1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting Article #2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Achebe, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

MadMax started a neat discussion with an article he had found, and I figured that I would attempt to do the same.

In the article 'Surrealistic silence on Saddam' Michael Moran discusses the silence by the GOP on Bush Sr.'s most memorable foreign policy act: The Gulf War. Sure, there was a cute video, and Stormin' Norman even rang in with an endorsement for Dubyah... but where's the beef?

Norman was furious when George Bush Sr. did not let him complete his mission, so it seems as if his endorsement was a bit on the weak side. I also expressed a similar concern with John McCain's speech last night in a separate thread (McCain, again, was someone that I had developed respect for earlier this year). What were your takes on each of these speeches? Were they lacking? Were these men merely filling their responsibilities to the party? Was it transparent to the public (i.e. my mom is an ardent Republican, but of course she knows nothing about any of these issues).

My biggest interest follows. I have watched George W. Bush talk to veterans' groups. I have read Dubyah say to the Chronicle that it was 'either Canada or the Guard'. Now he chooses Dick Cheney as his VP running mate; he also avoided Vietnam. Haven't I just watched Republicans blast Clinton for the past 8 years about his military service record? Pick or choose: complain about him, or vote for the exact same person (w/o the intelligence, charisma and the ability to refrain from speaking about himself in the third person).

Thoughts?

------------------
    Dubyah: Because the picture on the newspaper. It just seems so un-American to me, the picture of the guy storming the house with a scared little boy there. I talked to my little brother, Jeb—I haven't told this to many people. But he's the governor of—I shouldn't call him my little brother--my brother, Jeb, the great governor of Texas.
    Jim Lehrer: Florida.
    Dubyah: Florida. The state of the Florida.
    —The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer, April 27, 2000
    http://www.georgewbushspeaks.com/default.htm

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited August 03, 2000).]

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Achebe,

Party before candidates. The republicans are trying really hard to come across as unified.

McCain is trying to preserve his credibility for 2004. This shows that he was a good loser, and he can hope it will keep him in favor for his next election. He has, woever, been boo'd by some of his supporters by endorsing Bush.

It has been well known that Bush, Sr. angered the military with what they felt was premature withdrawal.

------------------
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Achebe...thank you very much for the link in your signature. Scary stuff!!

------------------
    Bring It!!

4. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Yeah, it really scares me that a politician who spends 12 to 16 hours a day in the public eye could have a slip of the tongue.

"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."
    --Vice President Al Gore, 9/22/97

"For NASA, space is still a high priority."
    --Vice President Al Gore, 9/5/93

"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."
    --Vice President Al Gore

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history, I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."
    --Vice President Al Gore, 9/15/95

"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people."
    --Vice President Al Gore

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
    --Vice President Al Gore

"[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."
    --Vice President Al Gore

"We're all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to enlighten you on the mistakes we may or may not have made."
    --Vice President Al Gore

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change."
    --Vice President Al Gore, 5/22/98

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared.'"
    --Vice President Al Gore, 12/6/93

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
    --Vice President Al Gore, 11/30/96

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."
    --Vice President Al Gore

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    --Vice President Al Gore

"We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."
    -- Vice President Al Gore, 9/21/97

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."
    -- Vice President Al Gore to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/93

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."
    -- Vice President Al Gore

"I am not part of the problem. I am a Democrat."

"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."

"Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having it."
    -- Vice President Al Gore, 5/20/996

"Democrats understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child."

"Welcome to President Clinton, Mrs. Clinton, and my fellow astronauts."

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."

"People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have tremendous impact on history."

"When I have been asked who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame."
    -- Al Gore

"The American people would not want to know of any misquotes that Al Gore may or may not make."

Source: Walter Brush, UAB Cardiology

Terrifying!

------------------
    I didn't use the cocaine to get high, I just liked the way it smelled.

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BK,

Now this is really scary!

Everything you just posted, I have seen in books and webpages from years ago under the category of "Quaylisms", as in the former VP.

Summthin is fishy!

------------------
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Yep, we definitely have a couple of terrifying candidates for president this year. And, if you count Pat Robertson, it becomes a terrifying threesome! [​IMG]

------------------
    Bring It!!

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Kagy, those are hilarious!

[​IMG]

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

8. Achebe

I'm scared too.

I saw a dozen of those attributed to Quayle recently, including:

But either way, they're hilarious. I would argue that neither of the candidates have the eloquence of Clinton... I found alot of the links on the website interesting because of the quote's hidden truths, and the author of the site's analysis.

Including:

------------------
    Dubyah: Because the picture on the newspaper. It just seems so un-American to me, the picture of the guy storming the house with a scared little boy there. I talked to my little brother, Jeb—I haven't told this to many people. But he's the governor of—I shouldn't call him my little brother--my brother, Jeb, the great governor of Texas.

Dubyah Speaks.

9. Achebe

insideout,

I'm not sure what your point is, but I gather that we digressed into toying w/ the silliness of a few quotes.

Back to my original question to the conservatives 'on board': Were the speeches by McCain or Gen. Norman Sch... moving emotionally or seen as merely political tools within the Republican masses?

------------------

Dubyah Speaks.

10. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

nice link achebe...bush is an idiot...

------------------
    i am rather like a mosquito in a nudist camp..i know what i ought to do but i don't know where to begin...

11. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

wow.. we have a bunch of stupid candidates. wow.. how stupid are they. they must be dumb.

[​IMG]

------------------
    i need a vacation