1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inexperience against NBA champs - I don't think we choked.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bballfanatic, Dec 15, 1999.

Tags:
  1. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

Sorry. I may be blind. The Spurs were in trouble, pressed a little, stepped up the D to me, and that made the difference. Our young team is not used to these pressure situations. This was almost like a playoff game atmosphere!

Suddenly, what was working earlier, the guards driving and dishing out, wasn't working. The Spurs adjusted and won like the champions they are.

Way to go Rockets. I am very proud of the team I saw tonight. We actually controlled most of this game.

GO ROCKETS! Keep it up. Looking good.

2. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I particularly liked one of Calvin's qoutes during the game.

"They(the Spurs) didn't win the championship on accident."

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on, the Spurs did nothing to hinder the Rockets free throws. We lost this game because we do not have any idea of how to win. Our players just don't understand right now.

I don't see any improvement in basketball IQ. They are making the same mistakes now that they did at the beginning. It is going to take a LONG time to get this team over the hump.

DaDakota

4. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

Free throws are a problem. And shouldn't be. Yeah, that hurt!

Come on Rockets, please practice the free throws. I can make them. My 13 year old nephew can make them. PLEASE.

5. alaskansnowman

I don't think it was the spurs playing good defense. Sure they stepped it up, but the rockets still had plenty of chances.

First of all, Mobley missed that short jumper that would have brought the game within 1.

THEN, after a miss by Avery Johnson, the Rockets bumbled the rebound! 3 Rockets standing around couldn't handle the damn rebound!

Add to that the missed free throws, and you got yourself another loss that should have been a win

6. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Yes. We didn't choke when it was against the Champ.

But again, can somebody make the free throws? 53% really sucks!!! [​IMG] FT has been a big factor why the Rockets lost games. If their % had been around 75%, they would have had a winning record.

That's one thing the coach can't do. The players have to be held responsible for the FT%, IMO.

7. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

... and now no one can blame the low FT% on Barkley's shoulder.

NO MORE!!!

8. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

I do have to admit that some of the turnovers in the 4th were not forced. Stevie Francis is partly right saying we gave the game away. The back court violation, the missed rebound mentioned previously, the palming (was that in the 4th?).

POISE IN THE 4TH QUARTER separates the champs from the rest. Remember when the Rockets were the ones to win against the Jazz and Suns in the last minutes - we were champions.

I still say it wasn't a choke though. Experience in these situations hopefully will eventually turn into wins, especially when we outplayed them. San Antonio is probably thanking their lucky stars.

I found the game encouraging if somewhat disappointing in outcome.

9. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

surfguy,His head will implode with fans like who cannot see improvement from a very young and talented team. They would have won last night( or any game in the last week) if any one of 3 things happened:

1. make your free throws

2.better shot selection in the 4th quarter

3. If Hakeem had been playing , we would have that game easily.

I think we will be good team when Hakeem returns and that will make us a better team

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's like Rudy says, moral victories don't mean squat after a while if you can't get the tangibles(or wins). Fans have nothing to do with it. Your first 2 points are a re-occurring nightmare and everyone knows it. Your last point is wishful thinking. I still say the Spurs are slumping and were having an off night. But, some how, we still couldn't pull it off. We were playing like scared little girls in the 4th quarter. Nothing you say will change what I saw out there. We may have played better but the Spurs helped us out a lot. Notice how all any decent team has to do is clamp down on the Rockets in the 4th and we succumb to the inevitable...like clockwork. But, it is to be expected...after all, the excuses are there. But Rudy and the players don't care about excuses. It's like Francis says...we gave it to them. And he couldn't be more right. Merry X-mas, Spurs.

Surfguy

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Choking is part of getting the experience necessary to NOT choke.

Remember "Choke City" It led to the first of 2 Championships.

DaDakota

[This message has been edited by DaDakota (edited December 16, 1999).]

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The Spurs choked almost the entire game. I don't believe the Rockets played as well as the Spurs just sucked for 3 and a 1/2 periods. Then, the Rockets choked and the Spurs got some clutch plays. The Spurs didn't play like NBA champs and, in case you'll forget, the Spurs have been slumping lately bigtime. We can't even beat a slumping team. Yeah, I know....we're young, wait till next season, etc. . I don't think Rudy can wait that long...his head will implode.

Surfguy