1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Insider]Chad Ford - "I think the Rockets' draft was one of the worst of the night"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The illustrious Chad Ford (of everybody's favorite ESPN insider) has given grades to all of the teams for their drafts. Here is what he has to say about our Rockets and their draft:

Houston Rockets Grade: D+
    Round 1: Aaron Brooks (26)

Round 2: Carl Landry (31), Brad Newley (54)

Analysis: New Houston GM Daryl Morey may be the resident Rocket scientist, but I don't get this draft.

Brooks is an undersized point guard who's really more of a 2 guard in the Earl Boykins mode.

Landry is tough and physical, which fits a need in Houston, but I don't think he's as good as Glen Davis, who was available.

Newley has talent, but does he really want to be a role player for the Rockets? If not, he can just stay in Australia and be a star.

Morey's smart and he may make me look very stupid in a few years for saying this, but I think the Rockets' draft was one of the worst of the night.

Agree completely; however, if this draft is able to let us deal garbage like Alston for a decent 4, then I think Mr. Ford may have to eat his words.

Here is the link for those that have access to insider:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...had&page=draftgrades&univLogin02=stateChanged

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Someone posted this Chad Ford article earlier in the stickied draft thread.

Re: Newley. The salary cap for the Aussie league is around 690k in US dollars split unequally between a roster of 10 players. The NBA minimum salary for a rookie is around 420k.

3. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

This is really interesting, but I have aboslutely no idea what Newley does, what position he plays, what attributes he's best at.

EDIT: just looked him up and he's a 6-6 shooting guard. Why another guard? But I really doubt he will ever make the NBA.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The 54th pick is irrelevant. We picked it up for cash. So at worst, Les lost a few bucks.

The other picks, who knows.

We didn't get Fernandez so we reached for a small, SG with no PG skills.. that's troublesome and goes against the best player available philosophy.

Let's see what happens at the the summer camps.

5. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

carl landry is a jvg player. i dont see him cutting and dashing :/

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

wasn't there any pf's better than chuck hayes available at #26?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Unless there are trades coming up on the Rockets Roster, I agree with Chad Ford....7 PGs?

Sheesh !

DD

8. JamesC

JamesC Member

My friend just told me Marcus Camby is at Toyota Center. He dosent know if a deal is in the works, but we both agree they need to do something.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

landry finds weak spots in the defense. he's a smart player.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hopefully Morey will prove me wrong but I couldn't agree more with Ford on this. Every single one of our picks (except for Newley) was a head scratcher.

For Morey to add a PG like Brooks (short and more of a combo guard) baffles me because of the log-jam we already have a PG. But to pass on McRoberts, Big Baby, and Fazekas for Carl Landry was just plain dumb IMHO. From a talent standpoint, it seems like we completely blew it.

Hopefully I'm wrong but it really sucks to look at what could have been a very very good draft...

#26- Tucker or Affalo
    #31- McRoberts or Big Baby

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That would be :eek:. But are we even allowed to talk to him? :confused:

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Camby would be great but I would worry about his health. Dude is a pretty fragile individual, health-wise.

13. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

wow...keep us posted

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I assume he is counting Sura as one of those 7. I also assume he is counting Head as one of the 7. So now we're down to 5. Lucas is certainly not an essential piece to the team, so now it's 4. That leaves James, Alston, V-Span and Brooks. James is a combo and in an ideal world so is V-Span. That leaves only 2 players whose primary (only) position is PG. Much ado about nothing.

15. BBall Scientist

He's an absolutely lights out 3 point shooter. This guy is spreading the floor at SG like JJ Redick, but he's 6-6 and probably more athletic.

16. pumbum

pumbum Member

man you never know right off the bat. these guys could be integral parts of our championship contending team in the next 2-3 years. probably unlikely, but who knows....

there has got to be a trade in the works right now .... chuck hayes and chuck hayes with offense does Not cover our 4 for us. i'd starting chunkin' deuces to rafer and luther right about now.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly what i was going to post. i'm still stunned.

morey better have a hell of a trade in the works.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Morey was on 610 this morning and said that he has some big deals in place come July 1. He did say that they are targeting some guys that are far fetched and have some smaller name guys as well.

But Morey better have plans to bring in a solid PF because even though its early, the glaring hole at PF seems like its getting bigger and bigger.

19. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

kind've like when he said we are targeting the BPA...
    I guess we can expect a sign and trade for mark madsen? :p

20. axaznshortyxa

axaznshortyxa Member

Yeah, he's been in Houston for a while now. My friend saw him at the Galleria not too long ago.