1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In their prime what musical band would you have love to seen perform?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by joeson332, Sep 21, 2017.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

These guys for sure, or the Beatles. Toss up I guess.

Rashmon and B-Bob like this.
  2. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Dude I know folks that saw the Pumpinks @ emo's! I was also @ the infamous shoe show for them. Epic...

jo mama likes this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

haha! that was like 93? i was there too. what venue was that? i cant remember. that was actually my friends shoe. i think it was a vans low-top - he lost it crowd-surfing and someone chunked it right at billys pumpkin-head.

EDIT: it was at rockefellers.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Was the most amazing thing, during a solo..I saw the shoe in strobe light slow motion hit Billy right in the mouth. He paused for a sec...then kept playing. When the song was over I was watching close for the reaction...iirc it took about 3 or 4 minutes of very tense silence before they went off on the crowd. Saying if anyone threw anything else the show would be over, someone did and it was!

jo mama and B-Bob like this.
  5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Not so humble-brag: I saw Metallica at Cardi's on Westheimer.........after seeing (if memory serves) W.A.S.P. open for Iron Maiden at Lakewood Church. All the same night.

Colt45 and Torn n Frayed like this.
  6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I saw Megadeth there too in '87. Insane show..

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I would have loved to have seen Ozzy during the (too short) Randy Rhodes era.

Rudy Sarzo on bass, Tommy Aldridge on drums and Randy on guitar? All in their prime? Best hard rock rhythm section ever assembled? Perhaps.

You can just see the pure unadulterated JOY of playing while watching Ozzy and Randy in this video. That's what it's all about.

#128 ima_drummer2k, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Ozzie pissed on The Alamo. Since then, he’s been dead to me.

10. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Was at BOTH these shows as well! And I saw U2 the night before at the Summit.

11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

My girlfriend was pissed that I didn’t get tickets to that U2 show.

12. Buck Turgidson

'91, iirc, Primus opened up for Anthrax and Public Enemy at the International Ballroom. That was fun.

fallenphoenix likes this.
  13. ABforPresident

The Who & Rolling Stones

jcf likes this.
  14. jo mama

i was at that one too - the unicorn, right?

a few months before (or after) that show primus opened up for fishbone, also at the unicorn - and the next night was the RHCP, pearl jam and smashing pumpkins. i could only afford one and i went to fishbone/primus...no regrets.

my band shared a bill with angelo moore at sxsw a few years ago and i got to talk with him. really nice guy. he let me go fanboy on him for a bit and then gave me a hug.

15. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Who, The Kinks, The Doors, Black Sabbath, KISS, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Husker Du, REM

I saw The Police in '83, Van Halen in '84, ZZ Top in '86, and almost every metal band in their "prime". I would have liked to seen all of these in their formative years.

And I've seen Rush on every Tour since "Permanent Waves" (except "Vapor Trails") which would include their prime, but I wish I could have seen everything from the beginning.

16. Buck Turgidson

You may be right about the venue, it's been so long that in my mind the Vatican, Intl Ballroom and Unicorn are all jumbled together.

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I-Ball was off of 90-South Main. Vatican was on Washington Ave across from Benji's, same side of street as Wabash. Unicorn is where I loose my memory of it, possibly off of 59N..?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. jo mama

59 and tidwell. close to the old skatepark of houston. saw a lot of great shows there.

aside from the above mentioned also remember seeing the beastie boys on the last day of school in 1992. sonic youth with pavement and painteens in 1992.

janes addiction played there in 1990 - it was on a school night so i missed it.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Have you been keeping up with Fishbone? For the longest time, it was just Angelo and John carrying on with a bunch of other musicians. Then Dirty Walt and Fish Fisher came back. And in the last week or so, Chris Dowd is back too. So that means 5 out of 6 original members are back and touring. I guess Kendall Jones is still in that weird cult or whatever. But he's joined them on stage a few times, so who knows.

Can't believe Chris Dowd is back. He was/is my favorite vocalist in the band. Definitely hoping for a Houston stop on this tour.

#139 ima_drummer2k, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Nook and jo mama like this.
  20. jo mama

i did not know all that. thought it was down to just two. did you ever see the fishbone documentary? definitely worth watching if you were a fan.

i met him 3 or 4 sxsw's ago - he had a band called angelo moore and the brand new step. he was singing, playing bari sax and theremin. my friend joined him onstage for a theremin duel, which i had never seen before. cool, but it was more straight ahead funk compared to fishbone and their everything and the kitchen sink approach.