1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IMO, they're only 2 players in the league that should be ball hogs, every1 else should fall into the

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Nov 29, 2014.

1. what

what Member

One is Lebron James. The other Kevin Durant.

The problem is that there are about 25 guys in the league that think they've earned the right to do this and that's why their teams aren't contenders.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So LeBron should give up one of his strengths, which is passing?

Durant is so efficient partly because he doesn't take dumb, ballhoggy shots.

3. what

what Member

Wow. No.

I am saying that Lebron and Durant have EARNED the right to take over games by saying to their teammates: give me the ball and get out of the way. I trust them to do it.

However, there are about 25 guys that THINK they have earned the right and the team would be better off if they actually played more within the team.

4. Mr. Clutch

I can only think of 5:

Kobe Bryant
    Russell Westbrook
    Rudy Gay
    Carmelo Anthony
    DeMarcus Cousins

5. Mr. Clutch

Related question:

If ballhogging is bad for the team, does ANY player truly earn the right to ballhog?

What if Hakeem took a bunch of bad shots in the Finals because he "earned" the right to do so?

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think Harden can ball hog with this lineup all he wants.... Hope the injured return soon..

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What about Rudy Gay, doe? I heard he is on Durant's level? :confused:

8. what

what Member

The game I watched, which was the Sacramento Kings game a few nights ago, it was very evident that the rockets announcers believed this to. Harden was like 1 for 13 in threes and drexler says the one thing you don't want him to do is STOP SHOOTING ........ really?

That game, it was very evident, that offensive execution, down the stretch, was being sacrificed so that Harden could make a shot from three. Lucky, the five or six times down the court that the rockets came up empty didn't cost them the game because the kings couldn't take advantage.'

Finally, Harden makes a 3 and he puts his hands in the air and the crowd goes wild. That was kinda funny to me, because I am just not used to seeing one player trying to get his mojo back like that.

The grizzlies are all about executing down the stretch by making the best basketball play, and it's never about 1 person like that.

9. Mr. Clutch

You need to watch more Rockets games if you think Harden was just trying to get his mojo back.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It depends on what you mean by "ballhog."

11. what

what Member

I mean not running an offense to find the best shot.

12. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

If I have Paul, Westbrook, Melo, or Harden on my team and they don't try to take over in the 4th I'm pretty pissed.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Likewise, I'm pissed if the Swaggy P's of the league try to take over in the 4th

14. what

what Member

Yeah and that's old school and it should be a dying philosophy in the future. The grizzlies and the spurs are playing that way now.

The raptors and the trailblazers are playing team basketball to a lesser extent. Many teams however are trying to find that one player.

I can't remember who said it but one highly rated coach in the league said that he LOVES when he knows a team is trying to force one player to get the ball because all he has to do is stop that one player.

With the spurs you can't figure it out and that's what makes them so dangerous.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Then no one should have earned that right. You ALWAYS run your offense to find the best shot. It is true that a lot of the time, the best shot should be taken by the "ballhog." But if the dude is not looking for the best shot for the TEAM, then he is bad for the team.

Just look at the Lakers. Nobody would deny the fact that Kobe is their best offensive option. But Kobe ballhogging as you define it is a detriment to the team.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I remember the Spurs closing out a finals game by ramming a slew of Duncan iso postups vs. Miami...and winning.

Everyone does it. Sometimes it is simply the best chance at avoiding a turnover or no shot attempt in a well defended 4th.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yes. He's our best offensive player by a country mile. If he has a good shot he HAS to take it. I would be very disappointed in Harden if he passed up looks he makes just to preserve a shooting %.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Kobe is their best offensive player, but he's not taking good shots or as many shots in the rythmn of whatever offense Scott says he's implementing.

As he's aged/slowed down, he is STILL taking those tough contested shots, when in reality getting more of say Ellington off pindowns every now and then would be better than a 36 year old who can't create space that well anymore fading away on the baseline.

To the above point, just cause Harden is 1-13 doesn't necessarily mean he's taking bad shots. if he's created and is open, he HAS to shoot it. your #1 option cannot get gunshy, cause you can still close games like he did in game 5 against Portland iirc

19. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

As bad as the Lakers are, and as good as Kobe used to be, I'm not sure Kobe is their best option this year.

That MAY be Lin or Boozer, kobe is shooting 38% and jacking 23 shots/game.

Kobe would be way better served as a defensive draw and kicking it. Lin and Boozer are both shooting ~49% mostly because they can actually get inside. All Kobe can do right now is shoot mid range jumpers.

20. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

Steph could pull from 40 every time down the court and I would think they were great possessions.

1 person likes this.