1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iman Shumpert: Not a punk (tidbits about Rockets changing defense)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 13, 2019.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Might be more effective tbh teams only have 1-2 main threats so have Shump and Tucker lock those b****es up.

Switching only works when you have like 4 athletic defensive forwards at the same time otherwise looks more like a gimmick to me.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

The point is moot, Luc ain't here, and Luc didn't get us to one win away from the finals. That roster would have done it without him. End-o-story. Shumpert is here, I like Shumpert. Not discussing this further.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nobody always bats 100 lol

Point is Morey makes more than he misses and since he is always active you get a lot of makes in the end.

Everybody at the start of the season was complaining how Rox have no depth and Harden is playing with scrubs look at the team now we have si much depth Rox can afford to play hardball with House.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Than you are ignoring what made us dominant last year and what could have gotten us the championship last year. That's fine though, a very narrow way to view it imo, but i respect it.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol than why quote me in the first place. And to act like Luc wasnt integral piece last year is dismissive as hell.

bulkatron and ThunderStruck like this.
  6. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Why was the fact that Luc (when he's healthy and playing) is a better defender than Shumpert conflated with injured Luc being better or missing Luc, or whether Luc helped in the playoffs or whatever else?

Seemed like it was pretty clear, someone suggested that Shumpert is a better defender than Luc, someone disagreed, which I agree with, he's not better, and there's a lot both from his time with Houston and with LAC that fairly easily shows that. That differs from Shumpert who is healthy being more useful to the Rockets than Luc who is injured or that injured Luc last playoffs didn't help.

Do remember though that Shumpert has not been the healthiest guy out there through his career, but he has been able to make it through multiple longer playoff runs, so health at the right time.

oogie boogie and HP3 like this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Soooo...they’re gonna play like, box-and-one defense?

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

If he was so integral we wouldn't have been able to win in the playoffs without him? Holy ****, is this a foreign language to you? There's 3 people integral to this team's success right now: Harden, CP3, and Capela. Anyone else is replaceable.

9. HP3

HP3 Member

News flash we didnt win. If Luc was healthy, we BEAT THE WARRIORS. And no you are wrong, Tucker is pretty integral and so is EG.

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

How many bricks before CF starts hailing him as the next Corey Sewer?

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Bruh, if CP3 hadn't gotten hurt they would have won a title. FOH. Done talking to you.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

LOOL, oh now we are talking about hypotheticals? How bout if Iggy plays like so many GS fans like to say? Be done. Thank god.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love Gerald Green so much.

seclusion and HP3 like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

LOL wrong thread?

15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I feel like you two are intentionally missing the point.

The point is not moot because we are asking how good Iman Shumpert will be defensively. The bar is Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah A Moute because those 2 defenders got us 65 wins and to the WCF. If the Rockets want to win the championship then Iman Shumpert needs to be a great defender. Not just a good one, but a great defender. We for sure would have won the championship if Luc didn't get injured. That means zero minutes for Ryan Anderson and Joe Johnson who hurt us whenever they played.

You're basically saying that we can't compare players to other players since last year doesn't matter anymore, and that is overwhelmingly stubborn and irrational. Luc last season was a better defender than Trevor, and without Luc Mbah A Moute the Rockets don't win 65 games, and have HCA advantage over the Golden State Warriors. Even if Luc didn't play in the playoffs he was a HUGE reason for Houston's success last season. He helped us get HCA ffs.

We are saying that Iman Shumpert needs to be as good defensively for us as Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah A Moute were for us last season. Do you disagree? Can we win the championship if Iman Shumpert is worse defensively than Trevor Ariza? Is it dumb for us to ask, "hey, if Iman is a better defender than Trevor then we're going to be alright." Is it dumb to ask that because the 2018 Rockets are not just like George Washington? Everything in the past doesn't matter anymore apparently?

You guys have zero respect for players who helped us tremendously last season, and honestly that's messed up. The Rockets don't go as far as they did last season without both Trevor or Luc. That's a fact. If we want to go the same distance as the 2018 Rockets then Iman is going to need to be better than both Luc and Trevor were last season defensively. If you can't grasp that simple logic then you are plain stubborn. We need Iman to be as good defensively as both Trevor and Luc. Luc was a better defender than Trevor, but he got hurt. If Luc plays then the Rockets win even if CP3 goes down after game 5 because that means the Rockets aren't forced to play Ryan Anderson and Joe Johnson in key moments in an elimination game.

You want to know how irrational your logic is? The Rockets are 13-5 without Chris Paul in the past 25 games. I guess that means we don't need Chris Paul because we were just fine without him. I mean we were on pace to win 59 games without CP3! I guess that means we don't need him, right!? You know what's even funnier. The Rockets had 15 point leads against the Warriors in game 6 and 7 without Chris Paul. I guess during half time you were thinking that we didn't need him then either, right?

We want Iman to be as good defensively as Trevor and Luc because those two were our best defenders last season. That is the discussion, and frankly it shouldn't be a discussion. Don't die on this hill of stubbornness.

HP3 likes this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm just testing the waters to see if I should go Green Only Fan.

but okay. yes. I thought I was in the game thread.

HP3 likes this.
  17. macan

macan Member

wish we still had Bev, two Chicago lock down defenders.

18. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

I’ll take pat over Iman any day.

Let’s get pat and Trevor back. :p

macan likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can’t remember us ever having 4 athletic switching forwards. Actually, I’d say it takes more athleticism to fight through screens, and more brains to execute proper switching.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member