1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting conversation between Shaq and Yao Ming after the game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeguo, Nov 18, 2002.

1. joeguo

joeguo Contributing Member

After the game, when Yao walked toward Rocket's bus he found that Shaq was standing alone beside the bus waiting for him. "You played well tonight, Yao" Shaq said while extended his hand to Yao. "That's because you were not in the court" Yao responded with a little bit of surprise. Shaq said :"I'll be returning soon." " I'll wait you" You responded.

Maybe Shaq found his true rivalry and showed some respect to Yao? It's quite interesting.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2002-11-19/0519351973.shtml

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Very interesting. Thanks for that.

3. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Good stuff...thanks joeguo :)

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It looks like Shaq gained some respect for Yao after seeing him play. I also think that Shaq would like a rival to go against. Hopefully Yao can become that kind of player that would give Shaq a challenge.

5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yao better start eating the beef steaks and barbeque...I'm sure Shaq was setting the rook up for their next meeting. I like Yao's response...smart kid.

6. man532

man532 Member

Yao should stay in the US, skip rope, and play soccer to improve his foot work. Until then the Diesel crosses over and dunks on him continuously.

I have nightmares of the Marbuy cross over as Ming falls to the floor like a doll

7. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

damn yao ming is one cool guy. i bet most people would freeze up and stutter 'thanks' and leave or something.

8. prlen

prlen Member

"Congratulations to Mr. Ming," O'Neal said. "He's done a lot for his country. He shall be 'The Man' in a few years to come. But for a rookie he's doing A-plus work. However, whenever you have a guy who comes in like that you must take it to him before he takes it to you. That will be my job."

9. harumph

harumph Member

i wonder if yao said that in english or thru colin pine (has "c-pine" got any groopies yet? :D)?

nice to hear that shaq can actually be nice/normal & isn't just a pure ego machine. Strange that none of the western media made mention of that conversation, only his "press release" comments. Actually, i can see it in the chron "rox notes" section tomorrow now (with cc.net as the source... where else do they get their "inside" info???).

10. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I read these quotes in the chronicle too. Overall, I think Shaq is a pretty classy guy that won't disrespect you to your face, unless you're David Robinson of course. Then again, Shaq has an image to maintain as the most dominant player in the league so he has to throw a few shots at Yao in media interviews to keep things competitive.

11. harumph

harumph Member

many good points. after we swept him in orlando he was laying the praise on hakeem big-time

12. omar23

omar23 Member

Can someone post the article , its not working for me

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Anyone who really takes Shaq's comments, to make him a classless jerk, obviously knows nothing about how he is off the court.

Shaq spends countless hours and money on charity type of stuff, as well as just being an overall fun guy.

When he speaks his mind, he suddenly becomes an "*******" or something to that extent? Come on.

And I'm sure that Shaq wants Yao to actually be good, for the reason that Shaq has no center in the league, who he has to get up for.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Shaq is a moron with his dumb quotes. However, he has always been classy off the court and is a top two player on the court. The only reason most people on this board hate him sometimes (which includes me) is because he is not a Rocket.

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Can it be true? That is so weird that Shaq "happened" to be there by the bus and waiting outside to meet Yao. It sounds like something from a movie where the jealous player is wanting to cause animosity w/ the star.....

But it is weird that it happened that way. It is going to be interesting to see.....:)

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

But according to the website, and from what I could decipher, it didn't really say about Shaq meeting up w/ Ming...

Can someone explain? :confused:

17. codell

codell Contributing Member

Im glad to see Shaq took the time to say something nice to Yao.

Does anyone remember the moment that Hakeem had with Shaq right after game 4 of the 1995 finals when Hakeem pulled Shaq to the side, embraced him and (assuming) gave him words of encouragement? I remember that Shaq didnt even look Hakeem in the eye nor did he respond after Hakeem talked to him.

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I agree with taht 100%. Shaq is a class act, he might do stupid things on the court but EVERY player, no matter how classy, has done something ridiculous or said something stupid on the court. Except for Duncan and Hill, they might have but I swear to god I've never heard a bad thing about them on or off the court. Weird. I remember a few years ago when Shaq dressed up as Santa Claus, filled up a dump truck full of playstations and went around the neighborhood giving them to kids. Class guy off the court.

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

He was probably upset. I remember seeing old clips of the Suns/Bulls Finals series and after losing Jordan was saying some words of encouragement to Barkley and Barkley didn't look at him and barely said anything to him. It's hard to say something to someone when you just suffered the biggest disappointment in your sporting life.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

sorry, I don't believe that conversation happened. Why the hell would Shaq wait at a bus? That is not something Shaq would do, or anyone really.

Wait alone next to a bus. Puhlease. Chinese media makes things up.