1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Intentionally tanking.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by McGradyPwns, Aug 2, 2012.

1. McGradyPwns

McGradyPwns Member

We found out that it's not allowed in badminton so why is it not only allowed but encouraged in basketball?

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's not encouraged by league officials. Thats supposedly why the NBA came up with the lottery.

3. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

because badminton is a pure game fit for royalty [meaning no one cares about results or the game]

4. McGradyPwns

McGradyPwns Member

So all those teams that are "rebuilding" and are trying to win "in the future", you would not consider that tanking?

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

No team officially will come out and say they are intentionally trying to lose more games to get a better draft position. The assumption is that the players they put on the court are playing to win.

6. McGradyPwns

McGradyPwns Member

Yes, I agree with you that the players they throw out to the court are trying to win. They do it in other ways, explain why we amnestied Scola and let Dragic walk?

7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

olympics is a joke

if 3 judges ruled player A is the winner
    but there is a person who can over rule that
    why have the 3 judges in the first place?

8. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

it is really stretching it to compare the merits of tanking in basketball vs. badminton. in badminton, no matter who you are or how strong you are, you can't smack the s.**** any faster than the next human. however, in basketball one can penetrate the hole faster and harder than others, thus providing incentive to acquire those high performing assets.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

and the players are playing to win (unless they are Blatche and Javale McGee and a few other specimens who never play to win, but that's besides the point).

and no coach intentionally tries to come up with losing strategies. Now substitution patters ("develop" youngsters and give them 30 minutes each; "shut down our stars") may be passed down from above.

An explicit order to lose is not necessary nor do I think it happens.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No one is intentionally trying to miss shots or throw passes to the other team.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

if you want to avoid tanking altogether, you have to change the draft system entirely. e.g., give the best lottery odds to teams that are closest to that frustrating "hump", the mid table, instead of the biggest losers.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

If the badmington players played with some horrible guys who tried their best and still lost, they wouldn't have been kicked out. Problem was they were intentionally trying to lose with the players playing.

Think of baseball; you can trade all your best players away and lose the most games but if a player ever intentionally tries to lose, he gets punished.

And the Rockets will argue that they amnestied Scola to make cap room for Howard and let Dragic walk to replace him with Lin.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Or have the currently lottery system, but with all non-playoff teams having equal odds at getting on of the top three picks, then have it slotted by reverse record for picks 4-14.

14. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

As a Rockets fan (14th pick every year), I think this plan is absolutely marvelous...

Seriously that actually is one of the best solutions I've heard in a while to our lottery tanking mess.

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

1998 Spurs.

16. ClKent

ClKent Member

It's not allowed as far as I know. There is really nothing the Rockets can do about it. There always has to be last place teams. The idea of sports is to have a bunch of losers then one ultimate winner. Let's get the losing out of the way quick so we will not be stuck on average for decades.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What are we talkin bout? Badminton? Badminton?

18. McGradyPwns

McGradyPwns Member

I'm not sure if you're alluding to homosexual tenancies or was not able to express your thoughts coherently but I have no idea what you are saying.

19. McGradyPwns

McGradyPwns Member

Actually, I have an idea of what you are trying to say but using words like "stretching it" and "penetrating the hole" really threw me off there :eek:.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If you don't want tanking:

Auto-slot the worst teams of each conference into picks 5 and 4.
    Run a weighted lottery of all other 28 teams for top pick
    Run a weighted lottery of all other non-playoff teams (11 or 12) for picks 2 and 3

Take away the incentives for tanking.

The other thing i'd do is run a massive "play in" double round to start the playoffs, excluding the worst team in each conference. No more being out of it in March. Every team can hav some level of hope for a cinderella run, and extra game revenue will keep owners out of tear down mode.