1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

im gettin a cat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, Mar 24, 2000.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

what should i name it ? its gonna be greay and white, long-haired, and i plan for him to be fat. i was thinkin chubby or ralphus. any suggestions ?

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

2. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

if it is going to be chunky: Sir Charles or Pig Miller.

------------------
    ~John~
    The Cheese Is In. Join us game nights in the chat room.
    JohnyRocket's Fan Site

[This message has been edited by Johny Rocket (edited March 24, 2000).]

3. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

If you get a fat female, you've got to name her Rosie.

------------------

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I see you have good taste in cats. Fat, long-haired cats are the way to go. Not sure exactly what 'Ralphus' means, but I think it sounds cool. I like to go with human names for my pets.

------------------

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Cuttino.

------------------
    "Sources tell me that the Blazers held a team meeting after the two losses..." - "Pistol" Pete Vescey with the inside scoop.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

My wife and I have a bunch of cats. Make sure you give it a human name, not Fluffy or Furball or Chubby. I kinda like Ralphus, actually, but my wife, who is the queen of cat names, suggests Oswald for your cat. Good luck!

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited March 24, 2000).]

7. gr8-1

jeff, why should have to be a human name ? can cats tell a difference ? very intersting ? i know they are intelligent, but not that intelligent, please explain. i like chubby, so i can say to my girlfriend (or other chicks) "do you want to see my chubby ?"

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Cats are extremely intellegent but aren't considered so by many people because they are more independant than dogs. You can't really train them but not for lack of intellegence. They are just independant creatures.

The reason I said to give your cat a human name is twofold:

1. Human names are more respectful to the animal. If you believe in reincarnation, for example, your cat was probably human itself recently. Besides, "chubby" is a description not a name.

2. There is nothing wrong with calling a cat "Chubby" as a nickname. Nearly every single one of our cats has a nickname that we use as often as their real name, but the nicknames were born out of their personalities, not a single defining characteristic.

For example, we have a long-haired cat named Winston who we refer to off and on as "Professor Fuzz" because he has tufts of hair around his ears that resemble the hair from charactures of college professors (a la Albert Einstein) and he is VERY quirky. We have another cat named Orville who we tend to refer to as "pilot" because he shadows other cats like a pilot fish does with a shark.

You see, these are born out of knowing the cats and understanding their personalities and being around them. There is nothing preventing you from calling them a nickname like I'm sure your friends or relatives have, but giving your cat one right out of the gate seems, I don't know, disrespectful, like your mom naming you Fatty because you were a plump baby.

[​IMG]

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Intelligence is typically measured by the ability to learn. Dogs slobber and make a mess, but their ability to learn is almost limitless--much like a human baby. Cats act cool and can pretty much keep themselves clean, but they are purely instinctual creatures--much like snakes. Call him "dumbass" and feed him lox for a week--the next week, feed him dry cat food and call him "beautiful." He will indicate to you which name he prefers.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

10. gr8-1

Pole, what is "lox ?" Also, so your saying its ok for me to call him chubby or fluffy or whatever ? I really dont see it being a big deal either.

jeff, i think i may settle on frasier though.

------------------

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

12. Pole

lox is (as far as I know) a Jewish term for one of my favorite treats--smoked salmon. It was Saturday night when I posted that, and I had just come home from having one of my other favorite treats--lots of sushi and lots of Asahi Super Dry (I may have been a few sheets to the wind and looking for controversy) Anyway, I think cats are pretty cool, but I'm basically a "dog person." Your best advice on naming your new friend probably won't come from me.

------------------

13. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I like dogs. I've had three. But I've been bitten twice by dogs, and I have lived in an apartment for like a decade (sheesh), so I have cats.

Actually, I have four cats. Their names are: Fuzzy, Carrie, Suzie, and Izzie.

