1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

It would require Cole really wanting to remain.

The Astros moving salary elsewhere and likely agreeing internally that they will not keep Correa and Springer long term.

If they Astros decided that they needed to move off of Zach Greinke, they would have no issue moving him and very well could get more than what they gave up to get him at the end of the season.

It is almost impossible to do but would be great.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, obviously. This is a no-discount, "money is even" (more in Houston, if you buy into the cost of living/income tax argument), where does he want to play the majority of his career sort of hypothetical scenario.

Springer isn't going to cost as much in both years and $$/years as a healthy Correa. Again, I don't think this is a Cole or nobody else situation if they structure the potential deals a certain way. There will undoubtedly be Marwin/Keuchel-like sacrifices in order to make it all work.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t see how it’s possible. Cole is likely to command $200M+ and there just doesn’t seem to be that much money available without putting Houston in a really bad spot (meaning having to get rid of core offensive players and no resign other core players along with having no money for other free agents).

I offer Cole $160M/7 years knowing he’s not gonna take it, but that’s about the Max I think Houston can afford. If they win it all, that might bump up to $180/7 or maybe even $200/8. But either way signing cole means no Correa and no Springer past their current team control.

My focus on the offseason would be:

1. Extending Springer thru 2023.
    2. Finding a good affordable 2-3 year solution at catcher (Maldonado and Avila would make a good tandem)
    5. Finding a reliable affordable starting pitcher to replace Miley/Cole.
    4. Replacing 2 of the 5 RP that are leaving by making trades or free agent signings, without spending much money. Part of this includes shipping out Reddick with prospects.

4. Nook

Nook Member

What I can tell you is that the Astros have an extension sitting on the table for Correa to sign. Thus far he has not been inclined to sign it.

What I was speculating on was that the Astros could likely SHIFT that money towards signing Cole, and add the additional money from moving Reddick plus the money they would be willing to offer for Cole all together. The Astros could then either keep Correa until his arbitration number is too high or they could trade him and use that deal to fill holes in the system. Have Bregman shift to short and give Toro third.

It is all a little convoluted but it is the only way I could ever see retaining Cole as a possibility.

Ultimately you may get Cole but lose Correa soon and then Springer in free agency.

I agree with Nick, Cole is the best pitcher in baseball and I believe he will be even better next year and may go on a 2-3 run where he piles up Cy Young awards.

5. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on where Crane draws the line and how receptive Springer is to signing an extension, I agree with you, he isn't likely to get the type of money he envisioned 4-5 years ago. He has been very good, but he isn't young and he isn't a top 5 player in baseball. So his contract length and amount is likely not insane.

I agree with you, if Cole is in Houston there is zero way Correa ever gets an extension. They may keep him around at an arbitration number, but at some point he will be dealt. Luckily, we have some choices. We also will likely have Tucker as a corner outfielder long term at a reasonable number.

mikol13 and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Give that man whatever he wants. A dynasty in the making.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

At this point I think it should be pretty clear that if the franchise had to pick between Cole or Correa, Gerrit would retire as an Astro. If I'm wrong I definitely want to know the thinking behind trying/wanting to keep Correa.

raining threes and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Probably combination of position player vs pitcher in terms of value

Position player vs pitcher in terms of injury risk (even though it’s been Correa who has been injury prone so far)

And Correa willing to give us a better price

It’s unrealistic to think the astros will keep all their great players . But I’d love to see us try lol . Winning and having homegrown a lot of these guys might help us ink some discounts

9. AirPower

AirPower Member

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Maybe he wants to stay. After a certain level, quality issues become important. What I am saying is that he is likely already set for life financially, so where do you want to be, who do you want to play with, and so on?

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. vince

vince Member

Isn’t it crazy. Bregman has virtually replaced the dire need for Correa; and now Cole might, if he wants to put monies designated girl Correas into his own bank account.

Franchises are privileged to prance out one legit ace every 5th start. The Astros have 3 legit Aces.....

And Cole is getting ready to make his longevity-mark-run onto the baseball world.. the type of runs that can propel guys into mythical status. So even though it might not be the smartest move, I’m thinking give it a real effort to sway him to stay!

mikol13 and steddinotayto like this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jose Altuve
    George Springer
    Alex Bregman
    Justin Verlander
    Yordan Alvarez
    Carlos Correa is very talented, but needs to stay healthy, and not get injured.
    With Correa injury history why would any team overpay for him.

The Yankees always kept Position Star Players, 1 Star Pitcher,especially their Closer
    Andy Pettite, Roger Clemens, El Duque Hernandez, David Wells - Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, Zack Greinke, Wade Miley
    Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez (2009) - Jose Altuve, Alex Bregman, Carlos Correa
    Bernie Williams - George Springer
    Mariano Rivera - Roberto Osuna
    Jorge Posada
    Darryl Stawberry, David Justice, Paul O'Neil - Yordan Alvarez, Kyle Tucker

Gerrit Cole can be replaced by trading prospects for a Star Pitcher.

Noah Syndergaard, Max Scherzer could be traded, you never know.
    Just keep drafting talent and package them for a Star a Pitcher.

Lance McCullers Jr is coming back, Aaron Sanchez also, Forrest Whitley is very talented.

#72 rockets1995, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This will also be his best chance to get the biggest possible contract.

I don't know many people who would scoff at that.

In the end, he should be able to get everything he wants... biggest contract, in the place he wants to go... he's earned that.

mikol13 likes this.
  14. the shark

the shark Member

Say he could get 6 yrs 240 mil (and more than likely will).

I would much rather have Cole over Greinke (as anybody would). They could flip Greinke for some prospects and free up 40 mil. So now the 'Stros would be looking at 6 yrs 200 mil (33 mil avg per yr) as 40 mil that they would have paid Greinke is now going to Cole.

So they'd have JV & Cole for the next two yrs and than after that (as I said previously) your core moving forward going into the '22 season would be:

Bregman
    Altuve
    Cole
    Alvarez
    Tucker
    *and hopefully Springer

15. biff17

biff17 Member

When has Lunhow ever been in the position of letting a player walk in his prime?

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Only way I see it happening is trading Greinke and packaging prospects with Reddick so somone will eat all his salary. Basically swapping Greinke and Reddick for Cole and Tucker. Those salaries cancel each other out.

The Astros have other needs besides just Cole. Both catchers are free agents. Miley, Harris, Rondon, and McHugh are free agents. I don't think the Astros can fill all those spots and afford Cole while keeping Greinke.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They'll have to commit to an increased payroll with tax implications, nobody is debating that. They may do it... they may not... winning the WS could move the needle both directions.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'll chip in and pay $20 a beer and $15 nachos if this helps. I attend around 30 games a year so it's a dent.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not if you don't drink or eat nachos. :)

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

But who does that? Crazy talk!