1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you missed the Clyde Ceremony...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 3, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Few notes from the ceremony that I plan on including in the recap ... if I missed anything please let me know:

They brought out Clyde and his family to a standing ovation. Gene Petersen as Master of Ceremonies, introduced Clyde's first coach, Dr. Jack Ramsay. Dr. Jack said he never had a player who competed harder than Clyde. Kiki Vandeweghe was next. Kiki said if he could be like one person, he would be like Clyde Drexler.

Next was former teammate Buck Williams. Buck jokingly accused Clyde of cheating in golf by faking his scorecards. Buck also said Clyde always talked about playing for the Houston Rockets some day and Buck was glad he got that chance and to win the title with them.

The Doctor: Julius Erving was next. He got a tremendous standing ovation from the Houston faithful.

Dr. J said Clyde was one of the true airmen in the league, and there was "nothing accidental" about him.

Next was Dream.

HUGE ovation. He came out and he and Clyde gave each other a big hug.

Dream called Clyde "one of his best friends", and talked about watching him grow up as a person, his game and how it has grown.

The Alexanders gave Clyde and 18-carot gold watch with 18 diamonds set around his number 22. Les joked about how Clyde will be remembered, saying maybe even one day he'll be remembered as a "winning coach".

The Rockets then unveiled a huge frame with both his Rocket jerseys in it (red and gold as well as the Jetson's pajamas). They then raised his uni up next to Rudy T, Murphy and Moses.

Clyde called Carroll Dawson an "expert of the game in basketball". Clyde thanks "CD" for always having the answers for Clyde... what he needed to do to improve, etc. He also thanked former UH coach Guy V. Lewis for his teaching and inspiration. He thanked his mother and his wife for being his "heart, sul and inspiration." He thanked Rocket owner Les Alexander for pulling the trade in 1995 that took criticism at the time but brought the city their second championship.

Clyde said he had talked about playing for the Rockets from his rookie season to his 11th year in the league. He called Houston fans the "greatest sports fans in the world".

He said he wanted to be like Dr. J when he was a kid and patterned his game after him. Clyde told a story in 1983 of he and Hakeem going to see the Rockets against the Sixers and Dr. J brought them into the locker room to meet him. Clyde tried to stop himself, but laughed saying he and Hakeem were shaking about to "piss in their pants".

He called Buck Williams the hardest working guy in the league. He praised Kiki Vandeweghe for his ability to score and also thanked Dr. Jack Ramsay for teaching him so much - calling him a "great coach and mentor".

Then it was Hakeem the Dream's turn.

Clyde said he and Hakeem constantly talked about being on the same team. As soon as they gave up on the idea of it ever happening, Clyde said he became a Houston Rocket. He called Hakeem one of the best players to ever play the game and told him he loved him.

It ended there with a standing ovation from the crowd.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Clutch are you going to have an audio stream to down load of the event? I'd like to hear the whole thing again.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited February 03, 2000).]

3. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

It was a great ceremony [except for the technical difficulties, which irritated the hell outta me].

Watching Clyde out there reminded me why we were so lucky to get a guy like him. He is a class act on the court and off. There just aren't that many talented professional players that can do both anymore.

I was SO happy to see the uni that unfurled in the rafters, especially since it was old school Rocket Red and Gold!

On a weird sad note. I got the eerie feeling that I was watching Hakeem's retirement ceremony. Man, I'm gonna be ballin' the day it happens......

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I hope he doesnt talk alot like Clyde. Seriously clyde was getting me a little pissed off. He talked and talked and talked. But it was nice. [​IMG]

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Clutch- You forgot to mention the microphone problems. That was so annoying. It kept cutting off when drexler was talking. It was a big delay.

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

i was so lucky i was outside after the game and they were carrying out the framed jerseys they gave clyde and i was able to stop them and get a picture of the jerseys close up and everything just hope it came out good in the dark. thats a once in a life thing because those will probably be in his house now so i was lucky to see them up close

7. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

I still recall the feeling when Glyde was traded to the Rocks. What a thrill.

Thanks for the cap, I missed it.

------------------
    We would like to get rookie Francis on the break for some easy scoops in the first quarter...

8. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

You also forgot how almost everyone got close to a standing "O" but Les. It was quiet, and people around me were laughing in response to the silence. That should convince him to stay in town, right? He saved face with the "winning coach" bit, though.

[This message has been edited by B-ball freak (edited February 04, 2000).]