1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Need of a Point Guard: New York Knicks Should Consider a Jeremy Lin Reunion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Linsanity, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Knicks are all about 2015 cap room now, and even more so if they lose Melo. The only "big mistake" they can make is to take add significant salary past this season unless that salary comes with an elite player.

An expiring contract like Lin makes little difference to their flexibility going forward so trading for him would not be a mistake.

However, NYK cannot offer HOU cap relief by taking on a contract without sending money back. So there is little NYK can offer for Lin that makes sense for both teams other than a Melo sign and trade that includes Lin (and Asik) as the necessary contract matching pieces.

2. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Lin would be a terrible fit in the triangle.

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

NYK hired phil jackson for a shot at lebron in a few years

book it

4. AXG

AXG Member

Melo for Lin and Asik? I guess, if that's what New York wants

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Hahahaha. Wow. You need to stop drinking

6. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

The media is working to present to the NY fans the Carmelo S&T for Lin + Asik + fillers
    It's not a bad trade for NY, better than loosing Carmelo for nothing.

NY keep the 2015 flexibility and maybe they get 2015 first + Dmo or Tjones
    Asik can be his future C and they can sent Chandler 20 million contract to Dallas.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Phil is a great coach....but talent evaluator and GM? That remains to be seen.

I think a Asik+Lin SnT for Melo works out like others are saying, it will only work if Melo insists on coming to houston.

But if New York is smart they'll just bottom out if they lose Melo and go for a good draft pick because that team is a mess.

8. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

Jeremy Lin is equivalent to having a Goran Dragic or Kyle Lowry.. he just needs to be in the right system. I think the Knicks would have a steal if they could get toxic old marshMelo for Asik, Lin, and Parsons. The Knicks would bring in new players, Parsons would be the new Melo, Asik and Chandler twin towers with Lin playmaking in a weak East.
    Meanwhile Rockets will be #1 in scoring and #1 in points given lol.

9. solodolo

solodolo Member

Parsons the new melo ....

[​IMG]

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don't see Lin ever getting an MVP vote or making an all NBA team during his career.

So no, he's not the equivalent of Dragic

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

That's because he is playing for the Rockets who like to misuse him. Send him to a team with the right system and he will be GOAT.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Wow... the delusions about Lin...

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

I know this is bleacher report and, as of now, there probably no reports of interest on either side. But I actually think a S&T could make a lot of sense for both sides- if Carmelo let NYK know that he would be opting out and signing elsewhere anyway.

If the Knicks traded for Asik, Lin, some draft picks and possibly D-Mo that would be a decent trade for them if they would have been losing Melo anyway.

They need draft picks. They have so few that it will be incredibly difficult for them to rebuild. Anything they got would help.

Asik and Lin would be helpful for them. After one season, they would expire at the same time that Stoudemire, Chandler and Bargnani expire. This would, finally, get them out of cap hell while providing at least some draft considerations.

At the same time, if Carmelo leaves next season, the Knicks would be bad. Lin would give them a player that their fans would be excited about and the media would want to cover. Asik would be a more reliable, less injured, rim defender than Chandler is.

Depending on how Asik and Lin performed, they could then decide if they wanted to extend their contract at a cheaper rate or not.

I'm sure they would also want to try to dump Felton on us as well. That would complicate the money for us.

I might be compared to a homer for suggesting this trade, but I promise I'm not here. I'm actually not a fan of Carmelo on our team- I don't like the fit, the lack of defense, or the lack of shots to go around.

But I do think, from NYK's point of view, that if Carmelo was going to walk anyway, that could be a pretty good trade for them.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

The delusion is strong with this one

15. thisiscaketown

If Lin was a consistent 3-point threat, Jackson would definitely consider him, but then again, if he was, the Rockets would keep him.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Phil was basically responsible for showing the NBA that traditional "point guards" aren't necessary to win big. In fact he doesn't want them. His offense requires very little of point guards and he prefers ones with size who simply play defense and spot up on offense. See Pete Myers, Ron Harper. No way he's paying an absurd amount of money for a Lin-type player.

17. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

16th most among guards with 159 minutes??!?! what kind of stat is that?Among guards who averaged 2 minutes a game for the season?

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, Lof thinks Phil Jackson is stupid

19. photojoe

photojoe Member

Phil Jackson isn't stupid, but right now he is stuck in a terrible situation.

Jeremy Lin is better than Raymond Felton and his contract allows the Knicks to dump even more salary in 2015. Felton is signed for an additional year which would affect their long term plans.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

And how is that attractive for the rockets, you know, the team that we are all here supposedly to support? Phil Jackson could also say netting Lebron would help as well, lets see that happen sometime soon. No matter how you slice it if Lin were to go to NY one team would have to take the shaft (either keeping a bad contract or eating the others bad contract)

1 person likes this.