1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting Draft Info: Brandon Roy, Rockets moving down...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Outlier, Jun 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Outlier

Outlier Member

2. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Interesting, though not surprising.

Everything I've seen in some mock drafts recently, it seems Carney & Brewer are slotted behind the Rockets' #8 pick. I could very easily see them trading back to grab one of them or one of the PGs available as well (Foye, Rondo, Douby, Collins).

Hell, even hoopshype has Carney dropping all the way down past Brewer to #15.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

your sure pimping that site hard. is the guy running the site your cousin or something?

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'd be pretty pissed if I was a coach or gm planning to see Roy workout. A little 3 hour time difference is a poor excuse for pulling out of a workout IMO, it probably doesn't sit well when you just happen to be pulling out of workouts against more athletic players.

Gay supposedly impressed the Bobcats today as well. I updated my mock w/ the Cats picking Gay instead of Morrison.

http://www.clutchfans.net/nbadraft/mockdraft/?fuseaction=mockdraft&xMockID=2769

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

if roy stock falls i'd be wary about whether he's going to be another reece gaines.

i updated my mock after reading this article:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/06/02/gay.bobcats.ap/

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If the Bulls draft Tyrus Thomas at #2 they are making a huge mistake. If it's true he's limiting his workouts to the top 3 teams and won't even do competitive workouts with them, I hope he drops out of the top 10. He's a one year wonder just waiting to break the heart of whoever selects him.

I love this time of year. The draft rumors and workout reports for the next 3 weeks will keep my adrenaline running almost as much as the NBA regular season. My only complaint is I wish the radio guys would discuss this stuff more.

7. Diaw

Diaw Member

i'am all for trading down, even if roy is available, for NO both picks ... at 12 and 15 there will be plenty of good players available, like maybe Brewer, Carney, Rondo, Ager, S. Williams, Douby, Collins, Simmons, Millsap, Foye, Redick etc etc ... no way we'll have a lottery pick next year, so if we can fill 2 of the 3 holes of our roster right now for cheap, let's do it

8. CHC

CHC Member

If we can get JJ and Brewer with Hornet's 12 and 15 picks then that would be sweet. We can then play JJ at PG and let Brewer handles the ball at SG position. At PG JJ will not suffer so much in terms of defense and he can just do what he does the best - shoot the ball. Brewer can get to distribute the ball and provide defence and slashing that he does the best. :D

9. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

JJ does not have the ball handelling skills to play PG, not to say his lack of atheleticism.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He's talking about J.J. playing point similiar to what John Paxson did in Chicago. With 2 ball handlers/playmakers on the floor, all Paxson did was find the dead spot on the floor. He wasn't bringing the ball up and handling against the opposing point.

11. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

How much have the Rockets suffered going against Paul and Claxton this year? If JJ comes up against speedy PGs like TJ Ford, Baron Davis, Tony Parker, Jason Terry, even Smush Parker, it's not only conceding points but leaving Yao vulnerable to foul trouble as well. And I can't see JJ having any chance against the likes of Chaucey Billups of Jason Kidd that can post him up either. Not to mention the MVP.

12. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Let's just trade the 8 for the 12 and 15, take Brewer and Rondo, and have the ability to play with a steel curtain of a perimeter defense when we need it. I honestly get equally excited about that as I do about drafting a high-flying swingman like Carney or Gay.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

You guys act like the Hornets want to trade up and it's a sure thing. I doubt the Hornets want to do that.

14. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

It would have to be the 8th pick and a player. Perhaps Swift or Head. That would be more realistic.

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well draftexpress (with ESPN being next) does give the most comprehensive draft/workout info on the web.

And regarding trading down to NOLA, it definitely depends on if a player they really covet lands at our spot. Otherwise, we'd probably have to give up our 2nd rounder or Luther to get something done for their first rounders, and even that might not be enough. Trading down to 12 and 15 is an ideal, but certainly not necessarily a likely possibility right now.

16. Diaw

Diaw Member

yes i doubt that they'll swap theirs picks just for our #8, but their team is young (paul, jr smith, west) and i think they'd rather have a higher pick + a vet than their two picks ... they are under the cap so maybe we can ship'em howard :D

17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

If New Orleans really wants to secure someone at #8, I think this is a fair deal...

All of our picks (8, 32)

for

All of their picks (12, 15, 43)

18. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

First of all, I am not sure where is this rumor of the Hornets want to trade up with us came from.

Second, I am hearing a lot of posters who are willing to trade Luther Head. Head exceeded my expectation and others and will continue to improve. He is a keeper.

Third, #8 for #12&#15 is a bit aggressive but not unreasonable. If the Hornet have someone they like at #8, I think they are willing to do it.
    Remeber the Rockets they gave up #13,#18 & #22 for #7.

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

That's far from a fair deal. Maybe 8+32 for 12+15. But I don't even think that's possible.

20. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Like I said, someone needs to drop that the Hornets would really want. Tyrus Thomas could be the guy. And it would highly mirror the Eddie Griffin deal too btw. A highly touted big man, who has #1 pick potential, falls to #7-8 where a team jumps up using a package of picks. It would be positively eerie if it went down like that. If that happened, I would be convinced that we would have exorcised the demons of that EG deal, and the franchise can take the next big step forward.