1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In the absence of news, I'm throwing out a theory...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Mar 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Career QBrating: 97.1

2. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I have been wondering the same thing. If Romo is on the fence between Houston and Denver, I'm hoping spite may give us just the edge we need.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There are two things people need to keep in mind when they discuss Romo's health:

1) the first is one of those things that's so obvious, it actually flies under everybody's radar: Tony Romo is healthy. He was cleared to begin practicing in early November. That was five months ago. This is not a Peyton Manning situation where his availability is tied to uncertainty with his health. If the season started tomorrow, he would be the Texans' starting QB. (I know... he's NOT a Texan so it's technically not true - but you get my drift...) And that leads to...

2) the vast majority of injuries are random occurrences; there's no way to predict them - except that, generally, they're less likely if a person is healthy, which Tony Romo totally is! That's not to say there isn't a legitimate reason to be worried about Romo - he does have a recurring injury (he's broken his collarbone twice, the second time because it had been weakened the first time). But that collarbone will have had nearly two years to heal by the time he next takes he field; medical practitioners can comment on what, if any, impact that might have because I sure-as-heck don't know but it seems like that's likely a good thing.

If the Texans steer clear of Romo because he *might* get hurt, I'll be severely pissed off. If they think his skills have diminished, or he's not a good fit for BOB's offense, or he's not very bright.... fine. But this idea that, "Well he's been injured before, he'll be injured again............." is such a non-starter for me.

4. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I was concerned about this. I liked the Brock trade but I always wondered why they just didn't agree on principle to the trade (like NBA teams do), then announce it AFTER romo got released (you can even let Cleveland know it is contingent on getting to a deal with romo if you want. Then you sign up romo after. By pulling off the trade, you tip to Jones that you can now sign romo with cap space or could be leveraged for assets.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  5. liveguy

liveguy Member

Texans need to stop being and take the bull by the horns and lead it the way they want it to go...

Waiting on Dallas is pointless...you have NO leverage.

Go after Culter....draft a QB in rd 2 or 3, and let Romo go to Denver, get hurt and be out his usual 6-8 weeks.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Someone needs to come up with a name for this progression:

-Romo sucks!
    -LOL Brokeback cowboy
    -Romo is better than Brock
    -We want Romo
    -Romo is the savior
    -Romo is overrated
    -LOL Brokeback cowboy
    -Romo sucks
    -Hello Jay!

justtxyank likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

By moving on from the guy they (reportedly) want in order to sign an inferior player?... Beyond that, it's March - why do they have to make an urgent decision on a position this important? What does that gain them (other than an inferior player)? They won't play a football game for another five months...

8. liveguy

liveguy Member

At this point Romo and Cutler are the same dude to me, to be honest.

Cutler has slightly better arm, and is like .0000000099% less fragile....

If Cutler played for the Cowboys and was on prime-time TV a lot and also over-hyped as much as Romo had been, you'd say Romo was the inferior one.

Not much difference to me between the two except that Romo is less of a turd, I guess.

Anyway, he (Cutler) is available AND he's better than any QB the team has ever had....regardless of whether people think he's "inferior" to Romo or not.

He's an upgrade...and more than likely a *slightly* younger, cheaper upgrade at that.

He aint the savior...not sayin' that AT ALL....but that passive "wait out Jerry" jazz is lame to me.

Let him play those puppet-master games with some other team...

macho GRANDE likes this.
  9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a lottery ticket for a team whose window is now. There is no JJ Watt in 2019 ... no Cushing ... no JJo ... no Lechler ... no D.Brown. Must go for win now.

marks0223 likes this.
  10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The more I'm thinking about it, the less Albright's story makes sense. Why the hell would Jerry be that worked up over Romo coming to Houston? First of all, he had to know it was always a possibility that he would come here. There had been plenty of smoke suggesting we would be interested. Second, is he seriously worried about the Texans stealing away market share because their 37 year old QB is going to end his career here?? Not a single Cowboy fan I know would switch allegiances just because Tony Romo is on the Texans now. They might root for him, and even root for an all-Texas Super Bowl, but they would never choose Romo and the Texans over the Cowboys. Third, at this point, because of his underhanded behavior, he might have done the very thing he was trying to prevent: drive Tony Romo into the arms of Bob McNair. If you're Romo, and your supposed friend ****s you over by essentially holding you hostage, wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to stick it to him if/when you got the opportunity?? This almost feels like a father forbidding his daughter to go out with some guy, and the daughter dating him on the DL only because she knows it would piss her dad off. I just don't understand how any of that makes sense......one thing I do know though is that Romo can't be happy with Jerrah right now.

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Youre forgetting about the kids. They dont always grow up and cheer for the teams their dad cheers for. Takes time to mold their fragile minds. Theyre more susceptible to success than older die hards. Few more years and the Texans will have their own team store inside River Center Mall

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It's known as desperation...

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, at least that move is logical, desperation is the people who are trying to sell Jay F'n Cutler as an option or who think that some random rookie in a god-awful draft class is going to be the savior.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's desperation, but it's also a move that makes complete sense. We have an elite defense and playmakers on offense.

15. Hey Now!

True; I always base my opinions on someone's national TV exposure......

Romo completes a higher percentage of passes (66-62); has thrown more touchdowns (248-208) on 156 fewer attempts; fewer interceptions (2.7%-3.3%); owns a better YPA (7.9-7.2) as well as a better QB rating (97.1-85.7). There is literally no statistical measurement in which Culter outperforms Romo with the exception of health.

Tony Romo is, arguably, one of the more underrated QBs of the past 15-20 years - there is a large group of people who never seem to give him his due, whether it's because he's not Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach; his postseason shortcomings (which are usually overblown); or just a general anti-Cowboy reaction... But he's been a great NFL QB.

Richie_Rich and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  16. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Im not so sure the clock is striking midnight on Dak and him loosing his glass cleats--being a Houston transplant in Fort Worth since 06, I hope you are right! The Cow's resurgence has been a veritable orgy of backslapping in the local media and fandom over how much better the league is with a competitive Dallas team in the NFL. The big talk is who will nominate Jurrah for the ring of honor and when.

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

The funny thing is... I would still take Cutler's numbers. I'm not saying pick Cutler over Romo, I'm saying we need one of them at least.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, and we said last year that we'd take Osweiler's numbers in Denver.....doesn't always work like that.

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Same could be said of Romo, too. Again, I know Romo is better, I want him first.. But if he goes to another team, I think Cutler is best option.. And draft of course.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  20. liveguy

liveguy Member

Again....to me, they're the same dude.

They both throw picks at the wrong time, can scramble a bit and get the ball to the receiver....

Major difference is one is older and will be asking for a ton of money, the other *might* not be as expensive (though wont be cheap either), you lose no assets to acquire, and he can also get the football to his receivers just as well.

I mean, yes...Romo's numbers have been better overall, no doubt....but right now, today....rather than wait around and let someone else dictate how they (the Texans) move during the off-season, at least making an attempt at a competent QB wont hurt at all.

Cutler is an ABSOLUTE upgrade compared to the basura they've had at QB since inception.

If they sign Romo...cool.

If they sign Cutler...cool.

If they sit on their hands and lose out on both and go with Savage....NOT COOL.

I'd rather them not allow Jones to pull the strings, and while I hope he caves and releases Romo....you know the drill, deep down....

Romo will sign with Denver, anyway....but OH, wait....Cutler already signed with the Jets, and you missed on out both.

Just saying....they need to be proactive and NOT reactive.

macho GRANDE likes this.