1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we trade Shane, we lose an identity...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Aug 16, 2009.

1. prs325

prs325 Member

Shane, Scola, Yao and Hayes are responsible for the winning culture of the team. There is an element of work ethic, preparation, playing all out, playing with heart that is evident on the floor.

If we remove Shane, it takes away from that level of play and that culture. We need to add players who will continue and uphold this culture, thats why we had signed Ariza because he has those traits and hope that Landry, Brooks and Lowry will continue to develop.

If we trade Battier, we better be getting someone who has great upside!!!

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You obviously underestimate the 2nd rd of the Western Conference. Latter is heavily contested and the margin is very slim. Everybody knows we had a shot at Denver and Orlando. All we need is another allstar who can play offense and defense. We were not far away that is why we ought never think about rebuilding from the scratch.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How can you say that. Screw the Faker's talent! We will build on what we have!

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its different when you have the best player in the game. The best team always win. Most times its the team with the most talent and the best players. Shane couldn't win a playoff game before coming to the rockets. Scola was the best big in europe, where does he rank in the west? Hayes should never enter a game unless its situational. Thats what you call a foundation? Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Gotta love leebigez' positive attitude :rolleyes:...

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I jut see what i see. Its about being real whether people agree or not. I just dont understand posters talking about lifetime contracts for guys like shane scola, and hayes. The team won 50 games with david wesley and howard at pf. The team won 50 games with chuck hayes at pf and alston at thepg. The team won 50 games with a rookie international player and 2 other rookies in the rotation.

I just think if moses can be traded in his prime, shaq and kidd has been traded multiple times, why cant role players get traded?

7. TheGreat121

TheGreat121 Member

my opinion is that we should keep every1 we are a championship contendor whenn every1 is healthy. look at what we did against te lkers without tracy and yao can u imagine what wuld of happened if we had the and dike

8. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

The potential is there but the timing is ripe to move players for " better" players. Keeping them would mean losing them to free agency and getting nothing in return. If all comes back this season and the team is doing well then expected then keep all.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

LOL! Your response attacks me, but there is nothing in your response that attacks my position. I should have said the Rockets defense was there as always, but the big difference that the Rockets had in those games versus their losses was that they could score in those games.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

WE HAVEN'T WON ANYTHING...ANYTHING. Who cares if we lose our identity? Seems like we need a new one anyway. We must upgrade. If that means trading Shane, or Scola, or Yao, or Mcgrady, or Sam Cassel, or Otis Thorpe...it doesn't matter.

I know there are some people that love to watch the dedication and professionalism of some of our players - win or lose. I like to watch winning basketball, period. Sure, it would be a bad move to trade Battier for just any scrub but if we get better overall production for our team, I'm all for it. And there are potential deals out there. He could very well be moved to a contending team - that feels they're 1 defensive stopper away - for some nice young talent. It's weird that people become so attached to specific players and can't bare to see them go where as I'm all for trading my 3 favorite players on the team.

We need to get younger, and not just for the sake of being young but to make ourselves appealing to teams looking to trade superstar players down the road. Oh yeah, did I mention we need a superstar player. If you disagree with that, you can go try to find the percentage of championship teams that didn't have a superstar. The one we have/had is too injury prone to depend on.

1 person likes this.
  11. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

What? He's the best post defender on the Rockets, but that was one hell of an exaggeration.

12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

we should trade battier and sign bowen...they are the same type of player.

both are not "above the rim" threats and both basically play great d and knock down wide open 3's.

we should package shane and brent barry into a deal and maybe throw in lowry too

13. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Ahem... I hate to interrupt the patting on the back fest going on in this thread, but I suggest you take a look at our post season record for the past 6-7 years.

Shane Battier brings nothing to the table. I want to watch winning basketball, not a "classy guy" missing wide open 3's.

14. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

trade battier, sign bruce bowen...bowen brings championship pedigree

15. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

hahaha. Wow, are you actually being serious? You want to switch Battier, for a cheap shoting, non hustling, bad attitude, 7 years older, Bruce Bowen.

WHY?????? b/c he was a part of a championship spurs team and was easily the worst player in the starting line up if not the rotation at that time.

We would not trade a player and mentor like battier for an older version who everyone in the league hates, because he's a cheap defender. Bowen does not fit in with the Rockets and our attitude towards the game.

16. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

do yall think that we will actually land Pops mensah bonsu?

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice sig...

18. kenwonobi

kenwonobi Member

Nobosy should be untradeable for the right deal. What if you get another identity with a trade that involves Battier for a guy like Joe Smith who provides us another leader type? You cant make anybody untradeable. Maybe one day when Yao comes back some team decides they want to save money on a contract and take Yao for a higher priced superstar like Wade from a losing organization who needs a star in return who brings in money from fans but is still a downgrade in talent in contract money. Thats why we should have been listening to the Yao trades all this time. Maybe we could have already gotten one of those deals if we would have? Lord knows we where already offered Tayshaun Prince and Billups for him but we didnt listen the either. Thats why nobody should be intouchable for the ability to upgrade and make the team a Championship team. That is the goal and nothing else. Not fandom for a single player and shouldnt be money because winning brings more money and so does Championships. It should be who do we get if we trade the guy and does that make us better or closer to a Championship? ;)

19. kenwonobi

kenwonobi Member

I meant to say Joe Johnson.

20. kenwonobi

kenwonobi Member

and I meant to say offered Prince and Billups for Tmac.