1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

immediate future vs. immediate future immediately.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Achebe, Jan 16, 2001.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Things are changing in the NBA.

There will never be another Kevin Garnett contract. Unproven players such as Bryant Reeves will never get contracts that balloon to $14 million.

Mo Taylor will never get the max.

The NBA will be a league of 3-5 million dollar contracts in a matter of years. That's not to say that players won't come around that deserve top dollar.

Take, for example, Chris Webber. Chris scores 26ppg, averages 12rpg... gets 2.5 bpg and is dishing out 3.6 assists per game. Chris is the definition of superstar. He is currently playing better than Kevin Garnett. He is a better player than Tim Duncan.

Chris Webber has the 'eye'. His competitive spirit would crush Cuttino. I haven't seen a player as determined as Webber in quite some time.

Chris Webber is a FA this summer. Few teams have a realistic chance at acquiring Webber. Essentially, it is either Houston or the Kings.

Much has been said about Webber going east. Detroit and Chicago will have cap space next year. Allan Houston will opt out of his contract. The Kings will not trade Webber for Rice (Peja is better). The Kings will not gamble w/ Hill's ankle. There's nowhere else in the east that Webber would want to play.

In the west, short of a Kobe trade, Webber's options are limited. Only the Houston Rockets will have an accomodating salary slot for one megastar. Dream is retiring. If Bullard is waived and Shandon opts out, picks can be moved to free up to $13 million in cap space. Webber is entitled to $11 million at his experience level.

'But the Rockets are young.'

But Steve Francis is mature. Steve has threatened triple doubles in 5 or 6 out of the last 7 games. If he scored three more ppg and the Rockets were winning, he'd be MVP material.

Steve Francis makes Jason Williams look really bad. There is no highlight video that Rick can put together to offset this. It is impossible. Steve Francis will be the best point guard in the NBA by the end of the season.

<u>The trade:</u>

We've all made much ado about Dream leaving. Everyone puts together ridiculously slanted trades under the guise 'the other team wants cap space'.

But what about the Rockets? Don't they do well w/ cap space too?

The Rockets face a world of risk in the next few weeks. Their largest tradeable commodity might not fill out retirement papers next year. Should they save the lifeline for later? What if there is no later?

Take an example raised in the chat room: do you risk a chance at Webber by encumbering your cap space now w/ long term contracts? I initially thought you should. I thought that (e.g.) Rahim, Reeves and OH would be worth it. Let Webber find his way elsewhere... who cares?

Those contracts were filled out before this CBA though. Why burden the Rockets' ability to move, for 3 years, w/ $26 million dollars of Rahim? This upcoming draft is stocked w/ 3s and 5s.

The Rockets will have picks this year. The Rockets will have cap space this year. There are no risks worth pursuing that might haunt the Rockets' capspace, or the Rockets' draft selection.

So relax. Hope that the Rockets want to relish in the cap space limelight. Hope that the Rockets have the wherewithal to appreciate the time it takes to rebuild. Hope that Dream leaves for expiring contracts.

------------------
    We're going to stay together until something happens, if something happens. - Sidney Lowe on Shareef's career in Vancouver.

2. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

What be the point in trading Dream for expiring contracts?

------------------
    It doesn't matter if I have a signature!

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Achebe,

Verrry interrresting. Have you been talking to Doc? Expiring contracts, hmmm. How many draft picks are we talking about here?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hottoddie (edited January 16, 2001).]

4. Achebe

If I tell you that I haven't spoken to anyone, does that make my thread die? [​IMG]

I mentioned 'expiring contracts' merely b/c there's a conflict here.

a) Dream isn't happy playing with the Rockets apparently.
    b) More importantly: the Rockets have to weigh trading Dream now vs. gambling over the summer that they will acquire anyone. There are only a few more weeks left before the trading deadline. Everything says that the Rockets should trade now. Or does it?

