1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm throwing out a name. . . John Amechi?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Apr 9, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe we can get one of Orlando's
    big men on the Cheap. At least to fortify
    the bench until we can attract some Real
    Big name talent.

Rocket River

------------------

2. DocRiverPhoenixSunScreen@

Amaechi's good, but I think Houston native Bo Outlaw would be an even better fit here at the SF slot.

------------------
    This message has been brought to you by:

DocRiverPhoenixSunScreen@

3. outlaw

outlaw Member

Bo's actually from San Antonio. He and Shaq played against each other in HS.

Needless to say I'd love to get him here.
    It'd probably have to be thru a S&T deal though since he is looking to get paid after 7 years of chump change with the Magic and Clippers.

Bryce + Rogers + Detroit pick = Bo???

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

But they've got Bird Rights on Bo since he's been there for 3 years and his current contract is like 1 million per year so he doesn't count towards the cap too much. I think they're gonna keep him or at least do a sign and trade. Bo could have signed elsewhere in 98 but he signed a small contract with Orlando to get his Bird Rights (like what Shandon did for us). I don't think Dr. J and co. are gonna ignore his loyalty by just renouncing him.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Orlando has 8 guys whose contracts run out this off-season. If Orlando's plan to sign a maximum-deal free agent (or two) works, they will have to renounce all of them except Mercer (who would have to be renounced to get two FA superstars). That would mean Amaechi, Outlaw, Billups, Atkins and others will have to play for chump change somewhere. George Karl is right that they are being betrayed by their franchise. But it would still be a good opportunity to make a pitch to a couple of these guys.

------------------

6. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I read on some NBA news site that Orlando has Outlaw in their future plans. You can take that for what it's worth. They've got a power forward named Ben Wallace there who supposedly (I don't get to see the Magic much) brings the same kind of defensive energy (along with a limited offensive ability) to the game that Outlaw brings. He's got some real impressive block/min and reb/min stats this season. I don't know, but the Rockets might be able to use him and get him for relatively cheap. Amaechi looks like a real weak rebounder FYI, but I don't think that's what Orlando uses him for.

------------------

[This message has been edited by oakdogg (edited April 11, 2000).]

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Amechi is kinda the Reverse Cato
    All offense and no D
    I think he has heart though.

I like Ben Wallace kinda a poor man's
    Cato [only in terms of salary] He rebounds
    well and plays hard [which is what many
    people hate about Cato]

I like Doleac's range. I'd take him over
    Chris Mihm.

The reason I brought it up is maybe we need
    some scrappers off the bench.

could you image the second unit
    Here comes:
    Doleac, Bullard, Kenny Thomas, Mobley and moochie
    the strangest line up in rocket history

Striking fear in the opponents ;-)

Rocket River

------------------

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amaechi does not really like basketball that much. He wants to be a doctor, so this is just a temporary thing for him. At least, that is what he has said to this point. He will probably go back to England to persue his other carreer.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

... and I'm throwing it back.

Amaechi is not that good a center. He is undersized and overachieving. Lest we forget the last time a scrub center had a solid year, then became a free agent: Jim McIlvaine. He ended up signing the contract that ruined the Sonics. Because of the lack of decent centers in the NBA, teams often overpay for free agent 5s. Amaechi will get his money; let's just hope Houston doesn't give it to him. The Rockets are fine with Hakeem and Cato for next season. They could use someone at either forward position more than a center. Give me Bo Outlaw or Ben Wallace any day of the week (for the right price, of course).

------------------

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

John Amechi?

Only if he is REAL cheap!!! I think I have 32 cents.

------------------
    The lottery sucks!