1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Improvement Targets for next season.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fair Dinkum, May 7, 2013.

1. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Top 3 improvement targets for next season...

Asik
    FT=60% (+4), PTS=12 (+1.9), BLK=2 (+0.9)

Parsons
    FT=77% (+4.1), 3PT=40% (+1.5), REB=7 (+1.7)

Harden
    FG=46% (+2.2), 3PT=38% (+1.2), TO=2 (-1.8)

Lin
    3PT=37% (+3.1), TO=2 (-0.9), PTS=15 (+1.6)

Beverley
    FG=44% (+2.2), AST=4 (+1.1), PTS=8 (+2.4)

Team stats I would like to see improved are TO and 3PT% and BLKs.
    I would be really happy if the players can achieve these targets next year and maintain their other levels.

What targets do you guys think are achievable for our players next season?

2 people like this.
  2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Good numbers and very reachable goals.

Would also like to see T Jones (if he's around) get a solid 25 minutes a game putting up somewhere in the area of 7-10 points and 8 rebounds per game.

4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Yeah, definitely.

T-Jones per 36 is getting 13.6 pts and 8.5 reb.

His PER is 17.1, second highest on the team!

5. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Harden is already there this year ... if he doesn't try to initiate the offense too much. He is so much more effective off the catch. It's just his mind tricking him that he needs to hold the ball and iso, like the great 2 guards in history does.

But that's not his game. And not the Rockets game.

6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Harden is great but there's still room for improvement, particularly his 3.8 TO per game and FG%

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Lin averaged 15 pts on 37% 3pt shooting since the all star break. So I would like those numbers to go up to 16 and 40.

8. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Well, Lin only needs to make 1 more 3PT a game to ave 16pts which should be easy at 40% clip.

40% 3PT makes him an elite 3 point shooter in the league and I don't think that's possible for Lin who is a career 33% 3PT shooter.

If Howard comes or Asik improves his hands, and with the numbers you propose...

Lin 16pts / 8ast @ 45%/40% which are ALLSTAR numbers. I don't think he'll get there next season, maybe in the season after if he keeps improving.

We can only dream.

9. rokit

rokit Member

10. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Wow a reasonable thread +1

The only target I don't see being reached is cutting Harden's TOs in half. That's just not going to happen given McHale's tendency to place the ball in Harden's hands. Harden has never been a good passer as well (willing =/= good).

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

16 and 7 for Lin. I think 2 TO's is too optimistic. Maybe somewhere around 2.5 is more realistic.

Harden needs to increase his FG%, his 3 pt percentage and decrease his turnovers.

Asik needs to increase his FG percentage and points.

Parsons -increase points and assists, as well as rebounds.

12. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

13. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I meant Harden already averaged that FG% when he did not try to initiate the offense

14. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

You could be right Karolik. Harden's TO was 2.5 per 36min in his last season with OKC. If he can achieve that whilst being "the man" in Houston, it is a good number.

I also think Asik could really improve his FG% and points if he learns how to catch, and also finish on put backs. Imagine if he got some legs and could finish the lob passes harden throws him. I think Asik could very well be the player that shows the most improvement out of the squad this off-season.

Parsons needs lin to show him some of those wrap around drop off passes. He seems to be able to get in the lane at will. His assists should really improve with some skill work... and then we'll have 3 (Harden, Lin, Parsons) playmakers who can create shots. And yep, I agree, Parsons is 6'9" long arms and athletic, should be a good rebounder if he bulks up a little more.

15. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Oh pretty fair dinkum numbers I reckon.

16. Reach

Reach Member

Both Harden and Lin need to improve their decision making. Our backcourt must lead the league in perfectly executed passes -- to the other team.

17. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Harden shot an incredible FG=49.1% and 3PT=39% for OKC last season. If he can get to those numbers again with his increased volume as a starter for Houston... MVP.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

He can get those IF we can aquire another star to share the load on offense. Parsons improving should help some, but I still see him as the 3rd best player on a championship team. Harden also needs a decent backup.

19. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Harden's backup is only gonna get 10 min.
    That can be given to Lin and Beverley. They could have a 3 guard rotation with Beverley and Lin playing together to give Harden a rest. I think Beverley played SG the whole time he was in Europe.

20. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Agreed. Plus, whatever guys we bring back from Garcia and Delfino can play the two guard for stretches where Parsons, a PF, and Asik are also on the floor.

James Anderson is exactly what we need to back up Harden. A cheap salary that can play decent if we're in dire need or if the game is a blow out.