Fuzzy was named when we got him, because he was just a big puff ball of a cat. My wife and I went to a pet store to get a cat. There were like six kittens in there and Fuzzy was the friendliest and most active one in the whole litter. He is extremely intelligent and even more friendly. I taught him how to talk to the birds outside our apt. window. These little finchs (or whatever) are always chirping up in the trees, and when he can see them he 'chirps' back. It's real funny, because it doesn't sound like a meow at all, but just like those birds outside. He's also the only male and he's a tabby (like Morris).

Carrie was named after the movie "Carrie" because she's mean as hell. My wife won't even pick her up. Whenever she hears a sound outside or knocking on the door she growls. She's a daddy's girl though and I tend to baby her. She is sitting next to me on our couch next to the computer about 90% of the time when I'm online (She is right now). She's jet black with only a little bit of white on her tummy and paws. The cool thing is she has black eyebrow whiskers and a black nose too. Carrie goes about 13 lbs, but is a short fat cat.

Suzie was named after the C.C.R. song "Suzie Q". Suzie is about 20 lbs, but she also has a bigger frame than our boy cat (who runs about 16 lbs). She's not the smartest cat in the bunch. We got her and Carrie at the same time from the SPCA. The people there told us that they were sisters, but my wife and I think they were BSing us. Although she's not too bright, she's very friendly and loves to be petted. She sheds like a madwoman too. Suzie is black and white.

Izzie is our youngest. She was named after Brad Pitt's character's wife in the movie "Legends of the Fall", Isabell 2. When we lived in a different apartment here in the same complex our upstairs neighbors got a little kitten. But, they left her out on the balconey at night and she would just scream and scream (Her nickname is "scream"). They eventually moved after having her only a few days and left her there. My wife and I came home to find her crouched at our door meowing her little head off. She must've smelled our other cats. We really didn't need nor want another cat, because we already had three and all in a one-bedroom apt. But, she was so cute. We took her inside and gave her a bath. And, anyone who has cats knows what happened... All the cats got sick... sheesh. Anyways she's still the smallest around 9 lbs (actually that's about average) and is gray and white with blue eyes. She has some Siamese in her.

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited March 27, 2000).]

14. Pole

You're a good guy, DREAMer

------------------

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

DREAMer - GREAT for you and your wife. I wasn't sure if I wanted to admit this for fear people would think I was a nut, but I figure, what the hell.

My wife and I have 16 cats (not a typo). They are ALL strays or former homeless cats. Though it might be crazy sounding, we could not turn any of them away. We have DEFINITELY reached our limit and actually have taken in and adopted out 4 additional cats in the past year.

I totally respect what you and your wife has done (of course, we have more space than you in our house - we even built a small screened-in porch attached by a screened in "cat walk" so they can be outside without actually being outside). More power to you!

Here's their names (no descriptions - I'll spare you!):

Lisa
    Brandy
    Tommy
    Avery
    Tucker
    Winston
    Torvald
    Arthur
    Dexter
    Alex
    Tessa
    Sara
    Orville
    Wilbur
    Charlotte
    Emily
    ------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited March 26, 2000).]

16. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Thanks guys. It's funny, I get more replies to my "cat" post then I do for my Rocket posts. [​IMG]

When my wife and I do get a house, I plan to have around 5 total cats and build a little cat highway through most of the house up near the ceiling. I saw something like it once on some animal show, and those cats seemed to love it.

17. gr8-1

Jeff, love the names, but charlotte ? this girl named charlotte broke my heart,lol. anyways, this doesnt mean youre a huge anthony mason fan does it ?

------------------

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

DREAMer: The show you are referring to was on Home and Garden TV. The people you are talking about wrote a book called "The Cats House" - it is way cool.

GR8: No, I'm not an Anthony Mason fan. Actually, Emily and Charlotte are sisters and were named after the Bronte sisters like Wilbur and Orville who are brothers (Wright Bros). All four of them are litter mates rescued from the SPCA where they were going to be put to sleep because they were too young to be cared for by the SPCA.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com