1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

interesting facts about money

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Prempeh, Sep 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Hey fellas do you have any quirky info about money, specifically paper money?

For instance, there is a 172 in the bushes at the bottom of the Lincoln Memorial on a 5 dollar bill...anybody know what that number is supposed to represent?

Also that the cars on a ten dollar bill are a composite of various models of the time.

Other facts -- 97% of US currency has traces of cocaine on it...any others that you think of?

2. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

If you look real hard, you can find a mushroom on the 1$ bill.

Bet me !

;)

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

my favorite

...and proof that some people have WAY too much time on their hands...

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I did a tour of the Bureau of Printing and Engraving and they had some interesting tidbits:

they are still printing $2 bills, although not as often because people keep hoarding them as collectors items and it takes a while for them to get beat up enough to be destroyed

they print money in Fort Worth and DC. Fort Worth $5-$100 bills have a FW just to the right of the Sec of Treasury's name .

US currency is mostly cotton, which is why you can wash it and it doesnt shred. but not so much cotton that it shrinks. A lot of the cotton comes from old clothes which is why you see the occasional red or blue filament in there

if you mail in rotten or burned or just overall trashed money, the Dept of P&E can try to determine how much it was and send you a check for the value

just before "Y2K", they printed money 24-7. now they are back to 5 days a week, bankers hours.

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, I found that out this past summer. My family went to Galveston and there is a toll thing that takes $2 to use. My mom, who works at a bank, just got a bunch of $2's to make it easy. I had thought they were gone.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

7. The Voice of Reason

being a bank employee for the last year and a half, but only for 1 more week. (new job bigger $$) I know lots of stuff.

first of all, there is itsy bitsy writing on all the new bills. if you have good eyes like me, some of the tiny lines in presidents portraits(usually near the collar) are infact the words :united states of america" written over and over, but it just looks like a line

those red/blue threads are not accidently in there from old clothes. thats BS, however the money is make of cloth. basicly the same as denim, but much finer.
    the threads are fibers put in there to thwart counterfiters. photocopiers cant reproduce those threads in color easily, and if they can(newer coppiers) they cant make them raised(textured)

the strip on the laft 1/3rd of the bill actually has a metalic foil in it.

I remember some weird conspericy with the old one, or 20, I forget. it has 13 13s on it. like the eagle is holding 13 arrows. 13 brocks on the pyramid 13 olive leafs. etc.