1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Indiana...We stab at thee.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dreamshake, Jun 20, 2000.

1. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Ok, Im not huge on conspiracy theories, but late in the 4th. I believe 2 mins or so, the Pacers (I believe at least) are down by 2 and Dale Davis just makes a wonderful block on Glenn Rice.

As he comes down with the ball, the refs called a lose ball fould on him, sending sure money Rice to the line.

Ok, I can actually understand missing a call, or someone flopping to make it believable. I dont think refs are error proof, but the fact that Glenn Rice and Dale Davis were not even maybe 1 foot from each other when the whistle blew, had me outraged. As an NBA fan. Firstly they werent even close to each other. Secondly, It wasnt the type of call to make in that situation anyhow. Not with a championship pending.

All I have to say is, it was a disgrace. Worse than the Rams-Bucs call in the NFC championship game.

To me it single handedly turned the flow of the game. Instead of going for the tie, they are down 4. Not based on actual playing, but on something that wasnt even close to a foul.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Dreamshake -- I couldn't agree more. Sick, sick call ... a total shame the game hinged on that call -- seemed the Pacers had built momentum and that killed it.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

You know what?

Not just this game. Not just this sport.

I don't believe in conspiracies. You all know that. But what I do believe is that officials always want to have their damn name in the article. They have to be in charge of the outcome.

Last year, baseball umpires thought they were God. Thank goodness they broke up their union.

Before instant replays, football refs made horrendous calls in almost every game and many led to change in momentum. And the NFL is a game of momentum like no other.

And in basketball, the same damn refs make the same damn bad calls over and over and over. They don't suspend these jerks for some reason. Or at the very least, give them glasses so that they can improve their vision.

Now, if you want to say that they are only following their scripts, thats a whole other enchilada! [​IMG]

Speaking of enchilada, gonna head for the border for a late snack! Later!

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

The Indiana Pacers didn't win the NBA championship. Nope, nor did the Los Angelos Lakers.

NBA on NBC, your 2000 NBA Champions.

oh boy...it's gonna get real ugly next year.

5. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

There is no conspiracy or hidden agenda favouring the glamourous large market teams, nor are the refs 'influenced' by external factors. It is just flat-out poor judgement and unpredicatable calls on the part of the refs. Not only are the refs making questionable calls, but it seems they are not on the same page as the league, (palming, obstruction fouls) and this results in the inconsistent calls.

Basketball is one of the few major sports where the refs can absolutely control the flow and the alter the outcome. Something must be done to fix this situation, before it blows up in the NBA's face.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    True champions do not take their failures to heart and never let success go to their heads.

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Just wanted to correct a common misconception. The call was not on Davis, who made a sweet block, but on Crochere. Rice was at least in contact with Crochere, though in my mind it was incidental at best and should not have been called. Anyway, that fact moves the call from "simply stupid" and objectively wrong to just poor judgment on the ref's part.

But the Pacers had a number of other opportunities to win. Anyone see that crazy shot Reggie took with 36 seconds or so left, down by 3?

------------------

7. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Are we talking about the same shot? Croshere was no where near Glenn as the whistle blew. The only Pacer near (and thats putting it relatively) was Davis.

Either way...As I looked at the up close replay, to me Glenn got burgered, fell down trying to recoop, and Dale got whistled. I didnt even see Croshere in the replay. If it was blown on Croshere, it was an even more pathetic call.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

damn, Cat hasn't responded to this conspiracy topic yet?

------------------
    MANGO - Get in my BELLAY!