1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

INTERESTING ARTICLE

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, Aug 2, 2000.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I could right an article about criticizing Republicans about numerous, numerous things if I wanted to make the assumption that all of them were crazy ultra-conservatives.

The fact of the matter is that most Democrats are moral, good human beings. While we may disagree on what is moral (anti-abortion v. pro-choice, gay rights v. non-gay rights, etc.), we are every bit as moral as conservatives.

The crazies on the right are as numerous as the crazies on the left.

Now, I know I'll hear someone say, "My gosh, RM95, that's a Democrat saying this, so it must be true." Save it. That's like saying one African-American speaks for all African-Americans. They don't.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

3. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Well I am a republican but I must agree crazy to the right or crazy to the left is just crazy.

I do not like either side to distort the truth to perpetuate their agenda. Both sides do it and for that they are wrong. We are all americans and we need to stick together no matter what. [​IMG]

I do not care what vote somebody cast 20 years ago nor do I care about what some political pundit says. I vote my conscience and I have voted for a democrate in the past but they have slid over a little to far on the liberal side recently. That is why I like the republican platform currently. I realize that people say many things to get elected but my core beliefs on government and how to use the surplus match what the republican are saying. Now if they do not do what they promise to do well I will vote them out next go around. The democrates have had 8 years in the oval office and it is time for a change.

Just my humble opinion.. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

[This message has been edited by Dennis2112 (edited August 02, 2000).]

4. MadMax

Rocketman -- I think you missed the point. He pointed out that not all democrats were worthy of his criticism. He pointed out Moynihan as a good man...I would tend to agree!! His concern is a growing movement in the party that concerns him. But he's not labelling all democrats that way...he is a democrat, himself. But I don't think it's much of a stretch to say there's a real difference between the tactics of Al Gore or Bill Clinton and Moynihan or Byrd. I respect the hell out of Bill Bradley as a man, though I disagree vehemently with many of his solutions.

------------------

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

"The democrates have had 8 years in the oval office and it is time for a change."

Dennis why do you feel its time for a change? America is in the midst of the greatest economy in its history, crime is at an all time low, unemployment is at its lowest level in 35 years, people overall seem to be doing quite well.

Why change?

Now, granted there is always room for improvement. We still have a long way to go in some areas such as civil rights and foreign policy, not to mention the so called War on Drugs.

------------------

6. Dennis2112

The people have no respect for the government. There is not trust. We have a man in the highest office of the land trying to control every aspect of our lives with government. He only cares about one thing ...HIM! I want somebody who will work for the people not act like he owned something. Clinton is not a king. When Reagan was in the oval office he would not even remove his jacket due the respect he had for the people who had served before him. All Clinton cared about was removing his pants. [​IMG]

It is time for a change in leadership and direction. Clinton has blocked every bill that has been placed before until a poll said for him to sign it and then took credit for it after it was finally passed. I could go on but , well you get my point. [​IMG]

------------------
    In Rudy We Trust

7. MadMax

mc mark -- you're ascribing all of those successes to the Oval Office??

Do you honestly believe crime has diminished because of something Bill Clinton did. My personal opinion is that the baby boomers, a huge generation, have reached an age where statistically they're less likely to commit crimes. This, plus differences in how crimes are reported today, account for lower crime figures. But even still...the job of legislating and enforcing criminal law is left primarily to the states...not the federal government.

As for the economy...well...you guys have read my thoughts on just how relevant I feel the president is to the economy. Congress and the Fed are far more responsible for the economy than the president. Right now Congress seems to be acting entirely independent of the president...they continue to pass bill after bill that the president says he will veto...when he vetoes it the first time, they send it back again..and again. Yet the economy hums along. One could make a real argument that the president has an effect on the economy if he worked in harmony with Congress...but that hasn't happened (like FDR or Reagan's vision for what the economy should be which ultimately finds its way into law at the hands of Congress). Clinton's not introducing any legislation that's being adopted by Congress.

------------------

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Uhhhhh.... MadMax, those bills never go into effect until he does sign them, so I am unsure as to what your argument is.

------------------
    In related news, the RNC has gathered every politician that Bill Clinton ever defeated to speak on behalf of George W. Bush.

9. MadMax

Achebe -- actually my point is that unless Congress is on-board a president's economic viewpoint, his vision for an economy is never realized. Clinton, as Dennis points out, eventually signs Republican legislation when the polls indicate he should. But otherwise there's quite the stalemate. My point is simply that a president has far less power to shape an economy than Congress or the Fed do. If a congress continues to pass the same bill over and over again..in most cases..it eventually gets signed.

------------------

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I guess we somewhat agree...

as long as he keeps rejecting the tax cuts that Congress keeps proposing, there will not be inflation, and thus the interest rates will stay moderate and the economy will do okay.

I can live with that. [​IMG]

------------------
    In related news, the RNC has gathered every politician that Bill Clinton ever defeated to speak on behalf of George W. Bush.

11. mc mark

Dennis,

Sorry but your whole argument goes out the window if you're going to use Reagan as an example of a "good" executive legislature.

"All Clinton cared about was removing his pants."

Come on Dennis, this is just blind hatred rearing its ugly head. Doesn't help your argument.

Madmax, I have to agree about your thoughts on crime. But legislation has to start somewhere and that somewhere is either congress or the oval office. So yes, I do believe that Clinton has had a hand in lowering the crime rate.

And Max, again, if you're going to use Reagan as an example of good economic policy, I have to laugh. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited August 02, 2000).]

12. Dennis2112

My analogy was the reverance that Reagan had for the office of the presidency not his legistrative ability. While I believe that Reagan was great in what he did I was not comparing him to Clinton except for the respect issue. You have to admit though that Clinton did have a problem with his zipper. [​IMG]

It is merely a statement of fact not some conspiricy. Clinton has benefited quite well from the policies of the 80's. What bill, law, or action did Clinton do that made this economy great? Was it the balanced budget..no that was the republican congress. Please enlighten me to the truth.. [​IMG]

------------------
    In Rudy We Trust

13. mc mark

Can't argue with great logic!

And yes Clinton does like the ladies.

But hey he's the PRESIDENT!!! [​IMG]

By the way, how do you edit another post like that to comment on?

------------------

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited August 02, 2000).]

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That article was too long and had big words like "fascism", it made my head hurt.

I am glad this guy wrote that article - otherwise I would have never known that political parties use dirty tricks and have an internal structure that is rediculously hierarchical.

The sun has risen the clouds have parted. An epiphany lurks.

Lucky for us it is only the democratic party.

mc mark,
    click on the "ubb code is on" link to the left. Scroll down, it'll tell ya.

------------------
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

15. MadMax

mcmark -- Reagan's economic policies, adopted by Congress (particularly in the tax reform bill) were hugely influential on pulling this country out of stagflation.

------------------