1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

In Adidas we trust

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Jun 26, 2012.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

It sounds a bit strange, but Adidas can play on our side when Morey would talk about long-term deal with Howard if he get him here

Adidas is trying to do whatever it takes to challenge Nike on basketball market. That's why they signed that unbelievable contract with Derrick Rose. They were trying to use him as a face of their basketball "direction", if you want, but right now, when he's injured badly and nobody can say how good he will be when he'll return on the court, Dwight becomes their number 1 option for sure

Houston is not a big market team, but despite that we have something that you can call "Chinese connection", connection with biggest market in the world. Thank You, Big Fella.

T-Mac and his team used it to become one of the most popular players in Asia and Adidas selled a lof of his T-Mac stuff in China because of that.
    Rockets are still a big part of it. This franchise means a lot for those guys and for their market

Rockets FO will definitely use their relations to build a strong marketing programm, trying to promote Dwight's acquisition in China. Adidas is going to be a big part of it. And if they - both sides, I mean - are going to use this "connection" on a high note (and I'm sure they will, they are a true pro's), Dwight has a legit chance to become the most popular player in China because of Rockets status

Adidas management is going to see the numbers in reports and they will use them as a leverage for Dwight's future decision, they are going to force him to stay long-term in Houston because of that cash. If he is going to leave, he would ruin not just his legacy but this connection with the biggest market of the World, too and he has no chance to get the same cash almost out of nowhere than in China

I may not be right on point in that theory, but I think that Adidas and whole that marketing part forced him and his team to sign that one year deal, because they didn't want to come here, cause they would have to make that choice. They would be limited from a day one in H-Town.

Rockets are unique franchise because of Yao's legacy. Houston is not that SLC type of city. There are white people, Afro-American, latin, Asians. Every race is the market, too, don't forget about it.

And if you are going to leave badly, you would destroy your programmes among all of them

Dwight's team doesn't want that villain role for him, I'm sure. And leaving Houston would give that role for him for sure, not just in basketball but in business part, too, IMO

So, in Adidas we trust?!!

1 person likes this.
  2. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

fixed, sorry

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think Adidas' own connection to China is in better shape than Houston's. Yao's fans are leaking out to other teams. Yao hardly comes around. The chinese are embracing other players, especially now that they go over there regularly.

4. AFS

AFS Member

They already love Dwight in China. He's made a couple of trips back there since the last Olympics.

5. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Rockets connection + Adidas connection and going to "double" that cash.

Brand alone is good (Elton, it's not about you). Two brands that are working alongside each other is a way better

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

This is getting out of hand.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did Katy Perry join the Rockets?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Don't the Rockets have "Peak" on both goal pads on the floor, not that it means anything...I'm just sayin...

9. sabesque

sabesque Member

Why do people keep saying we're not a big market team?

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Nike owns Adidas

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

They're 2 separate companies.

12. monster

monster Member

well I thought it was a lovely post.

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

pwns Adidas is more like it

14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I have no idea. People probably don't look up market sizes and go off of the media.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

All Day I Dream About School...:)

16. Handles

Handles Member

Seriously. We're definitely in the top 5 for market size.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Adidas isn't doing too shabby, 12 billion euro revenue.

18. dmcray95

dmcray95 Member

Has something to do with Houston is the 10th largest media market in the country in terms of viewers, advertising dollars... I think we are 10th. still pretty good.

19. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

Except that we're number 6 according to Arbitron. Making the Rockets #8.

And number 10 according to sportstvjobs.com putting us 12th team wise.

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Sixth largest radio market, tenth largest media market, but among the fastest growing in each. Won't go up in radio market, but tv market will go up. Overall, its at about sixth from.lists I've looked at. Fifth largest metro area at 6.1M people (just passed Philly).