story on this? It's hard to say based upon what we've seen so far.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

We got the next Julian Wright. ;)

14. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

LBJ is a tweener too

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Parson's defended 4's better than 3's, actually, he was the best defender at tge 4 position in the West. However, because literally shut down Durant, his 'label' is a great SF defender. He defended 3's good, 4's great.

16. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I've been a little disappointed with Ppat. The boards and blocks haven't been there. His shot is solid though. Perhaps he'll bounce back. I've just grown to really like these rookies and their skill-sets. Definitely liking the variety of lineups we can throw at teams though :)

17. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

I disagree:

http://www.82games.com/1112/11HOU10.HTM

Scroll down and look at Opponent Counterpart 48-Minute Production.

Gave up more points and board versus Power Forwards the percentages were very similar.

For some perspective he was worse then Scola at defending power Forwards.

http://www.82games.com/1112/11HOU14.HTM

Bleed Red Rockets Red

Fierguard