1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impressions after 2 Summer League Games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jogo, Jul 9, 2018.

1. jogo

jogo Member

What are people's thoughts after the first 2 games? I wanted to post in its own thread for ease of reading but it can be merged if needed.

Harty-Played well both games. Has some ability to dribble as he's taken his man off the dribble to the basket on more than one occasion. Some passing ability but a few bad passes in the first game. He's played some D on the perimeter and has done okay (Hou has asked Qi and even Onuaku to do this). If Nene or Black leave can he be the third center? I'm not sure, he's pretty young.

Qi-He was okay in the first game and really solid in the second game. The players he guarded appeared to become afraid to drive on him in the paint. That was nice to watch; he alters shots without getting blocks at times. Qi rotates pretty well on the perimeter. He still does not rebound well and makes dumb fouls. But if he shoots 36%-38% 3 pointers this year (a big IF) then he probably deserves some playing time in my opinion.

Onuaku-I still have hope for him though I may be the only one on CF. He played great in the 4th, though he owes a lot of that to some great passes by House. He cannot create his own offense, but his hands look okay if he has a good pg playing with him. Can he defend well enough to earn playing time? He can pass pretty well and can grab a rebound and pass out for the fast break.

Edwards-He played better in the second game then he did in the first. Doesn't have great stats but seems to know where to be on the court to make the little plays. We played him a lot at PF in the second game.

House-Looked good in the first game and pretty good in the second. Great passing to Onuaku. I just don't think he has it beyond G league.

Brown-Looked pretty good in the first game and bad in the second game. A g leaguer.

Gray-Hasn't played enough to really get a feel for him.

RJ-Shot great in the second game. Looked like a bad defender to me, though. He had his chance last year and I don't think we have another 2-way contract for him (and he may not deserve it).

Melton-Looked really solid in second game and a bit up and down in the first game. His defense in both games has been good, he's very active with steals and deflections. Knows how to play defense and where he needs to be to defend. Looks really good for someone who's been out of games for a year.

Duval-Not much good in the second game after looking great in the first game. I'm buying the hype and think we should find a way to keep him.

Clark-Still not playing him. Is he hurt? I really want to see him play but it seems like he's hurt or we're not interested in giving him any run yet.

Now for whining: The color commentators have been blah both games. I understand that they are supposed to hype up the other games but I really don't care who's playing later, I want to watch the Rockets! And I like Bamba-I went to UT! Interviewing the GMs is fine, but I don't have to see them talking. It shrinks the size of the game and it's hard to see who's doing what (and it's even worse when they show them talking and don't show the game at all). And sometimes the camera focuses on a bench player (e.g., Jordan Bell) sitting there doing nothing while the game is being played. AGGGHHH. The announcers slobber all over Bell and he gets a big steal. Then he misses an easy alley oop and turns it over to end the game. Wah.

I can't tell if I'm glad that we won by playing our G league team (plus Melton) or if I would have rather seen our other players get more time. Part of me thinks even a victory in the summer over GSW helps us get in their heads a bit. They are a weak team mentally and every victory helps. It is just a silly summer league game, but you can tell how much their bench was hooting and jumping up and down all game. F the Warriors. Beating them is sweet, even in the summer league.

Game 3-Expect the unexpected! Duval played great then poorly. Melton played eh and then great. It could be like that for all our players. Summer league is usually an up and down affair-there's not a lot of consistency from any one player (though Harty looked good in both games). I'd like to see Clark play and I want to see more of Edwards. I could see some of our roster that hasn't played at all playing long stretches for some of the next few games.

What are your impressions? What do you want to see in the upcoming games?

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

TL;DR: F the Warriors.

whiskeyred, Nimo, CK Johnson and 2 others like this.
  3. mountainsinger

Rockets win.Now it’s 4:4, G9 is coming.

xiki likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Melton hit one or two relevant shots and came up big in the clutch against the Worriers.

5. jayfree

jayfree Member

If we had Carmelo on this team, our summer league would have beaten the Warriors by 40

xiki likes this.
  6. kevtse

kevtse Member

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think we’re in their heads at all

justtxyank likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The summer league uniforms look better than our regular uniforms

whiskeyred and TexasRedd like this.
  9. j@amc

j@amc Member

Considering that was GS 4th game and our second, I think that shows how much digging we’ve done to put a team and talent together. For a Summer League squad, Morey has pulled together an interesting unit.

—Hunter can heat up as he did in the GS game, but he’s a volume shooter and a minus defender. Anyone over 6’ 8” has a decisive mismatch on the block because Hunter can’t bother their shot. But Hunter gives great effort every night out.

