1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If You Take An Officer's Taser In Fight With The Officer That You Started, You Deserve Getting Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 14, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Atlanta Police Shooting. I don't want young black men thinking they shouldn't expect to diin that situation. The police chief should not have resigned and the officer should not have been immediately fired.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If you are going to philosophize your justifications about about people getting shot to death. You could at least spell check bro.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't philosophize a thing. That's actually what happened. The body camera was on

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If you have a mental illness, and make a threading move, you deserve to be shot and killed.

If you are under the influence, and make a threatening move, you deserve to be shot and killed.

If you do not have a mental illness, isn’t mentally deficit in any way, not under the influence and made a mistake, you deserve to be shot and killed.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

I’ve been wondering about this incident. Does a police officer have a right to kill someone who points a stun gun at them?

I don’t know if there is any kind of official policy about this. I suppose the police will make the argument that the bad guy could stun the police officer and then take his gun and shoot him. So, the officer could say he feared for his life when the stun gun was pointed at him.

This case is a lot different than the George Floyd case as this officer was Making a split second decision. The officer may even claim he was unsure if the man had a stun gun or a real gun.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You have stolen a not deadly but harmful weapon a bout of drunkenness. What if he tases someone? Should they have waited for that?

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes

edwardc likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Um no, he's already drunk.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I also wonder about this instance. On one hand, you could want the cop to realize that his own taser wont kill him. On the other hand where do we begin to define lethality (IE baseball bat) and what merits the use of deadly force? Maybe we need tranq darts to ensure all perps are just immediatly asleep.

10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Bingo. We have a winner. If a suspect turns around mid-pursuit and points an object that resembles a gun at an officer, I believe it’s his duty to fire at suspect. Sure, it’s likely the stun gun that he just stole but you can’t be certain in that instant

LonghornFan, King1, Corrosion and 2 others like this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So what? Can I retaliate against you for something you might do? Your honor, @pgabriel was going to punch me so I punched him first. We’re cool, right?

Cops aren’t there to judge you. They’re there to deal with the situation at hand, not probabilities.

fallenphoenix and edwardc like this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They knew exactly what he had in the ATL case. I agree with you otherwise. Maybe stun guns should be bright neon with bunny ears from now on.

T_Man likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He just took the weapon while while drunk while resisting arrest. Yeah I don't have a problem making the judgement

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

If you resist arrest, you deserve to be shot & killed.
    If you fake a $20 bill, you deserved to be killed.
    If you jog through a neighborhood that's not your own & look at houses under construction, you deserve to be shot & killed.

*unless you are white.
    And then by all means please go shoot up the local mall, church, movie theater, school and we'll take you in alive afterwards.

#15 J.R., Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Remind me never to take your fork.

Why on earth would you shoot someone with a taser?

And how incompetent do you have to be to:

A) Lose a scuffle to a drunk guy
    B) Get punched in the face by a drunk guy
    C) Have a drunk guy take your taser
    D) Have a drunk guy be able to run away with your taser

Effing keystone cops here. They deserve to be fired for their incompetence.

And the guy didn't deserve to be gunned down for escaping police.

DVauthrin, fallenphoenix and edwardc like this.
  17. hhh345

hhh345 Member

It’s not as easy as you think to arrest someone who is resisting arrest

AstrosRockets1818 and joshuaao like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not, but there's no way two trained cops should not be able to arrest a drunk man, not to mention losing a weapon and letting him get up and run away.

And certainly someone shouldn't be shot just for running away.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why? Tasers are supposed to be non-lethal. Why does that warrant getting shot?

But if you consider tasers to be lethal, then the police should not be using them on unarmed suspects or perps. So there are going to be a load more of police prosecutions.

Just a hint for you to improve your posting. These types of threads are how I know that you aren't the original poster known as pgabriel.

fallenphoenix, edwardc and Ubiquitin like this.
  20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If any shooting can be avoided, it should. That said, I think that the officer in this particular situation has a much better defense in court. It was a sudden decision and there was a taser pointed at him by Mr. Brooks, who was acting erratically. The officer can credibly argue self defense much more than the one who killed George Floyd can.

And if the law asks police officers to check on intoxicated/sleeping people on other people’s place of work or living, I can see why the police feel it would be unfair to pass judgement on those who legitimately face (or at least reasonably think they face a threat) out of these encounters. The fundamental question asked by some of the “defund the police” advocates is what exactly we need armed police to do that cannot be better addressed by other types of government workers. I personally think that the police are asked to do too much, but the exact parameter of their duty should be discussed.