------------------
    We're going to stay together until something happens, if something happens. - Sidney Lowe on Shareef's career in Vancouver.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't see your post before clocking one up there which is a little similiar....Sorry,but,hey,I couldn't agree more..you raise some interesting points.Steve is progressing at astounding pace and I would love to have Webber.It is a critical time for us.We are on the verge of being back.

------------------

6. Hottoddie

7. Hottoddie

Actually, considering that there aren't but about 3 really good free agents out there for this upcoming year & they'll all probably cost alot, it would make more business sense to trade Dream for some promising young talent with long term contracts & draft picks that fill the needs we have. I & many others have speculated about acquiring Shareef, Garnett, & other super stars, but the best move would be to stay away from the super stars, because they will tie up your salary for years & limit your moves (ie Washington,Vancouver, Minnesota,Portland & others). We're only a player or two away from being a serious contender. A team like the Clippers are a perfect example. If they can resign their players long term when their contracts are up, they'll have all the pieces in place & will have established great chemistry by that time. The trade they made with Orlando will probably turn out to be a great one (except for the relinquishing of their #1 pick this year). It's my belief that we need to dump Walt/Cato/LOS & unfortunately Dream if we want to accelerate the youth movement. But, what do I know?

------------------

8. Band Geek Mobster

I totally agree with your post achebe. I think the Rockets are much more in need of a C then a SF.

With all of this trade talk about taking SAR and Reeves I thought I'd look at Big Country's numbers. I know some of you don't care about statistics but it's amazing how useless this dude is strictly going by the numbers. I don't really remember seeing him play in the NBA so MAYBE he does something that doesn't appear in the numbers such as intimidation factor (like Calvin and Bill say, Hakeem changes as many shots just through intimidation as he does through rejecting them).

I thought I would compare his numbers versus Mo's since I don't see how we could keep Mo if we take on the salaries of SAR and Country. Anyway Big Country only averages .2 blocks more per game and 1.7 more rebounds per game then that defensive juggernaut we've got in Mo. Plus he's averaged 2 more minutes than Mo for his career. HE'S FREAKING 7 FEET TALL AND HE CANT BLOCK OR REBOUND!!! So much for getting any sort of inside presence from the center position.

If we took on these salaries we'll improve our backcourt, but do we REALLY need to improve that? Is it worth giving up any sort of flexibility just to have SAR in the 3 spot instead of Shandon. Personally I love this lineup with Cat, Steve, and Shandon and I don't see that as our huge problem.

Our frontcourt is getting killed every game. We need to fix that first before we should even bother with acquiring a SF.

If we're gonna trade Dream I'd want them to trade him for an inside presence, like an Otis Thorpe or Kevin Willis type. That's all we need IMO. If we can't trade Dream for that then I say keep him till the end of the season and let him move on if thats what he wants to do.

Capspace would be there and we go after Webber. IMO I don't think we'll get Webber, but it wouldn't hurt to make a run for him.

Now people are afraid we'll turn into the Bulls and have a ton of capspace but no one willing to come to the Rockets. I don't think thats a fair comparison b/c what the hell does Chicago have? They have no one on their team except for Brand, plus free agents know if they signed for Chicago they'd be made out as the second coming of MJ.

In houston we've got a young, talented backcourt, a highly respected coach, nice tax situation, and a big city with a nice community. That's gonna attract someone decent even if it isn't Webber.

One last thing, whenever a player's been shopped around, what team always comes up as a candidate?

Chicago b/c they have capspace. Every year someone's unhappy with their team and they want out of their situation. I know a year ago I had no clue SAR would be on the trade block. A year from now a new guy could want out, and we could then use our capspace to pick him up.

Anyway I apologize if this post is long, I'm just annoyed with how horrible we looked against the Jazz and it's getting kind of late so I ramble when I'm tired.

BIG COUNTRY IS A 7 FT MO TAYLOR THAT CAN'T SCORE WITH A SALARY THAT WILL LOCK US UP FOR YEARS!

