1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm calling it now, Rockets will win the 2020 championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RKREBORN, Jun 26, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ill take the chip, but Y U DO DIS.....?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does it mean dis is jinxed?

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't quite follow the boston hype and how they have the same odds as us. they basically play small ball too, but never get any hate for it. they don't have even 1 mvp level player and theis is straight trash

GradyMcTracy and D-rock like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

It isn’t actually the same though to win the title. They do play small ball but it isn’t as extreme as Houston. The league plays small. It’s been that way for a long time but we known Houston is the only one that is now doing it all game. Boston has a good team filled with multiple guys that are versatile. Also good coaching. I’ve liked Tatum ever since duke. Kid is going to be damn good and is still trending up. Good things happen when you have that. It’ll come down to them and the bucks to me and the odds take that into account. The path in the east isn’t the same as the path in the west

btw speaking of, that was a great game bw the rockets and Boston just before the shutdown. Prime time ball. Man I miss the NBA lol

#25 YOLO, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well they do have a number of really good players, and really good coach.

I'd agree still, they should be 4th in the East behind Mil, Phil, Toronto... but a early 2000s Pistons-esque run is possible from them. Kemba has been relatively underrated his whole career. Tatum has legit star potential is is basically at all-star level already. 24 ppg, 7 rpg, 3 apg, 40% three point shooting and REALLY good defensively. Jaylen Brown was also putting up 20 a game, plays really solid defense and shots the 3 ball extremely well. So that's 3 twenty ppg scorers, and Hayward was getting better and better - 17, 6.5, 4 with 39% three point shooting.

Kemba, Tatum, Brown and Hawyard take a combined 25.7 three point shots a game shooting 40%, 38%, 38% and 39% respectively. That's insanely good.

Then Marcus Smart is Marcus Smart... and oh, btw, he now shoots 35% from three on 7 a game. They're not super deep beyond Theis and Kanter after that, but, in short, its a lot of REALLY good players, and great coaching, that also all commit defensively.

Indeed, though, there isn't a single player there on Harden/Russ' level yet.

With everyone playing their best, though, the East should be Mil, Philly, Toronto then Boston, but the gap between Mil and the other 3 is big, whereas the other three are pretty close, imo.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ill know who to blame, besides ferntits, if we dont.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

theis has no business starting in this league and kanter is basically unplayable in the playoffs :D

regarding the path, they still have to beat bigger teams (bucks/fakers) to win a title in the eyes of the "experts", but that narrative never gets brought up for them. theis and covington basically the same size except one of them is an elite defender and the other is barely even average at anything in this league

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i agree on toronto being ahead of boston in the pecking order, philly's a big question mark for me. also agree boston has a lot of very good players and they all seem to fit well together and play hard. but come on, they not even on our level, they belong a tier or two below :D

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

When smart is in the game, that’s when they go small. That’s a pretty good lineup filled with athleticism, versatility, defense collectively. A drop of 5/1 odds is significant in terms of betting

10/1 for the rockets. 15/1 for Boston

pippendagimp likes this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Odds on a Houston / Boston finals?

75- 1 ish?

#31 Plowman, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    BamBam likes this.
  12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I haven’t watched ESPN IN 7 months. I’m done.

Truly feel like the Rockets have a great shot to win it all this year.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Odds should be after playoff seedings are determined. LAL and LAC could be a second round matchup. Can it statistically be a first round matchup, even?

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

if someone thinks both LA teams go 0-8 and other west teams basically go undefeated to shift the standings for them to make that a 1st round matchup. In other words no.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed.

But dont sleep on the Heat. Bucks fear them for a reason.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. Section123row16seat1

Would it be better to go to Orlando and hold signs up outside the bubble as a true die hard fan or to go to Toyota center. Masks on obviously

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Be Water, the Rodman docu.... 30 for 30 has been solid.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, I probably think they're closer to our level than you, but definitely not on our level. I'd take Harden and Russ before any of their players, but the next 4 players I'd take for sure are Celtics, and then its Marcus Smart vs. Eg/Tucker/Covington. Even if you're being generous and saying you'd take all three Rockets over Smart, you're still talking about Houston being top heavy vs. Boston's better quantity of super solid players... and better coaching.

Being top heavy matters more in the NBA (and most sports, generally) then being a team like the Celtics. Only the early 2000 Pistons come to mind as a team that won a ring in that way.

But Houston's top two guys have history of it not "working out" for them in the playoffs, and their coach MDA as well (not that Stevens has won a ring).

Finally, being in the East gives them a slightly better chance of making a Finals run then the Rockets. Competing against Mil, Tor, Philly. You can be as positive as you want about Toronto, but if they make the Finals I'd still be a bit shocked (not as shocked as some... i always thought they were more talented then the "let's make Kawhi the top player on the planet because of one shot and a chip against Steph Curry and a bunch of g-leaguers", but still shoicked). And Philly as we all know is dysfunctional af.

Milwaukee is a juggernaut... but i will say have a bit of pressure on them for sure. Giannis with the MVP already. Coach Bud never making it past the ECF. They way they kind of blew it last year. They were a double overtime loss away from going up 3-0 on Toronto. And you know they would have beaten those GSW as well. Btw in that game 3 loss, in the 4th quarter Giannis was 2-6 from the field and 2-5 from the line and a -3. He had 4 fouls in the quarter. He made it through the first overtime without fouling out but was 0-2 from the filed and 0-2 from the line. He fouled out shortly into the 2nd overtime. So in 4Q + OT1 + OT2 he was 2-8 from the field and 2-7 from the line with 5 fouls. So he's got pressure on him for sure.

Houston will have to go through 2 and likely 3 of LAL, LAC, Den, Jazz, Thunder and Mavericks. And I'd put all of those teams up there with the Celtics. The Celtics should be able to take out the Thunder/Mavericks in a series for sure... but then again, you never know. I'd favor any of the other teams over the Celtics personally, Then there's two legit juggernauts.

I have actually slept on them, lol. I still don't trust them. Jimmy Butler, some solid role players and above average coaching is great, but how far can that ultimately go? I mean I REALLY like Bam. But Bam is 22, Goran is solid, and Nunn, Robinson and Herro are all basically rookies. It's a decently solid collection around that - Crowder, Winslow, Olynk, Leonard, Derrick Jones, they added Iggy... solid... i just wouldn't be scared of them

D-rock and pippendagimp like this.
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

as you've also alluded to, the main issue i have w/ BOS is they don't have anyone who commands a double-team. HOU has the guy most double-teamed in this league since MJ/Dream/Shaq. as well as a guy in westbrook who is devastating attacking the rim, commanding help defense to collapse on him. and regarding their other players, i might actually take covington over jaylen or hayward -- agree otherwise though

two things come to mind regarding your MIL recap from last year. will giannis be able to keep defenses honest when they force him to make 3's? you would think he's been throwing up 1500 three's a day during the lockdown so who knows. and secondly, it will be interesting to see how home court advantage plays out for the underdog teams. could be a lot more quick series w/ sweeps and gentleman's sweeps now with the underdogs playing on neutral court.

20. StevieCrossover

*asterick season......... When some players/stars can easily catch covid 19, other players/stars may refuse to play. I dont really see the competitiveness.

But i do know, cover your face when your opponent sh** talks you, that thing's contageous.
    Itll be fun to watch nba again. Stay safe NBA players.