1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could add one former Rocket not named Hakeem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brown Lost It, Sep 28, 2016.

?

Which player would you add?

1. Dwight Howard

1.4%
  2. Kyle Lowry

0.9%
  3. Stevie Franchise

1.4%
  4. Ralph Sampson

3.3%
  5. Moses Malone

36.3%
  6. Elvin Hayes

0.9%
  7. Yao Ming

33.5%
  8. Tracy McGrady

14.9%
  9. Robert Horry

3.3%
  10. Clyde Drexler

4.2%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Which big men do you think would be better in a different time?

I think today's crop of big guys is a bunch of stiffs.

Or do you think it's just because nobody is trained/developed to have a post presence anymore?

That's a possibility, but in that case I'd definitely want to bring Moses in as a super advantage!

2. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Moses or Yao. I voted Yao since I never got to see Moses' game and I think Yao's shooting fits more with today's NBA.

T-mac or any of the guards would be marginalized by Harden's presences. T-Mac and Harden could work very well but if Yao/Moses is on the board, I'm taking those two before looking at T-Mac.

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I think the game has evolved and the rules have changed quite substantially. This has resulted in there being a great benefit towards perimeter players.

It's actually not surprising considering the incredible impact (it all started with Jordan) that Kobe, LeBron, and Allen Iverson (yes him) have had marketing the game within the last 30 years.

Guys like Duncan, Dirk, and KG never had the mass appeal of those other 4, even while arguably being on the same level.

The NBA realized these players brought the majority of attention to the NBA. And the modern league is a reflection of that. Hence why for the first time ever exclusively jump shooting teams like the Warriors and Thunder were the best in the NBA.

It's fairly self evident that "playing in the post" is thought of as a dead skill for the majority of developing basketball players. Every big man is taught to stretch the floor now. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing.

I believe this has to be the case as I cannot reconcile how athletes (especially big men) have become more athletic, but none can play in the post.

The emphasis is just not there anymore.

And even if it was there I'm convinced it would not be as effective anymore. Big men really rely on their team. Even if you yourself have skills, if your teammates do not understand how to use your strengths to create synergy you will flop as a big man. Take as an example: the post-entry pass

Hence why if I had to pick, I would pick a guard or wing player to boost my team.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ralph would fit so perfectly with D'Antoni
    He's got point guard skills

Rashmon, kwakmeister and KDavis like this.
  5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

All that might be true, but those arguments fall short when you're talking about historically great outliers. Moses would wreck the league. He's the best player on the list. He was like Zach Randolph in Boogie Cousins' body, but without either player's makeup issues (and was an even better rebounder than both). Even if the team did have trouble getting him the ball like they did with Yao (not likely, but still), on this team? With this group? MM would easily average 6-7 offensive rebounds per game.

When the BPA is one of the greatest players of all time, take the BPA.

raining threes likes this.
  6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't think they fall short. We'll never know so it's irrelevant anyway. I will say though that rebounding alone is such an important skill that to be an all time elite at that makes Moses very highly valuable in any era.

As an aside, oddly enough, the team in the mid-late 00's did a much better job getting the ball to Yao than the current group has ever done getting the ball into the post.

Post play is dying a slow death.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Going to Yao in the post was often our best option on offense, even if it meant burning 8 seconds of clock trying to get him the ball. Going to Dwight in the post was often one of our worst options, but we did it anyway to keep his stubborn ass happy. It's not the style of play that's killing the post up game, it's just the dearth of a good post-up players. Which is why you'd want a guy like Moses beating up on the ninnies currently masquerading as pivots.

There's no damn way Draymond Green could cover Moses or keep him off the glass.

Drogba likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dray would sprain his wrist if he tried to nut punch Mo.

Drogba and napalm06 like this.
  9. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

Yao Ming would be so dominant second vote Moses Malone

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

For today's NBA, i go 25 year old T-Mac first, 32 year old Clyde 2nd choice.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The obvious choice is Moses Malone without a doubt, but.... I voted for Ralph because of his dominance and style of play. Ralph is more like the new age of big men then Moses, he could play away from the basket, could and did bring the ball up the court and still had a dominate back to the basket game and could pass and lead the break. Pre back injury Ralph would fit this era like a glove and would very likely be the most dominate big man in the game with no real close 2nd.

Yao would be my 2nd choice because he has very similar skills to Ralph. Less athleticism and not the same ability to lead the break but a great passer that can play facing the basket. Not as good of a rebounder or shot blocker but a better post defender. While Yao was a dominant post defender he was week out on the floor defending.

peleincubus likes this.
  12. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

Sam Cassel

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I doubt anyone but the 99er's have ever seen Elvin Hayes play.

14. raining threes

I voted Moses but The Big E is a close 2nd. Big E could shoot the outside shot that's needed in today's game.

The reason I voted Moses. In todays game he could score 6-7 buckets on putbacks and another 5-10 shots by posting up. Moses was also quick enough to guard the Green's/Ibaka's/Aldridge's of today's NBA. This also doesn't bring in the fact that Moses was probably the 2nd best rebounder in NBA history other than Wilt.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I had to go with Moses. Adding a three time MVP is hard to pass on. That said, in the modern NBA T-Mac would be devastating. I also think Robert Horry is interesting as he was better than Ryan Anderson and could definitely guard both power forwards and small forwards alike. Ultimately he is just so much less talented than Malone or McGrady that I can't consider him. I'm surprised by how many votes Yao is getting. I love Yao but with the fast past of the modern NBA he would be out of breath so quickly! He was a wonderful post player but he wasn't fast.

16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Tmac in his prime would give GSW and Cavs fits!! Put him at the 2 or 3 spot. Wow...

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That's exactly what I was going to say, Moses is the better player but when I first read the question my thought was Otis Thorpe would bring everything this team needs.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Good point about Hory - the prime version of him would be a beast in the modern NBA although Houston era Horry was more a slasher than a knock down shooter. I loved Yao's skill set but I also don't think he would be agile enough against modern small ball lineups. It would be one thing if he were a beast of a rebounder to add to that offensive skill set but he was probably below average as a rebounder for his size and he would be exposed pretty badly in the active small ball lineups.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Moses all the way. Would dominate even today's game. It would be like how everyone envisioned Dwight meshing with Harden, only this time they'd win more than 2nd round, I'm talking chips :)

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Where's the Pat Riley option?!