------------------
    "I am clearly more popular than Reagan. I am in my third term. Where's Reagan? Gone after two! Defeated by George Bush and Michael Dukakis no less."
    -Marion Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited January 16, 2001).]

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Cato to the Bulls. (Cato + Drew = Chicago's #1 pick THIS year).
    6 million off the books for next year.
    OR
    Mo and/or Los and/or Walt to Detroit for JYD. Detroit has a trade exception to take on up to an additional 4 million. We get their pick or JYD, whose contract expires after this year.
    OR
    I hate this one. Dream for Bradley, Laettner and maybe a pick. These guys are free agents after the season. Good-bye, fellers.
    Any one of these deals will clear you up some space next year.

------------------

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Acheche-
    I think you are right. However Webber will go where he can win and where he can make the most money.
    This being said C-Webb can probably see the way to win is Defense. Sac is finally playing D this year.
    With that being said why would anyone come to Houston know we don't play defense. Granted Francis is a good PG, and he may be the best, but Stevie hasn't shown yet that he can make a big man better. So in that regard he is unproven. Francis can break down defenses but he doesn't make the amazing passing of White Chocolate that created layups for Webber. Francis can breakl down defenses but be honest, not many defenders covering C-webb will leave him to help out on Francis.
    Also especially if Anderson is gone then who on our roster is even an average defensive player (yeah I know Francis is top 10 or 15 in steals but being aggresive in stealing the ball doesn't make someone a good defensive player). Mobley is horrible on D, none of our forwards are very good or they are too small (KT at PF) to make a difference. Cato does do an excellent job of covering the bench but tough to guard someone from the pine.
    So yeah we will have the money, but C-webb will want to win. And you win by defense. We don't play D.

------------------

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Alot of people talk about Chris Webber as being the big prize of this summers free agency and I agree. But there is one other big name that could potentially or conditionally be out there. I read over the summer that Rasheed Wallace has a clause in his contract that makes him an automatic free agent if the Blazers win the NBA championship. And the Blazers winning the championship is not that far fetched.

------------------

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not to mention Mark Jackson. Since he began starting he is averaging 18 and 10, and he is only a Rookie....albeit a 25 year old one.

I would rather have him.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from monkeys and apes, then why are there still monkeys and apes?

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Webber is not better than Duncan.

------------------
    "I have to say, I don't understand why these Rockets' fans are booing Scottie." -Calvin Murphy

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Since when were we comparing Webber to Duncan? That's like asking whether I'd prefer to sleep with Anna Kournakova or Sarah Michelle Geller. I wouldn't kick either one of them out of bed!

------------------
    "Thirty-seven?" -Randall, Clerks
    www.clutchtown.com

15. Thanos

Thanos Member

SamCassel, if you REALLY think that is even remotely alike, you need to get a life ASAP. [​IMG]

------------------
    "What´s up, Doc?"

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Webber is better than Duncan.

17. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

So who else is going to spend their summer glued online reading all of the CWebb speculation. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

18. Achebe

No bones about it. *yeccchhhhh*

Ohhh... mais oui. Mais oui. Webber's MVP year will drastically distance him from Duncan. Less TOs, more assists, more active in the defense. Webber will define the mold this year and Duncan will look soft b/c of it.

------------------

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Sam I'll take either one you don't want [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The only 7'7" player I wouldn't mind is that Yao Ming. Did anyone read the story about him in ESPN Mag not to long ago. Here's two things you won't here together too often: Good B-Ball player + China. this guy can ball...and he can actually shoot at 7'7, I'm talking 3's. The only questions is whether his chinese team will let him come to the US to play...if so, he'll probably be one of the top picks in a year or two. I think he's only 21 or 22. Trust me, he's no Bradley or Muresan.

------------------
    "Steve is good. Steve is real good."

-- Cleveland's rookie point guard Andre Miller on Rocket rookie point Steve Francis