1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could alter the current playoff format ?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

1)Would you make changes ?

2)What changes would you make?

1) Yes

2) I would let each division winner get a playoff spot , but the home field would go to the team with a better record ( for ex: Saints would host the 7-9 Seahawks)

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You must be 8-8 to qualify for the playoffs.

Seeding and homefield is determined purely by record.

3. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Honestly if the Rams had their top 2 WR's , Donnie Avery , Mark Clayton for the season . They would have won the NFC West by few games .

But Avery and Clayton were pretty much on the IR the whole season , they lost Avery in the preseason .......Avery is fast , but Avery is even faster on a fast track in the dome .

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

1)No

2)I just said I wouldn't! Gah!

I don't mind bad teams getting homefield advantage for one week. No system is completely fair; divisions will have up and down years. If a division has a brutal schedule, they are handicapped, why punish them further by removing a playoff homegame for them, let alone a playoffspot? The 2nd team that had the brutal schedule is already being punished enoguh. I’m willing to accept a 7-9 team. It isn’t like this happens every year. If it becomes a common occurrence, sure lets pull out the red pen.

Further, why reward a team that couldn’t win its division by giving them homefield advantage? They very easily could have had a cupcake schedule to get to the playoffs, so why are they given another gift? Of course, there will be years like this, but appointing a czar to decide some sort of…. super bowl championship formula would provide situations just as ‘dumb’.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

All that I would change is the seeding. If you win your division, you win your division. You don't see anyone clamoring to keep teams that win their conference tourney with a losing record out of the NCAA tournament.

That said, New Orleans should be playing at home against the 7-9 Seahawks.

6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Like other said, give the divsion champ a playoff spot, but homefield should be about who has the best record.

like in the NBA, a 5th seed, can get homefield adv, if they have better record than the 4th seed.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

3 wild cards only 1 team gets a by that's it. I think everyone is overreacting to the Seahawks making the playoffs with a 7-9 record. It has never happen before you act likt this will be a recuring event.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't think this happens enough for a rule change.

Rocket River

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Keep everything else but have the team with the better record get home-field advantage.