1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we trade Shane, we lose an identity...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Aug 16, 2009.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

For all of yoy posters that think shane should be enshrined into rockets history, what does shane do that Raja Bell can't? What tangible or intangibles changes?

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Forget Raja Bell. Raja Bell sucks, unless there is a Raja bell for Battier trade. I don't see why we are looking at another roleplayer instead of Brandon Roy or Rudy Gay.

We could have had Brandon Roy, if JVG wasn't so stubborn. He could have rested the starters and given our young players more playing time to develop. 3 more losses and the Rockets could have Brandon Roy instead of Battier.

We could have had Rudy Gay, if he wasn't traded away.

Brandon Roy>Raja Bell and Battier

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

:eek:
    yeah thats totally the sentiments I feel! man I dont know wat the rockets management and jvg were thinkin' but it seemed lyk they wanted to win that last game against the nuggets so bad as if his coaching job depended on it to have one extra win to miss the playoffs by one less game... :eek:

the thing that frustrates me hugely is, ok, we missed out on Brandon Roy...then we go draft one of the top 3 prospects in the draft at NUMBER EIGHT and then go trade him to the Grizzlies for Shane Battier???!!! I mean whoa thats probably the only good trade the Grizzlies have ever done that they actually won in the trade. By winning that trade I mean HUGELY ROBBING THE ROCKETS.

But after that chapter of the Rockets fable, Shane gets such a free ride on this board it seems he can do no wrong. His defending apparently conceals ALL his other aspects (ahem...I mean weaknesses)...

If there was to be one scapegoat for the Rockets failures, it should be Shane. After all whos more deserving of it?

4. leebigez

Raja Bell sucks? Oh, ok. I say it because trading a guy like shane for a guy like him, the rockets upgrade offensively and still have a good defender. Not to mention bell makes less and his contract is up after this season. Knowing Jordan and Brown, you might be able to squeez Aijinca out of them, but if not, straight up 1 for 1.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Blocking shots?

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

they already have gerald wallace ya know

7. leebigez

Shane is no g wallace. Shane would give them some flexibilty. Henderson starts at sg and wallace at sf with shane backing up both. In all honesty, they don't have to make a deal like this, i'm just looking at it as a guy that has the same intangibles and more tangible than shane with a expiring contract. They have 3 vet centers and one young one. Shane for Bell and Anjinca doesn't sound attractive but the rockets would have replaced shane and gotten a young 7ft project. It would give Morey another expiring to work with at the deadline.

8. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Shane is indeed no g wallace(crash)...and I don't think shanes gonna give them bobcats any flexibility at all...in fact its gonna make their team even more one dimensional and reduce flexibility and versatility in their team by far. shane isn't really a player who can play a 6th man or a backup role at this stage right now, and his playing style means hes best served as a starter with major minutes otherwise his game and impact/contribution on the team suffers a lot. He said before himself that he needs a few shots each game to warm him up and get into a rhythm. He is very much a rhythm player. His defensive needs major minutes to be effective to the team.

I wouldn't mind doing a deal like that at all. But Shane should fetch us more than expirings. lol if all we wanted for shane was expirings then we'd have trade him for quentin richardson and create a record for q-rich's trade records. yeah it'd be great to have raja bell, but we should be looking beyond the "defensive ace anchor with limited offense" model when replacing shane. raja bell actually fits your description really well, but remember we have ariza...and so trading shane we should be aiming to get someone whos "mr big stats"

James Posey would be Shane with more stats. but he's got a horrible contract and actually anyone like him would be redundant on our team with Trevor being our SF defensive stud.

Luol Deng would be awesome but his contract I'm afraid would scare Morey away.