—House has always been a solid player since his TAMU days. He’s added range and his athleticism is okay for a bench player. He can cover the Luc Mba Moute’s of the league.

—-Hart and Qi. Good young bigs don’t grow on trees. They’ve both made huge steps forward. We have to consider them part of the future... In the GS game, many guards didn’t even attempt midrange and paint shots because Qi was sizing them up.

—Onuaku. He marches to his own drum. Great, active hands on D. He’s never going to contest many shots over the rim, but he’s got that Draymond Green timing on D, reaching in being disruptive (though a ton to learn still). He’s the Rockets only SL big who can finish through contact (and who among the bigs on the current Rockets can do that?). Clearly the most naturally gifted outlet passer in recent memory on our team, and if our wings actually knew how to cut to the basket, he’d have fewer TOs... You can actually tell when he’s in the game as he impacts the boards (when his motor is on, but he cruises too). Makes lots of immature, aspirational (home run) plays rather than simply playing with fundamentals... Last season was frustrating as I was ready to see him looking like this and growing (more fundamentals, less quirks) but Nanu took a few step backwards, was injured some, showed little drive... Is this his peak? I’ve gone back and forth on him for a while now. I think since he’s still so young that we can’t give up on him, but trade/prospect value is hanging in the balance.

—Duval. Wants the ball in his hands but plays out of control...not making his teammates better or running an offense.

—Melton. A total steal by Morey. Looks super comfortable as an off the ball guard.

xiki likes this.
  10. chonox

chonox Member

saleem likes this.
  11. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I agree with all of your assessments except for this one to some degree. I do think he is playing a little out of control, but at the same time he has made a good deal of passes in both games to open men who either bricked the shot or didn't catch the pass. He needs to work on his shot, finishing through contact, and staying in control. Considering he's only 19 years old, I think he's well worth taking a chance on. For reference, Holiday who lit us up in our first SL game, also fell down to earth in his second game, so I think it's a little early to judge.

I think we have to rate the guys who've been around for awhile and are 24 years old and up at a much higher standard because their potential is much lower. Under that lens, while Hunter's shooting was clutch, he was horrendous on defense and turned the ball over way too much. Markel Brown was playing selfish ball out there and if I were the SL coach I would go ahead and sit him for the rest of SL. Onuaku is the least talented of the big men and seems to have a negative play for every good. He also has no real ability to switch in our defense because of his slow feet.

saleem likes this.
  12. j@amc

j@amc Member

Fair enough. I’m not ready to pass on Duval. You’re right as he’s young.

You’re point about Onuaku’s feet points to an area where he should have shown growth. I think he’s got the ability to play lighter on his feet, but he hasn’t translated it yet. Between that and negative plays, his days (and NBA dream) might be numbered.

Omihall23 likes this.
  13. chinesemamba

chinesemamba Member

that 16 point come back from the warriors was amazinggg, too bad its just summer league.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'm sorry, I don't do impressions.

topfive and Deuce like this.
  15. lilnate525

lilnate525 Member

-Duval classic case of a young player. He turns it over and not great shooter, but I strongly disagree with the not making teammates better. He normally turns it over or makes great pass. Most of the time he turns it over he has the right idea. Can't make teammates make the shot. You can watch him and tell he has good feel for game. I still think he is a steal, and is better upside than both players we drafted. If he can get more constant with his shot, I think we at worse got a rotational player. 19 playing in summer league with a bunch of other guys wanted the same spot not ideal. It was two cases on breaks where he was trailer, but ball did not go to him shot was missed. Fast break the other way. Keep him put him in Dleague this year. Let him get more control of being PG. He gets to learn behind best pass first PG in league.
    -Melton is trying to get back in swing of things game one. Great on defense side, but looks like he was forcing a bit game 1.
    Not the biggest RJ fan but he can shoot. I had a brother that went to school with him, and played pick up games.

16. Fantasma Negro

Knee-jerk, House > Edwards

17. ball king23

ball king23 Member

Duval-Not much good in the second game after looking great in the first game. I'm buying the hype and think we should find a way to keep him.

agree with you on duval sign him to training camp good decision making a little turnover not back but good decision making and also good first step and finish good like the way he attacks and defends

18. T. Will tha Don

Completely inaccurate about Duval. Duval used the dribble drive to set up teammates. They dropped the passes or didnt finish the ball. This was shown even in his rebounding and fastbreak pass-aheads to Hartenstein and others who simply dropped the passes. Film is a great tool to watch in my opinion. Its unbiased and pure.

19. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

This thread is great for people who don't have the time to sift through many posts that are not specific to the OP's topic. If Clutch has limited server space because of the cost, maybe you should make a donation and not complain about solid a thread.