1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were the GM what would you do this summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, May 27, 2016.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

kidnap les and hold him somewhere for 4 years. fire mda. hire jvg. find a 2nd scorer and starting center. trade ariza, bev, brewer, dwight and picks for better role players. win 'ships.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey is a sleazebag nigerian scammer. This loser is going to get blackballed. His days are numbered.

3. Sen89

Sen89 Member

1. Get Batum in FA
    - This should be priority #1. I'm convinced that Batum is the type of 2nd playmaker we need next to Harden, who will not work with any traditional playmaking PG. Batum can shoot off the ball, defend, and handle. Basically he brings the good of Parsons and Ariza together.

2. Get a Veteran defensive C
    - I can't wait to see Dwight go, but without him, our frontcourt D only gets worse (and it wasn't good to begin with). Obviously the team-D, effort and communication was mostly to blame, and hopefully those will improve (though under MDA, who knows), but we need some help personnel-wise regardless. Noah makes sense in FA, and a guy like Tyson Chandler could be attainable on the trade market. Both of those guys can rebound, defend, provide leadership and not demand the BS touches that Dwight did. That way we don't throw Capela too many minutes just yet.

3. Address the PF spot and get someone who fits.
    - No idea what D'Antoni's vision is for this team, but I'm guessing it's an uptempo squad that can shoot/run (and hopefully defend). There are guys in FA like Luol Deng and Marvin Williams who are 6'9"ish who can hit threes and defend larger PFs. I think both guys would be great targets.

4. Address perimeter shooting
    - I have a feeling that Ariza wants out, and the positive of that is that he at least holds trade value. But we do need some wings like him who can run, shoot (but consistently) and defend, especially with the Brewer debacle last year. Courtney Lee is a FA and fits the bill to a tee. Guys like Bazemore are out in FA as well, but I think he's going to get a big deal. A guy like Lou Williams could be available in trade talks too, and he'd be a great 6th man behind PBev.

Maybe something like this:
    - Trade Ariza/Dekker/Brewer for Chandler/Tucker
    - Sign Batum and M.Williams
    - Trade KJ/filler for Lou Williams

Tyson Chandler/Clint Capela
    Marvin Williams/Michael Beasley
    Nicolas Batum/PJ Tucker
    James Harden/(Batum/Lou/Tucker)
    Pat Beverley/Lou Williams

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

No sure I'd do all of that, but blowing the team up, including trading Harden, for a chance at a real rebuild would be fine by me.

We are not gonna create a contender through free agency; I challenge anyone to tell me otherwise with a straight face.

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Sign Jimmer Fredette to partially-guaranteed contract to show up to training camp and see if can make the team.

6. rocket tar

rocket tar Member

pg - sergio llull / beverley
    sg - harden/ malcolm brogdon / goudelock
    sf - ariza / dekker / mcdaniels
    pf - marvin williams / beasley / harrell
    c - hassan whiteside / capela

7. Harden's beard

acquire good players

8. Bob

Bob Member

Drink heavily.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

looking more and more like Batum is a pipe dream. By all accounts very happy in Charlotte and most people expect him to stay.

https://swarmandsting.com/2016/05/17/most-experts-believe-that-nicolas-batum-will-stay-with-the-charlotte-hornets/

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

11. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Try to trade Harden for one of the top 2 picks.

Harden is almost definitely better than either of those players will be, but there's no feasible way to build a TRUE contender around him before he hits free agency.

Getting guys like Horford and Conley would make the team really really good, but not good enough to beat GSW, CLE, OKC, or SAS. All that would do is lock them into 4-5 years of the 3 seed (if Harden stayed) before having to blow it up and rebuild. I'd rather not waste 5 years.

1 person likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

How about
    Horford - max
    Bazemore (12M)
    Dudley (7M)
    Llull (6M)
    + someone with 2.8M room exception.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Don't resign Jones and Dmo.

Try my best to trade Brewer and Beverley.

Acquire some quality shooters, a pg that could coexist with Harden and some true big men that could pretty much do it all.

14. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

You are correct. There is NO WAY this team is a contender or even close to one. So if the only goal is to win a ring ( and that should be the goal) then we need to turn around and start this thing over. We should trade harden while he has great trade value.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

This.

As much justifiable criticism as Morey may get, it's now clear that he isn't able to really do his job, his owner interferes and handicaps him from truly building a long term championship contender.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See, I don't fall for the Le$ makes all the decisions noise, I think Morey and Le$ work together and Le$ has the final say, but Morey is in there with him.

So they are both at fault or get the credit, because if it was as bad as some of the Moreyites are claiming then he should quit immediately.

Because Adelman quit when Morey forced Finch onto his roster, Morey should follow suite if this is the same scenario.

DD

17. sabesque

sabesque Member

The point that you're trying to make by pressing Le$ instead of Les is definitely not work the effort of pressing the shift key every time

18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

A good point.

19. lionaire

lionaire Member

-Brewer
    -excellent corner 3 pt shooter

Choose one.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Join a hedge fund.