1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[IndieGoGo] Super Troopers 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Mar 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

2nd one will probably be a letdown but I'd be willing to check it out. Always like Super Troopers and Beerfest....

2. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

I don't like that they crowd-sourced this.

I thought the point of crowd sourcing was for the little guys. It's so someone like me with a great idea could make a movie. It's for the those projects that can't get funding.

It's a shame to see millionaires like Jay Chandrasekhar ($8M net worth) and Zack Braff ($22M net worth) hijack this business. It's free cash for creators and the movie can be an absolute flop, they'll still walk out richer. In fact if they didn't hit their $2M goal, I believe they would still pocket what they did fund raise.

Now you'll likely see more big names come in and ask fans to take on the risk of financing a film. And from a business perspective it makes complete sense - free money.

3. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I wonder how much the first Super Troopers cost to make?

Regardless it made its goal in one day. Maybe it will be released online for free? Who knows.

Just hope its not a flop like Anchorman 2.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I hear this argument alot. You will never convince me they have done anything wrong by simply making fans an offer.

In correct. They get no funds unless the goal is met (at least that's kickstarter's policy).

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I'll probably check this out on blu-ray/dvd -- the first movie i absolutely loved but I felt they really couldnt recapture the magic with their follow up movies. I am just not a huge fan of sequels coming out like 10+ years after the original

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They aren't the first ones to do this. The people behind Veronica Mars the movie did the same thing. As far as I know, this Super Troopers movie idea is the only other major player crowd funded movie to do this, so I don't think you are going to suddenly have this rash of rich movie stars asking fans to crowd fund movies. It will likely be limited to just people that struggle to get funding from the major studios but are trying to make a movie that they know has a strong cult following. In those cases, I see no problem with it.

Now if studios start doing these kinds of campaigns, having their movie stars pretend to be stumping for funds that just don't exist, entirely for the purpose of making a movie for slightly cheaper than they would have otherwise, then I'll have a problem with it. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member