1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're a GM, who do you start building a roster with - Towns or Porzingis?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by omgTHEpotential, Feb 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. omgTHEpotential

Just interested to know what you think of these two great looking rookies. Both are 20 and project as legit two-way stars.

Towns
    16.6ppg / 9.9rpg / 1.8bpg
    On 54% / 39% / 85% shooting

Porzingis
    13.9ppg / 7.7rpg / 1.9bpg
    On 43% / 35% / 84% shooting

Towns seems more consistently good right now, but Porzingis has possibly a higher ceiling.

2. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Porzingis is good. Very good.

But I'm not sure where the idea came from that Towns' ceiling is lower than Kristaps. This isn't directly aimed at the OP btw, it's just been a reoccurring consensus I have seen popping up.

Towns can handle the ball like a guard and runs the fast break with more bounce than Kevin Durant. He handles the ball like a large Chris Paul.

He could be anything.

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Towns for me. If both guys panned out, there'd be no bad choice.

4. conquistador#11

not sure. but i do know that lebron the gm set up minny for a nice future, and as a leader i have to respect that.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll say Towns. I think he'll be better (if not much) and has a more typical build, maybe making him less susceptible to injuries.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Steph Curry

7. omgTHEpotential

My argumentation is this. I think both might be exceptionally good offensive players, but Porzingis might become an even better defender based on his great instincts and exceptional length. Keyword here is obviously 'might'. There's no guarantee that Porzingis will even be as good as Towns on either end. This is my opinion though...

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Towns
    Pork Guy
    Okafor

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Porzingis is too tall, he could end up injured like Ralph or Yao or any other NBA player 7'3" and above.

10. omgTHEpotential

Yeah, that's one of the main concerns. I hope they don't bulk him up too much...

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Towns but I really like Porzingis. I think it's easier to tell how Towns''s game will improve.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Towns basically for the injury concerns of Porz. But really I don't know yet. Have to watch much more. Let's see how they do next year when the league has adapted to them.
    Both amazing talents, who look like superstars to be very soon. Both two way players.

Not even sure if I would take AD over them. AD is extremely injury prone after all. And he's not a good defender either.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Porzingis is the rocky IV villain, right?

[​IMG]

14. theangrycanary

Towns

Zinger might be able to put on muscle and become a player as dominant as wilt chamberlain. But it's a big if, and you're always going to have to worry about foot injuries.

Towns, meanwhile, is a lot better than the Zinger right now. Already a top center. And is already projected by some to be a hall of famer.

By the way, this might be off topic... but is it really that useful to have Zinger play a stretch four? I'd want him around the basket.

15. omgTHEpotential

It really is surprising when you find out that Dolph Lundgren (the guy who played Ivan Drago - the Rocky 4 villain) is only 6'4. Porzingis almost a foot taller!

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Towns might have replace AD as the next big thing.

17. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Towns. He and Wiggins (and their next lotto pick?) are OKC remixed.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Towns no question.

Porzingis looking like he should have gone #2 overall, though. Both are legit.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think towns is better than AD.

His rookie season is a lot better than ADs rookie season plus AD is always hurt.

One thing I find strange about AD is that his team seems to play as well or better when he's injured.

He's a great player but I don't know how much he pushes the needle in terms of winning at this point.

20. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Easily Towns. He has no weakness to his game. I don't understand how Porzingas has higher upside based on defense...the case for Towns to be the #1 pick over Okafor was due to Towns' tremendous defensive ability. Towns is already very good and has the potential to be a top defensive center as well as an all-around offensive threat. He even has the potential to shoot the ball consistently from the perimeter, so it's not like Porzingas is even the much better fit for this era of basketball.

I think Porzingas has a great future...he could be Nowitzki with rim defense. That would be an easy Hall of Famer (considering Nowitzki is a Hall of Famer without the rim defense). But Towns could be a center on the level of the upper tier...Olajuwon, Shaq, Russell, Abdul-Jabbar, Chamberlain. (Operative term in both cases is "could be.")

Most likely, neither will quite reach those ceilings, but I definitely think Towns has the higher ceiling.