1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impossible basketball shot with baseball bat

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by joesr, Oct 31, 2009.

1. joesr

joesr Member

So whatcha guys think? A lottery pick for basketball or baseball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PINonlA60bU

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PINonlA60bU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PINonlA60bU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I actually tried that when I was about 6 or 7.

Big mistake on my part. I hit the Basketball and the bat came swinging back at me hitting me right in the face. Fun times.

3. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

Hmm it looks fake to me.. but that's just me.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

based on what? Have a reason if you think a vid is fake..

5. joesr

joesr Member

I dont know how to tell if this stuff is legit or not but around the 5-6 sec mark, it glitches. Is that a sign its been tampered with?

6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

i dont think its fake........they must have tried for days though..

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

In my opinion, if there were any indication that it were fake, it would be the speed with which the ball makes its descent. From so far away it seems like it would appear to move slower than that.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

now that you mention it, i think you're right. and i did notice the glitch that joesr mentioned, too

9. Convictedstupid

Its most likely fake.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I don't get this stuff all over YouTube (even if it's real).

Who cares? You do something enough times you're bound to get lucky. There's not much skill involved.

11. Landlord Landry

a lot of youtube videos are glitchy and grainy due their lossy FLV format, what you don't see is a glitch on the kid that falls down in disbelief.

I once drop-kicked a basketball cross-court and swished it, first try. pure luck, but these things happen.

12. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I think its real, but it probably took them 50 tries or more.

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Son of a mother duck! :cool:

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Since it's on a tripod that would be really easy to fake. They can cut the right part of the pictre where the basketball comes down out and have other parts of the video where is no basketball underneath it.

Then they just have to take a picture of a basketball in photoshop, cut it out of the background and keyframe motion in any editing program. You can't see any detail of the goal or the rim. The ball just travels down.

It would seriously take 15 minutes to do.

EDIT: It looks like the ball scales down as well as it moves. Something that isn't hard to do in a editing program.

1 person likes this.
  15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

That's definitely fake, he didn't hit the ball that hard and he didn't hit it in that direction.

16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

All these new trick shot fakes have one thing in that you don't see the entire trajectory of the ball in the same frame. You see the initial lauch upwards but the apex is out of frame and cleverly the ball reappears on its way down.

That is just clever camera work and editiing to make it look real.

17. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

The first thing I noticed was the big curve it took, looks kind of like a fake. But what do I know.

18. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

yep...

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Well, you can tell it's real because of the full-blown orgasm hooded sweatshirt has when it happens. Time to start talking to girls, or at least go online. (Did I mention I sucked at sports as a kid?) The technique is genuinely impressive, though. Enough power to get distance and enough control to keep the basketball from just bouncing off at a weird angle, especially if it's fully pumped.

20. halfling131

halfling131 Member

I couldn't find the news article just now but I remember reading about a kid who tried this and the bat hit him so hard he died a few days later oO.