1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iman Shumpert's hesitation to take the three

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

He had that cushy role with the Kings in a contract year and luxury tax savings messed it all up. I hope he at least buys into the team and starts playing the right way but the only use I see for him in a playoff rotation is spot minutes chasing guards around screens.

BasketMAD likes this.
  2. Pringles

Pringles Member

We gave Joe Johnson a **** ton of minutes at the end of a season. And he sucked almost every minute of it. We can afford some more minutes to Iman to either find his rhymer or become permanently glued to the bench.

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The first play I don’t mind so much because he drove to the basket even though he didn’t end up attempting a shot.

That second play was brutal.

It’s baffling because he’s been told not to do that. Every one of us knows not to do that, so he definitely should know not to do that.

4. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Morey doing his magic

bmelo likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You don't need to be on the Rockets to know we don't do that, that's not an excuse. We are quite literally renowned around the league for refusing to take long twos, your average NBA fan in Wisconsin knows we hate that.

He could help our defense significantly in the playoffs, but he hasn't fit himself into the offense at all.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  6. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I think Shumpert has the confidence to play against the Warriors players one on one deep into a playoff series. I don't know if House has the experience to come back in a game 6 or 7 after having been defeated in the context of a single game or two. Shumpert has size and defensive skillset to go along with experience. Two cents: Shumpert.

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  7. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

In Golden State before the game he was out there well before everyone else and guess what he was practicing?! 17-19 footers.

BamBam likes this.
  8. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

He missed a lot of shots

9. JW86

JW86 Member

I’ll take Clark for now.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He still thinks he’s in Cleveland with Tyron Lue

chadyang likes this.
  11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Shumper is avoiding shooting these 3s like Tilman avoids paying the luxury tax. Maybe the coaching staff can have a talk with the owner also.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I’d like to get House back but man he’s seriously become the new DMO around here.

He might be better than Shumpart but I wouldn’t expect him to get many minutes in a playoff series.

Dude had like 5 good games were he’s scored 15 points. The other games in his little 10 game streak were like 6-8pts on below avg shooting. He does rebound well so I do like that and his big for the wing.

I’m gonna give u guys a name....

Flip Murray

Anyone remember him?

Guy avg 20+ points a game for 15 games or so and everyone thought he was great.

Well he was out the league a few years later.

Shumpart is we playing well in SAC. He’s coming off injury, let’s see what he can do he seasons end.

lilbird20 likes this.
  13. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

His total minutes with the Rockets doesn’t even total three whole games yet, sheesh. Give it at least four [roll eyes]

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Shumpert should find his footing. One would hope, anyway. Instructions here must be pretty straightforward: jack 3's, no long 2's, and switch on defense.

"Only three pointers? Switch on D? Okay. I'll try."

"No. Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Plowman likes this.
  15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yeah, he played well especially on defense. Lots of energy last night. I finally feel like we saw the real Shump.

Gotta give him a minute to change the way he's been playing... HIS WHOLE LIFE

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

FTs GOOD so the 1st play is piling on the guy. 2nd play was bad but we've seen PJ, Eric, CP3, and even James hesitate throughout the season. It happens and he'll find his rhythm.

Zoplicone likes this.
  17. thekad

thekad Member

He’s been trash for years now.

18. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Waive him.....Tillman could use the $avings........

19. SemisolidSnake

MDA said in his pregame interview yesterday that he wants to get Shumpert in there more, but they've also got to try to win every game, so he's got to take that into account first and put the right people out there to do that.

I agree with him. Shump's got to prove himself; the team can't afford to be out there experimenting at this point in the season. Well, ok, they could if they'd stop losing huge leads in the third...:rolleyes:

He was brought for defense, but either two or three games ago, he got into foul trouble so quickly early on that he pretty much took himself right off the court for the rest of the game. Not taking long twos is something anybody coming into the Rockets ought to be drilling into their heads constantly from the moment they hear they're traded. Know your employer, for God's sake. And 1-2 feet inside the arc is not an advisable shot in pretty much anybody's system.

I dunno. He probably does need a confidence boost, but that's going to have to be worked on off the court at this stage in the season. I honestly don't know why pro sports teams don't have a permanent psychologist on staff. Mental health is just as important as physical health.

20. SemisolidSnake

Regarding hesitation to take the three, though, it's not just Shumpert. A large chunk of the team really looks like they'd rather not be shooting threes.

Rivers, obviously. Tucker doesn't look like he wants to. He does, but he definitely looks much less confident unless it's from the corner. Green is best when he's catching and shooting, but when's he's got time to think about it, that's bad for his shot. Gordon, by contrast, needs an open three. Paul is smart enough to know that he's much better when he has an open three, and he has the confidence and savvy to take take other approaches when he doesn't.

My point is that a lot of the team is jacking up threes with some amount of doubt in their mind. That's the system, and most of them are following it, but doubt is bad for shooting. It's going to be immensely important for Paul to get these guys the ball in the proper way for each one of them.

Harden could use a little more doubt in that stepback. Or maybe it's already there. He's consistently short, lately. Injuries are probably not helping. He needs to lay off that for a bit, though, until he's either healed, adjusted, or whatever it takes, because right now it's causing a lot of blown possessions.