1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ike] New Tropical Threat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Does anyone know if the Galleria has wi-fi? I'm thinking of just going there tomorrow to chill and surf and charge my phone.

2. JD2010

JD2010 Member

yeah it does, i believe some people from this board were posting from the galleria. I can't remember who though.

3. Ming Dynasty

Ming Dynasty Member

Anyone know how I-45 looks, particularly through Montgomery County? The transtar cameras don't seem to be working. TIA.

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I live no too far from the Kemah Boardwalk and grew up near Surfside. These pictures of both places are terribly stunning.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Finally back. My girlfriend had power just a couple hours after the storm was over, but Comcast was down until last night.

I'm still without power in the Heights, but my house suffered no damage. Cleaning up today should be fun.

I took around 200 photos on Saturday and Sunday. I will try to process and upload them today.

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

According to my brother, my parents house in Pasadena has power again. (77504)

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Power and cable/internet back, 77071, corner of Braeswood/Fondren. We're very fortunate - Meyerland and Bellaire seem to be almost totally blacked out. Looked like the entire stretch of 290 (just inside Hwy 6 through 610) is without.

Still, credit where it's due - the repair teams are in serious overdrive restoring the grid.

Consider I-45 completely FUBAR, both ends of town.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

When we left town, we hit 45 from 2920 and had zero problems all the way out of town. FWIW, there was no electricity until we got past Centerville. This was on Saturday night though.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You know, considering the scope of the disaster, the response by volunteers, power companies and even the government has been impressive. Within 48 hours, there were multiple locations open to pass out water, ice and food, despite the incessant griping of Miya Shay. Did anyone else want to drive down to city hall and punch her in her face?

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I'll go with you. She has been really irritating, and I could use to blow off a little steam. :D

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

It became predictable and amusing (somewhat) after a while.

Very doubtful that she will get any <I>Seasons Greetings</I> cards from Emmett or White.

12. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Same here- we left N. Houston for Ft. Worth Saturday around 5 PM, and we didn't see any electricity until Centerville. Pretty crazy- that is 160 miles from the coast.

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

What was surprising to me is that Refgal's house in League City had electricity and water by Sunday night. Things around here got hit pretty hard, but her house only lost about a dozen shingles and it looks like one weekend real soon, I will be building a fence.

She got really lucky. I have been enjoying the benefits of her good fortune (a/c, etc).

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

checking in. Friday night was the scariest freakin' night of my life! never, eeeeeevvvver want to go through that again. 3 holes in my roof and one right through my windshield car.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i thought the response has been great. i'm tired of all the folks calling into radio stations blaming centerpoint for not getting to them and not getting power up fast enough. they can only do so much and as has been said, "unfortunately, someone has to be last".

16. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

what? weather is not a perfect science...i am so grateful for that late east turn or Galveston would be looking at more devastation.

what do you want? we ALL are affected by this hurricane, even though some of us didn't have damages to our property but the city of Houston and Galveston are affected!

i'm just glad it wasn't much worse!

for whoever that wanted to experience a hurricane, are you happy now? :mad: i don't want to go through a hurricane again...too much stress about family, friends and the house.

the latest victim is my parents' dog...he has been limping since yesterday and we don't know what happened to him. the vet is closed until they get the power back.

i didn't really think we would get a hurricane, much less a direct hit! I thought it would hit south or east of us...

did anyone find it weird when the government denied the news helicopters to go over Bolivar Peninsula Sunday?

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

It didn't know how to contact you so I laid a post in the Fade baseball league thread after checking on your parents house for you. The power was restored in the neighborhood at 4pm yesterday.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

check out this brilliant thoughtful sensitive post below :rolleyes:

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh come on, I did not say I wanted it to hit Houston, I would prefer it hit between Corpus and Padre and swing North....

Post 285.

Post 367

And I have been through a similar hurricane....Alicia in 1983.....

You are trying to hard V3.0 - You are just a DD hater.

You are no longer invited to our lakehouse for a beer and shuffleboard game.....

DD

#2699 DaDakota, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

My ex father-in-law lives off of Taylor Lake in Seabrook...He's right on the lake and his first floor has about 11 foot ceilings which is used as a concrete gameroom....His house is approx. 170 -200 feet from the water...The water reached reached just below the ceilings and all his windows/doors blew out, sheetrock gone, just a complete mess...