I still think Rudy Fernandez fits our shane replacement perfectly.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What Shane lacks in athleticism, he counters with excellent footwork. Sure, he might be able to block every shot, but merely contesting every shot and keeping up with the offensive player whether he drives, or shoots is a feat that not many defenders today can do.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Battier’s game is a weird combination of obvious weaknesses and nearly invisible strengths. When he is on the court, his teammates get better, often a lot better, and his opponents get worse — often a lot worse. He may not grab huge numbers of rebounds, but he has an uncanny ability to improve his teammates’ rebounding. He doesn’t shoot much, but when he does, he takes only the most efficient shots. He also has a knack for getting the ball to teammates who are in a position to do the same, and he commits few turnovers. On defense, although he routinely guards the N.B.A.’s most prolific scorers, he significantly *reduces their shooting percentages. At the same time he somehow improves the defensive efficiency of his teammates — probably, Morey surmises, by helping them out in all sorts of subtle ways. “I call him Lego,” Morey says. “When he’s on the court, all the pieces start to fit together. And everything that leads to winning that you can get to through intellect instead of innate ability, Shane excels in. I’ll bet he’s in the hundredth percentile of every category.”

http://hoopthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/08/stats-and-shane-battiers-value.html

11. BetterThanEver

Raja Bell and Shane Battier put together still suck.
    Raja + Shane < Brandon Roy

If you believe in the 2-star model and a bunch of role players, good for you but it hasn't lead to a ring. :)

12. RocketGirl6

RocketGirl6 Member

Right now this team needs a leader, Shane fits that role, like Dikembe did last season. He's respected by everyone in the locker room & the other guys listen to him. And thanks knote32 for the link, it's a good read.

13. leebigez

W22, shane came off the bench for a 49 win memphis team behind posey. His game, to his credit is suited for the bench or as a starter. Whether its 38 mins or 28 mins, he's a 7ppg 4rebs type of defensive guy. You may think he can fetch more, but if you take the contenders, show me a better players on those teams that the rockets can get.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

leebigez, your hate for Shane Battier is completely irrational.

15. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

I feel you on that, but shane intangible got us did in the playoffs against the jazz......Dude was casper...Straight invisible in that series...

16. leebigez

I don't hate any man especially a good guy like shane , but my loyalty is to the houston rockets. If the rockets replace his talent and production and shave a yr of salary,they should do it.Raja is probabl a better player right now and is cheaper and does the same ground burning,loose ball chasing type of stuff. Plus he's been more productive in the playoffs and is a good defender. How is thaat hate?

17. BetterThanEver

If we had Brandon Roy, we wouldn't have even faced the Trailblazers in the playoffs. The Traillbazers wouldn't be nearly as good as they are now, with Rudy Gay or somebody else.

18. BetterThanEver

That's right! It's nice to have an intangibles player, but it would be better to have 3-stars like the Spurs(Ginobili, Parker, Duncan) or Celtics(Ray Allen, Garnett, Pierce).

These cheesy little moneyball deals for MLE players won't make an impact in the playoffs. The Rockets need a star player. They have the potential to draft star player again.

I sure hope Adelman and Morey see the light. I would hate to see more moral victories that lower our draft ranking a la JVG, when we have already been eliminated from the playoffs. It would force us to try and trade up in the draft, which Morey has tried and failed each year.

Moral victories. :rolleyes:

They don't bring impact players or rings, but it makes us feel better about the Rockets.

19. kaninthy

kaninthy Member

People here hate shane because he dosnt do jack squat on the offense end other than spot up for corner 3's. Shane has more value to this team than most people think. he is the locker room guy every one listens too. he does his JOB night in and night out. how can you hate on a guy that does what is asked of him from his teammates and his coaches and rockets orginization. his job is not to score but to play hard nose defense against the other teams top perimeter player. im pretty sure if he was asked to be more aggresive and shot more he would. look what he did for duke in his college days he was one of the top collegiate player at his time. He stays within the offense and defensive schemes. If he does get traded i hope it for someone that can impact this team other than on the basketball floor. people who hate on shane must not like TEAM basketball.

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

battier is not above anyone on the championship teams in my eyes. not in rockets history. he will be remembered for hustle and his off court persona. thus far at least.

i like the guy, but he has done little to help the team win games in the fourth quarter.